Sheilds, Lacy

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next man up and all.... losing these two hurt badly.

Sheilds goes out week 1. The secondary tried to hold the fort and the young CBs immediately broke down. Right as things were getting ugly, Lacy goes down... After already putting 2 underclassmen RBs on IR too.
Starks goes out, and Goodson IRd , Makington Dorleant comes back and right back to IR...

Now consider... On offense. Does Atlanta play Rodgers like they did with Big Eddie Lacy averaging 5 ypc? Does Ripkwski get 2 fumbles in the NFC championship game? no and no... Montgomery is now facing dime backs too, instead of banged up playing RB...

Sheilds....... Don't get me started. The young secondary apparently wasn't ready to do it on their own. Losing shields puts guys like gunter on Julio Jones. When shields is out there, everyone takes a step down the opposing depth chart in coverage duties... Its a huge deal... Defensive scheme was very limited with these CBs. Cant trust the CBs , you cant hardly blitz.

Anyways. Sheilds, we don't have much of a choice in the matter. But I say bringing back Lacy is important to putting things back in order on offense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is finished. Packers need to sign the best free agent cb available with the cap space from cutting Shields. Talent level on this defense is so abysmal that getting a decent cb is not nearly enough. Where do you even start? Hhcd, mathews, Daniels all underperformed badly both today and much of the season.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next man up and all.... losing these two hurt badly.

Sheilds goes out week 1. The secondary tried to hold the fort and the young CBs immediately broke down. Right as things were getting ugly, Lacy goes down... After already putting 2 underclassmen RBs on IR too.
Starks goes out, and Goodson IRd , Makington Dorleant comes back and right back to IR...

Now consider... On offense. Does Atlanta play Rodgers like they did with Big Eddie Lacy averaging 5 ypc? Does Ripkwski get 2 fumbles in the NFC championship game? no and no... Montgomery is now facing dime backs too, instead of banged up playing RB...

Sheilds....... Don't get me started. The young secondary apparently wasn't ready to do it on their own. Losing shields puts guys like gunter on Julio Jones. When shields is out there, everyone takes a step down the opposing depth chart in coverage duties... Its a huge deal... Defensive scheme was very limited with these CBs. Cant trust the CBs , you cant hardly blitz.

Anyways. Sheilds, we don't have much of a choice in the matter. But I say bringing back Lacy is important to putting things back in order on offense.

Shields isn't the problem. The problem is Gunter, and Rollins didn't progress enough to be starting so that WHEN Shields and Randall went down we had to count on 2 guys who should've been nickel and dime backs respectively.

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lacy has to be re-signed...he's going to have to swallow his pride and take a cut in pay or he will be shown the door..Montgomery is a change-of-pace back and nothing more...that's not a bad thing in the NFL nowadays..Michael can go..he still has no idea what he's doing and there is a reason he's been bouncing around the league for a few years now...when AR had to physically move him into the right spot tonight I just laughed...Shields is done unfortunately and that's sad..great player but his career is over..many players on the Packers D are not ready or not good enough to be playing in the NFL...Ryan should still be learning as should Joe Thomas...Randall may never recover from the way he was roasted all year...Gunter I think has some cover skills but his speed(or lack of it)trumps any talent he has as a cover corner...Rollins seems overmatched no matter who he's covering,very similar to Randall...injuries have decimated this team for years now...is this bad luck or do we need to revamp the strength and conditioning department?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
DB's need to be addressed in FA and the draft, Packers had 9in coverage and 2 Rushing and still could not cover 5 receivers

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I think Shields is done (though I saw that he wants to play, but how do you come back after being out all year for not feeling right in the head)

Lacy is tough. I think we need to draft a running back either way. As much as a like Ty as a receiver he's built like a RB and should probably be used in the return game as well. Drafting a RB to work with Lacy and have Ty fit in the rotation here and there seems ideal to me. Maybe that's too much to ask for though.

I've said this for about 4-5 years now, but i really would like a tall fast WR who can become the next 'It' guy for the Back portion of Rodgers career. I love me some Jordy but he is getting old for a WR and the injuries always seem to keep him out of a couple games. I don't think Davante, Cobb, or Geronimo will be enough weapons for Rodgers going forward. Cook is up there in age as well. This is another effect of drafting bad on defense. We have to keep drafting more defense and hoping Rodgers will continue to be a football wizard on offense.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I would like to see a converted WR into a corner, these little corners seem helpless in coverage and are very bad tacklers and beside a converted WR could have better hands with INT's

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers will for sure release Shields adding $9 million of cap space. The team should let Lacy walk away in free agency and use a mid-round pick on a running back.

