Sheldon richardson trade for hundley?

D

Deleted member 6794

somebody will give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for hundley. teams trade for qbs with little to no game experience all the time. Mark brunell, aaron Brooks, Matt hasselbach etc

All of these trades happened more than 15 years ago. It seems teams have changed their philosophy regarding what to give up for a quarterback that hasn't played any meaningful snaps in the regular season.

As an example the Eagles only received a seventh round pick for trading Matt Barkley to the Cardinals in 2015 while the Patriots acquired the 243rd pick in return by sending Ryan Mallett to the Texans three years ago.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Glennon & Brock O. have both played regular season games....both got pretty good contracts...both I wouldn't want to trade for if I needed a QB.

Trubisky & Watson vs Hundley....think I'd take Hundley

I just think there's significant value when you have a Hundley w/ a few years in a pro system under the best QB in the game vs those first round QB selections.

Fact is, Hundley has a price. What that price is cannot be determined by anyone but the actual buyer.

Back to the topic, I'm not a big fan of Richardson.

Reaction score
All of these trades happened more than 15 years ago. It seems teams have changed their philosophy regarding what to give up for a quarterback that hasn't played any meaningful snaps in the regular season.

As an example the Eagles only received a seventh round pick for trading Matt Barkley to the Cardinals in 2015 while the Patriots acquired the 243rd pick in return by sending Ryan Mallett to the Texans three years ago.
We can't fully compare these two but we do have the results of their first preseason performances as a gauge.
While Mallet started by playing his first 1/2 preseason game strong (12/19 for 164 yards and 1 TD) Mallett largely struggled throughout the remainder of preseason by throwing a pick 6 game 2 and finished his preseason debut game 4 with a paultry 6/16 for 57 yards. He was lucky to have a job and had he not been drafted so high, he would've been sent packing by many teams. He consequently luckily made the 53 so to speak as the #3 QB.
I don't think 1 of the 32 teams would've sent Hundley packing after Leading the league in many passing categories. These 2 finished their first preseason on opposite ends of the spectrum. Mallet was a BIG ? .. while Hundley was a preseason MVP level QB and continued exactly what he did at the collegiate level with a high level of consistency and strong football IQ
It's agreed that Mallet was picked higher in the draft.. but 10X out 10 Hundley would've been the choice if these 2 competed for a job.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
For everyone advocating for Hundley to be traded for a high pick, would you want him to start here in Green Bay this season? That is the type of QB teams give high picks for, not a flyer. Rookie draft is an exception to that. I do not know why except that is easier to defend to your owner when your job is on the line.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mike Glennon & Brock O. have both played regular season games....both got pretty good contracts...both I wouldn't want to trade for if I needed a QB.

Trubisky & Watson vs Hundley....think I'd take Hundley

I just think there's significant value when you have a Hundley w/ a few years in a pro system under the best QB in the game vs those first round QB selections.

Fact is, Hundley has a price. What that price is cannot be determined by anyone but the actual buyer.

Back to the topic, I'm not a big fan of Richardson.

We can't fully compare these two but we do have the results of their first preseason performances as a gauge.
While Mallet started by playing his first 1/2 preseason game strong (12/19 for 164 yards and 1 TD) Mallett largely struggled throughout the remainder of preseason by throwing a pick 6 game 2 and finished his preseason debut game 4 with a paultry 6/16 for 57 yards. He was lucky to have a job and had he not been drafted so high, he would've been sent packing by many teams. He consequently luckily made the 53 so to speak as the #3 QB.
I don't think 1 of the 32 teams would've sent Hundley packing after Leading the league in many passing categories. These 2 finished their first preseason on opposite ends of the spectrum. Mallet was a BIG ? .. while Hundley was a preseason MVP level QB and continued exactly what he did at the collegiate level with a high level of consistency and strong football IQ
It's agreed that Mallet was picked higher in the draft.. but 10X out 10 Hundley would've been the choice if these 2 competed for a job.

I truly believe both of you put way too much value into Hundley's performance during the preseason two years ago. I'm fine with him being the team's backup quarterback but there's no reason to feel comfortable at all about him being on top of the depth chart.

I'm absolutely convinced none of you would be OK with giving up an early draft pick for him if you would be a fan of a team in need of a starting QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised when we drafted him period. Even though I had him as a 3rd round pick and he fell to us in 5th! I watched him play at UCLA very often and can honestly say that he was a leader of that offense that would make nice throws and sneaky little runs. But what stood out the most was his lack of accuracy and inconsistency! He reminds me of Josh Freeman and I never thought Freeman was a bonifide starter, same with Hundley imo. Even with his miracle preseason vs 3rd string. But I am excited to see how Callahan looks this preseason. I thought it was pretty cool the way he played out there, even Rodgers seemed impressed. Got to love those UDFAs, always root for the underdog!

