Sheldon richardson trade for hundley?

D

Deleted member 6794

What? dont really understand what your saying.

You posted that I can't compare Hundley's trade value to Mallett or Barkley as both of them aren't starting quarterbacks. I just pointed out that Hundley isn't either.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just realized.... after Hundley has another great preseason.... maybe then the jets, or some other team, would be willing to drop some trade value for the young qb?

Sheldon Richardson at de still sounds like a sweet move to me...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You posted that I can't compare Hundley's trade value to Mallett or Barkley as both of them aren't starting quarterbacks. I just pointed out that Hundley isn't either.

hundley is not a starter but he is viewed as a starter around the league just as jimmy g is. just as matt hasselbach was etc. barkley and mallet have not been viewed as future starters

D

Deleted member 6794

hundley is not a starter but he is viewed as a starter around the league just as jimmy g is. just as matt hasselbach was etc. barkley and mallet have not been viewed as future starters

Mallett was widely considered to be a possible starter before the Patriots traded him. I have no idea what makes you think that teams around the league view Hundley as a sure fire starter.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hundley has to get through a preseason healthy before they're able to dangle him to anybody.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Hundley has to get through a preseason healthy before they're able to dangle him to anybody.

In my opinion Hundley has to perform at least at an adequate level in a regular season game before another team even thinks about giving up a decent draft pick for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never even heard Hundley's name mentioned on any national NFL discussion on the topic of potential QB starters.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Hundley has to perform at least at an adequate level in a regular season game before another team even thinks about giving up a decent draft pick for him.
But look at what teams are willing to spend to move up in the draft to get a qb... gross over spending for a less experienced prospect. Where as Hundley has the size, scrambling ability, arm. He led the NFL in the preseason stats his rookie year. You want to talk about potential... held out because McCarthy wanted him healthy for the regular season, in his second year.
For GB to give him the #2 spot without playing a snap in his second year... and him having been in the NFL for two full seasons under Arron Rodgers..... that's valuable experience...

So in my opinion, if a team is willing to drop two firsts and a high second to move up a half dozen spots to #1 or #2 overall pick to get Goff, wentz or Trabitsky??? Why you could have a qb like Hundley available for a mid 1St rounder?

D

Deleted member 6794

But look at what teams are willing to spend to move up in the draft to get a qb... gross over spending for a less experienced prospect. Where as Hundley has the size, scrambling ability, arm. He led the NFL in the preseason stats his rookie year. You want to talk about potential... held out because McCarthy wanted him healthy for the regular season, in his second year.
For GB to give him the #2 spot without playing a snap in his second year... and him having been in the NFL for two full seasons under Arron Rodgers..... that's valuable experience...

So in my opinion, if a team is willing to drop two firsts and a high second to move up a half dozen spots to #1 or #2 overall pick to get Goff, wentz or Trabitsky??? Why you could have a qb like Hundley available for a mid 1St rounder?

There wasn't a single team in the league willing to spend even a fourth rounder on Hundley in the 2015 draft. There's no reason to believe another club has changed their mind because of his preseason performance two years ago.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you would think but thats not always possible. and teams give up draft picks for playets whove never played a regular season game all the time its called the draft. so in my opinion for a team to give up a 2nd round pick for hundley the only condition that needs to be met is. that team must prefer hundley to the quarterbacks available at that pick.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They give up picks in the draft because their evaluation tells them that the player is worth going to get. Nobody was moving up in the 1st or 2nd to get Hundley on draft day. He lasted 5 rounds, which tells me teams didn't think a lot about him coming out of college. He hasn't done much of anything since to prove otherwise either. He had a decent preseason one year, but after watching the likes whoever those guys were, Harrell, Brohm, etc, anyone with anything would look like a pro bowler.

It's been so long since i've seen Hundley play about all I remember is he seemed to be good at extending a play when it broke down too. But it was only for a handful of preseason games. It's never mattered and who knows, maybe he flushes the same way and throws the same pass, but since he was playing against guys that will never play in a regular season game and nobody planned for it, he got away with it. Maybe he's just really good? Nobody knows, and until he does something consistently in the regular season, I don't think he's going to be worth much to anybody else but us.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so the question is name the quaterbacks youd rather draft than hundley in the 2018 draft ? keep in mind hundley will have the benefit of 3 years of nfl coaching at that point. Now what pick would you have to have to get those guys likely a high first rounder so if you like what you see on tape from hundley albiet in the pre season why not spend your 2nd or 3rd round pick on him

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They give up picks in the draft because their evaluation tells them that the player is worth going to get. Nobody was moving up in the 1st or 2nd to get Hundley on draft day. He lasted 5 rounds, which tells me teams didn't think a lot about him coming out of college. He hasn't done much of anything since to prove otherwise either. He had a decent preseason one year, but after watching the likes whoever those guys were, Harrell, Brohm, etc, anyone with anything would look like a pro bowler.