I would like to see a converted WR into a corner, these little corners seem helpless in coverage and are very bad tacklers and beside a converted WR could have better hands with INT's

The Packers need a #1 cornerback and not a converted receiver still needing development. I would prefer the team to address the position in free agency.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still having daily headaches and hasn't even begun to think about moving let alone being involved in football plays. He's done

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Still having daily headaches and hasn't even begun to think about moving let alone being involved in football plays. He's done

While I am not 100% sure about IR rules I read this:

Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) in which they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team.

One aspect of Sam that disappointed me was what appeared to be his complete disappearing act from the team after his concussion. I never saw him on the sidelines, read about him being at practice mentoring guys, etc. Sure he couldn't practice or play, but he was getting paid a lot of money, couldn't he have least helped the team out in other ways? I am pretty sure Jordy hung around all of 2015 to help the team in anyway he could.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no reason to keep sheilds. one more concussion and this guy could have permanent brain damage which could lead to a stroke.

If we keep Lacy, what do we do with Mont? Use him as receiver or switch him up with Lacy? I would love to keep Lacy but his foot injuries and his weight problem isn't helping his cause. Another question is how much weight did Lacy gain since being out for the season? And will his weight become another focal point during summer camp, where he will need to spend/waste extra time trying to lose weight??

Since Sheilds is gone, our focus is CB.

edit:
according to ESPN. "Eddie Lacy (ankle, I.R.) said he plans to do a P90X regimen again this offseason."

I guess that answers my question about Lacy's weight issue!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
edit:
according to ESPN. "Eddie Lacy (ankle, I.R.) said he plans to do a P90X regimen again this offseason."

I guess that answers my question about Lacy's weight issue!

While I like a healthy in shape Lacy, I wouldn't get too fired up over him doing another session with Tony Horton. Only way I want Eddie back is under an incentive laden contract, in shape and someone capable of backing him up due to the high probability of 2015 and 2016 repeating themselves.

Odds of another team signing Eddie for more than the Packers are willing to pay....high. Odds that the Packers will want to bank on him being their #1....Low. I don't think he will be back.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would Lacy have been healthy enough to play this week if TT hadn't blown the designated to return IR slot on a UDFA that got hurt again almost immediately? If so, the Ripper fumble doesn't occur and the Packers running game needs to be accounted for, not as an afterthought.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Would Lacy have been healthy enough to play this week if TT hadn't blown the designated to return IR slot on a UDFA that got hurt again almost immediately? If so, the Ripper fumble doesn't occur and the Packers running game needs to be accounted for, not as an afterthought.

I wondered the same thing, especially in regards to Shields. If Sam had been able to play those last 1 - 4 games, this is a different defense.

I was shaking my head when he used the IR designation to return on Dorleant, but just assumed he was the only one on IR that would be healthy enough to come back, so TT used it on him.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Lacy back. He was running really well before he got hurt.

Michael also looks brain dead and untrustworthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I want Lacy back. He was running really well before he got hurt.

While I understand the sentiment behind that, its kind of like saying "I want Shields back". Who actually are you getting back? The fact that Lacy would require a new contract compounds the problem with that. "At what price do you take Lacy back and what is your fall back plan if he doesn't work out?"

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand the sentiment behind that, its kind of like saying "I want Shields back". Who actually are you getting back? The fact that Lacy would require a new contract compounds the problem with that. "At what price do you take Lacy back and what is your fall back plan if he doesn't work out?"
1 year prove it deal. Draft a RB anyways.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So can I just clarify here ? Is Ripkowski the devil incarnate because he`s human and fumbled the ball ? Jeez, we don't give too many chances around here. I remember when we called for Ross head when he was a return man and dared to screw up two returns.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sheilds is definitely gone. I agree taking a chance on him(eddie) is a gamble but his contract should warrant a clause to state that if he doesn't prove it this year he is done. Season ending injury not excluded!

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So can I just clarify here ? Is Ripkowski the devil incarnate because he`s human and fumbled the ball ? Jeez, we don't give too many chances around here. I remember when we called for Ross head when he was a return man and dared to screw up two returns.

The Rip situation is a tough call. Wasn't entirely his fault that caused the fumble. Actually wasn't his fault at all.

Just like I don't blame Cook's fumble caused by a punch by Norman.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

The Rip situation is a tough call. Wasn't entirely his fault that caused the fumble. Actually wasn't his fault at all.

Just like I don't blame Cook's fumble caused by a punch by Norman.

I know mate ;), I guess we all feel the same. It was a rough night for all of us. I guess the pain will wear off in a little while.