Reaction score
I was surprised when we drafted him period. Even though I had him as a 3rd round pick and he fell to us in 5th! I watched him play at UCLA very often and can honestly say that he was a leader of that offense that would make nice throws and sneaky little runs. But what stood out the most was his lack of accuracy and inconsistency!
Inconsistent and inaccurate? Really? Are we talking about the same player??

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-hundley-1.html
Take the time to click on the passer category leaderboards at the bottom.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
For everyone advocating for Hundley to be traded for a high pick, would you want him to start here in Green Bay this season? That is the type of QB teams give high picks for, not a flyer. Rookie draft is an exception to that. I do not know why except that is easier to defend to your owner when your job is on the line.
In place of Aaron Rodgers? Um. I'm not even going to entertain that because i don't want bad karma for Aaron.
I for one said Hundles probably somewhere in the 3rd round value to many teams but to GB he's worth more (2nd round would've been the least we'd trade for) because he's been in our system now for 2 years (albeit 1 injured) and I believe we had him graded as a 3rd-4th round prospect 2 years ago to begin with (which is why we traded up in the 5th) I'd argue the opposite.. that he hasn't done enough to drop stock. It doesn't make a lick of sense to trade him for a day 3 pick IMO because we need a solid #2 backup and Id argue that if Brett remains uninjured he's exactly that.
Furthermore, as far as the notion that GB may want to eventually trade him, why is that such a spectacular reach? We all know he's not going to start in GB while #12 is playing. But we also know there's a good chance Brett wants to complete for a starting job on another team eventually and not just sit on the bench behind a hall of fame QB.
Regardless of his future performance at GB we all want to get the highest value for him and while a high draft pick may be optimistic at this juncture, I don't think it's impossible if he performs at a similar high level again. Preseason or no preseason there are always teams looking to improve their QB situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

I for one said Hundles probably somewhere in the 3rd round value to many teams but to GB he's worth more (2nd round would've been the least we'd trade for) because he's been in our system now for 2 years (albeit 1 injured) and I believe we had him graded as a 3rd-4th round prospect 2 years ago to begin with (which is why we traded up in the 5th) I'd argue the opposite.. that he hasn't done enough to drop stock. It doesn't make a lick of sense to trade him for a day 3 pick IMO because we need a solid #2 backup and Id argue that if Brett remains uninjured he's exactly that.
Furthermore, as far as the notion that GB may want to eventually trade him, why is that such a spectacular reach? We all know he's not going to start in GB while #12 is playing. But we also know there's a good chance Brett wants to complete for a starting job on another team eventually and not just sit on the bench behind a hall of fame QB.

I would prefer the Packers to hold on to Hundley for the duration of his rookie contract as in my opinion it's more important to have a decent backup quarterback than to add another draft selection. In addition the team would receive a compensatory pick if he leaves in free agency after the 2018 season, possibly even a third rounder if another club decides to sign him as their starter.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an example the Eagles only received a seventh round pick for trading Matt Barkley to the Cardinals in 2015 while the Patriots acquired the 243rd pick in return by sending Ryan Mallett to the Texans three years ago.[/QUOTE said:
matt barkley and ryan mallet arent comprable. they arernt starting qbs. lets see what jimmy garapolo gets traded for

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to hold on to Hundley for the duration of his rookie contract as in my opinion it's more important to have a decent backup quarterback than to add another draft selection. In addition the team would receive a compensatory pick if he leaves in free agency after the 2018 season, possibly even a third rounder if another club decides to sign him as their starter.
It was reported that we were shopping him before/during draft so I'm wondering what management really thinks of Hundley. It seems fans are pretty split about his future as a Packer!

Reaction score
As noted above I agree with keeping him IF his stock doesn't rise which is probably the most likely scenario. Good point on the comp pick tho that needs to be in the consideration.
There seems to be some resistance in here to him not being considered for a trade player or draft pick, even to the degree of diminishing his career accomplishments? While I certainly agree he is not a full fledged proven NFL QB, at this juncture he's not a throw away QB either (as several posters would imply) or we would never entertain him being our #2.
I would like to see this kid get a shot at a starting job someday. I don't think and don't want that to happen in GB for obvious reasons. I think with some real game experience he could be very serviceable for another team. Even as a backup there is a definitive need for solid backups as you eluded to.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was reported that we were shopping him before/during draft so I'm wondering what management really thinks of Hundley. It seems fans are pretty split about his future as a Packer!