It's been so long since i've seen Hundley play about all I remember is he seemed to be good at extending a play when it broke down too. But it was only for a handful of preseason games. It's never mattered and who knows, maybe he flushes the same way and throws the same pass, but since he was playing against guys that will never play in a regular season game and nobody planned for it, he got away with it. Maybe he's just really good? Nobody knows, and until he does something consistently in the regular season, I don't think he's going to be worth much to anybody else but us.
Is he even worth much to the Packers?
We as fans can't tell because when he is inserted , rarely, the play calls are so conservative that we don't know what he can really do.
When MM does put him in, he should let him play like it's the start of the first quarter.
Without letting him play like a starter us fans don't really know how good he is.
Perhaps the coaching staff doesn't feel he is good enough to just turn him loose.
Perhaps it's McArthey's inability to stick the dagger in the opponent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only time I remember hundley being put in for Rodgers was win the game was over. you run the clock out and go home. Anyway, I hope to never have to see hundley play when it counts. I trust these coaches now how to manage players and figure out how to use them.
so the question is name the quaterbacks youd rather draft than hundley in the 2018 draft ? keep in mind hundley will have the benefit of 3 years of nfl coaching at that point. Now what pick would you have to have to get those guys likely a high first rounder so if you like what you see on tape from hundley albiet in the pre season why not spend your 2nd or 3rd round pick on him
even quicker, tell me how many teams passed, and how many times at picking Hundley? How much more do you think they know about him considering he hasn't seen a meaningful snap outside of a couple preseason games 3 years ago considering they haven't seen him to a minute of work in an NFL practice and unlike college coaches, the Packers aren't sharing information about him with scouts or staff?

I can't even tell you who's going to be the QB for the Badgers this year let alone another college team. I don't care. I can tell you there will be at least 2-4 QB's that teams around the league will covent much more than Hundley and that's even if he does play in meaningful snaps this year and puts on a clinic.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another thing to consider is that teams drafting a quarterback get that player on a cheap rookie contract for four years while Hundley is set to become a free agent after the 2018 season. After every other club passed on him for four rounds two years ago I highly doubt any general manager is keen on giving up an early pick for him as long as he doesn't perform at a decent level in a meaningful game.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Preseason isn't just nothing. All those guys are playing for their careers. But I think Warren Sapp said it. In preseason, YOU BETTER shine. The ones that belong in the league, stand out...
Hundley was the 1St team allpro, the preseason of his rookie year... he belongs. His running, scrambling, accuracy and timing,was obvious. He killed it.

I compare it to our hall of fame icons rookie year. And Hundley without knowing the story, you'd think Hundley was the first round pick... I hadn't seen a rookie qb come in and look that good/great ,in the Ted Thompson era.

With the logic you all are presenting. One might say that Aaron Rodgers wasn't worth squat because he played behind the old iron horse, Brett Favre, and didn't get a chance to prove it in the regular season until year three in Dallas. Or that that half game of football ,was the deciding factor in trading our hall of fame qb the following year....

Fact is. McCarthy gave his 5th round, 2nd year qb the #2 qb spot, without seeing a preseason snap that year... That doesn't happen in Greenbay...

Hundley belongs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can't follow my logic and after Rodgers' first preseason I'd venture a guess that every team that passed on him the first time around, would have passed on him again. Hundley looks fine for playing a couple preseason games a couple years ago. He looked better than the junk we had previously. and the other fact is Hundley did not get the #2 spot without seeing a snap, Tolzien was the #2 Quarterback. Hundley was not. Hundley didn't get promoted till year 2 after the Packers current #2, Tolzien, left via FA to the Colts.

