Sheilds, Lacy

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Shields is done. I hope he doesnt come back as his long term health is at risk. For Lacy he needs to prove hes not all about going to the Golden Corral.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I pity thet organization that gives Lacy a long term contract. If the guy can't stay in shape during his rookie deal, there's no way he's going to after he gets paid.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rip situation is a tough call. Wasn't entirely his fault that caused the fumble. Actually wasn't his fault at all.

Just like I don't blame Cook's fumble caused by a punch by Norman.

Interesting. Could you go into more detail about when a fumble IS the fault of the ballcarrier?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is finished. Packers need to sign the best free agent cb available with the cap space from cutting Shields. Talent level on this defense is so abysmal that getting a decent cb is not nearly enough. Where do you even start? Hhcd, mathews, Daniels all underperformed badly both today and much of the season.
I agree with much of your post but saying HHCD under-performed much of the year is ridiculous. The kid is on the rise and had a great year.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. Could you go into more detail about when a fumble IS the fault of the ballcarrier?

HUH? If you agree that most fumbles are not the ball carrier's fault that had it punched or ripped then we are in the same boat.

Granted that majority fumbles today are enacted by forcing the ball out of the ball carrier's arms by punching(helmet including) or ripping by the opponent, there are incidents where the fumble could have been prevented had the player secured the ball before being contacted or hitting the ground. Those are fart fumbles that had no influence by a punched or ripped ball.

I may be wrong but I think Starks and Lacy had a fart fumble that could not have been blamed on anyone but themselves.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The Packers will for sure release Shields adding $9 million of cap space. The team should let Lacy walk away in free agency and use a mid-round pick on a running back.

The Packers need a #1 cornerback and not a converted receiver still needing development. I would prefer the team to address the position in free agency.
My reference was toward Sunday's game, we have developement DBs so any thing on the table that day would not have hurt

D

Deleted member 6794

This is the first I have read anything coming from Shields himself. Not a lot of information, but interesting to hear what he has to say....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...l-having-headaches-wants-to-continue-playing/

I was shocked to hear that Shields still plans on playing again. Hopefully no team will offer him a contract.

While I am not 100% sure about IR rules I read this:

Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) in which they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team.

One aspect of Sam that disappointed me was what appeared to be his complete disappearing act from the team after his concussion. I never saw him on the sidelines, read about him being at practice mentoring guys, etc. Sure he couldn't practice or play, but he was getting paid a lot of money, couldn't he have least helped the team out in other ways? I am pretty sure Jordy hung around all of 2015 to help the team in anyway he could.

Shields spent most of the time after he got injured at home in Florida. While I agree that I like having players on injured reserve in the facility around the team I´m not sure that would have been smart with Sam as he still suffers from concussion symptoms now.

If we keep Lacy, what do we do with Mont? Use him as receiver or switch him up with Lacy?

I´m absolutely convinced the Packers will use Montgomery as a running back going forward.

Would Lacy have been healthy enough to play this week if TT hadn't blown the designated to return IR slot on a UDFA that got hurt again almost immediately? If so, the Ripper fumble doesn't occur and the Packers running game needs to be accounted for, not as an afterthought.

Ian Rapoport reported at the start of the playoffs that there was absolutely no chance Lacy would have been able to play in the postseason. It´s pretty obvious Shields wasn´t an option either.

Sheilds is definitely gone. I agree taking a chance on him(eddie) is a gamble but his contract should warrant a clause to state that if he doesn't prove it this year he is done. Season ending injury not excluded!

The NFL doesn´t allow to not pay a player suffering a season ending injury. As I´ve mentioned repeatedly I don´t think Lacy deserves another chance on a prove it deal as he hasn´t been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons with one of them being a contract year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The NFL doesn´t allow to not pay a player suffering a season ending injury. As I´ve mentioned repeatedly I don´t think Lacy deserves another chance on a prove it deal as he hasn´t been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons with one of them being a contract year.

This is true, but I believe a team can structure a contract around performance and playing time incentives. So if there is even a thought of not cutting Shields and redoing his contract, that could/should be implemented on a new deal. The same should apply with Lacy, if the Packers decide to offer him a contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is true, but I believe a team can structure a contract around performance and playing time incentives. So if there is even a thought of not cutting Shields and redoing his contract, that could/should be implemented on a new deal. The same should apply with Lacy, if the Packers decide to offer him a contract.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind the Packers are moving on from Shields. While it might be a smart idea to offer Lacy an incentive laden contract from a financial standpoint him once again not being able to stay in shape would mess up the running back depth during the season. Therefore I would prefer to let him walk away in free agency and add another possible starter in the draft.