Difficult for a QB to have a future in Green Bay with Rodgers there.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In place of Aaron Rodgers? Um. I'm not even going to entertain that because i don't want bad karma for Aaron.
Regardless of his future performance at GB we all want to get the highest value for him and while a high draft pick may be optimistic at this juncture, I don't think it's impossible if he performs at a similar high level again. Preseason or no preseason there are always teams looking to improve their QB situation.

I forget what it is like to have a QB problem

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just imagine the expectations that will be on the next Packer QB after Rodgers !

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage."

Basically, extremely inflated completion percentage.

You mean like pretty much every college qb? I am sure his numbers are higher thab most but it is hard to find a college qb whose accuracy numbers aren't inflated. Happens in the NFL too. Look at Sam Bradford's numbers last year. Tons of check downs and he is getting paid a ton and took a first and fourth to get. Not saying Huntley is even remotely worth that but I am saying most college qbs and even some pro qbs run similar offenses to Hundley's. The Rodgers of the world who can be deadly accurate while throwing a lot of deep passes are almost extinct

Reaction score
"In 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage."

Basically, extremely inflated completion percentage.
Answer me this. If you're insinuating that Bretts entire career is based on less than 6 yard check downs. How the heck does the FIRST 2 QBs selected in subsequent Drafts 2016 and 2017 have within +-.3 yards per attempt from Brett Hundleys career average?!
Jared Goff end up with 7.8 yards per pass and Mitchell Trubisky end up with 8.3 per. Hundley career average was smack dab in between the 2.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have to know what Goff's and Trubinsky's completion % was. I would expect that it's lower, hence fewer completions at greater distance = more completions at shorter distance. Or, perhaps, what were the YACs for all three? Maybe Hundley was throwing to guys who could turn **** passes into good yardage. Or, maybe - wait you just said answer this, and those are two just off the top of my head. Refute those, and I'll of some other ways that could happen. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect Hundley to be Rodgers backup for another two seasons and leave in free agency once his rookie contract has expired.

While I certainly agree he is not a full fledged proven NFL QB, at this juncture he's not a throw away QB either (as several posters would imply) or we would never entertain him being our #2.

I don't consider Hundley to be a terrible quarterback by any means but he hasn't proven anything at the pro level at all.

Would have to know what Goff's and Trubinsky's completion % was. I would expect that it's lower, hence fewer completions at greater distance = more completions at shorter distance. Or, perhaps, what were the YACs for all three? Maybe Hundley was throwing to guys who could turn **** passes into good yardage. Or, maybe - wait you just said answer this, and those are two just off the top of my head. Refute those, and I'll of some other ways that could happen. :)

Here are PFF's passing charts from Goff and Trubisky during their final college seasons, unfortunately I don't have access to the same information about Hundley.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly believe both of you put way too much value into Hundley's performance during the preseason two years ago. I'm fine with him being the team's backup quarterback but there's no reason to feel comfortable at all about him being on top of the depth chart.

I'm absolutely convinced none of you would be OK with giving up an early draft pick for him if you would be a fan of a team in need of a starting QB.

I truly believe you're incorrect.

It isn't the preseason, it's the fact he was up for a trade potentially around the high 2nd round. However none of us know exactly what the offerings were. I had no stock in Hundley until I heard he was being shopped around during the draft.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize Hundley was the starting quarterback for the Packers.

What? dont really understand what your saying. but you are correct the packers will likely recieve a 3rd round pick when he signs to be a starter somewhere else thus TT wont trade him for anything less than a 2nd or maybe a high 3rd. either way i think hes gonna be a good player in the league. Rodgers wasnt the player he is now when he came in the league and i think sitting behind favre was priceless the same can be said for hundley sitting behind rodgers.

Reaction score
I expect Hundley to be Rodgers backup for another two seasons and leave in free agency once his rookie contract has expired.

I don't consider Hundley to be a terrible quarterback by any means but he hasn't proven anything at the pro level at all.

Here are PFF's passing charts from Goff and Trubisky during their final college seasons, unfortunately I don't have access to the same information about Hundley.

That's an interesting chart. At first glance I was amazed at how many TDs are scored from passes in the middle 1/3 of the field.

Members online

Latest posts