So you're right, 5th round qb's don't get promoted to the #2 spot without seeing a snap, not even in GB LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Hundley consistently kills it in the Preseason, his trade value will soar, but.....unless the Packers are confident in another QB to be able to back up Rodgers, the deal better be pretty sweet to get rid of a guy that could be the difference if Rodgers is unable to play for any period of time.

As Captain pointed out, the Packers have Hundley for 2 more seasons on a cheap rookie contract, no reason to start thinking trade, unless his value goes up and the ability of another Packer QB (Callahan or Hill) rises with it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall what Mark Brunell brought when he was traded but, I wouldn't think Hundley's trade value would exceed Brunell's.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't recall what Mark Brunell brought when he was traded but, I wouldn't think Hundley's trade value would exceed Brunell's.

Jags gave the Packers 2 picks for Brunell, a third and a fifth-round pick (Nos. 66 and 170).

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that teams drafting a quarterback get that player on a cheap rookie contract for four years while Hundley is set to become a free agent after the 2018 season. After every other club passed on him for four rounds two years ago I highly doubt any general manager is keen on giving up an early pick for him as long as he doesn't perform at a decent level in a meaningful game.

yeah i did consider the rookie contract aspect im sure thats tsken into consideration. but franchise qbs are so rare i dont think that would deter a team if they believe the qb in question could be there starter for the next 10 years. i get any gm would prefer to see a player they are trading for preform well in a meaningful game. my point is thats not always possible. for example matt hasslebach never did and he allowed gb to move up 7 spots in the 1st round and add a 3rd round pick. also seeing a qb preform well in a meaningfull game doesnt always workout. see matt flynn he had the best game of a packer qb in history albiet i guess you could argue that game wasnt meaningful but he also played very well against new england and then fell flat on his face when he got paid to be a starter. i guess my point is i believe at least one gm would be willing to take a risk a hundley. drafting a player in the 2/3rd round is just as risky if not more risky than trading that pick for a player that at the very least has stuck in the nfl for 3 seasons which tells you the coaches/gm that know the most about him value him. also do you not believe the reports that the packers were offered a pick in the 2nd or 3rd round for hundley? i mean its defintly possible the packers made that up and leaked it in an attempt to drum up interest but i doubt it.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can't follow my logic and after Rodgers' first preseason I'd venture a guess that every team that passed on him the first time around, would have passed on him again. Hundley looks fine for playing a couple preseason games a couople years ago. He looked better than the junk we had previously. and the other fact is Hundley did not get the #2 spot without seeing a snap, Tolzien was the #2 Quarterback. Hundley was not. Hundley didn't get promoted till year 2 after the Packers current #2, Tolzien, left via FA to the Colts.

So you're right, 5th round qb's don't get promoted to the #2 spot without seeing a snap, not even in GB LOL
If you read my post again. You will see I was talking about last year. When Hundley didn't have a preseason snap, yet he was considered the number two qb. In his second year only....
Typically, a 5th round qb gets hurt in training camp, and doesn't get a snap in the whole preseason. He doesn't make the team...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't need to read your post again once was enough. Hundley was in the second season and they saw a lot of him the season before. He was competing against 2 Undrafted quarterbacks .

I'd say nine times out of 10 when you're the number three quarterback regardless of your draft position and they let the guy ahead of you walk away and free agency the following year and your toughest competition is undrafted rookie free agents you're almost guaranteed a spot on the team . Even in Green Bay

D

Deleted member 6794

With the logic you all are presenting. One might say that Aaron Rodgers wasn't worth squat because he played behind the old iron horse, Brett Favre, and didn't get a chance to prove it in the regular season until year three in Dallas. Or that that half game of football ,was the deciding factor in trading our hall of fame qb the following year....

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers front office and coaching staff wasn't convinced that Rodgers was a starting caliber quarterback until that Dallas game. Heck, Thompson even spent a second and a seventh round pick on Brohm and Flynn in the 2008 draft to hedge their bets.

If Hundley consistently kills it in the Preseason, his trade value will soar.

I highly doubt that Hundley's trade value will soar because of his performance during the preseason this year.

but franchise qbs are so rare i dont think that would deter a team if they believe the qb in question could be there starter for the next 10 years.

I have absolutely no idea why any general manager would consider Hundley a possible franchise quarterback.

also do you not believe the reports that the packers were offered a pick in the 2nd or 3rd round for hundley?

I heard about the Packers receiving an offer for Hundley during this year's draft but not that they were offered a swcond or third round pick.

Latest posts