Seriously, what is wrong with our run game?

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to look at what MM is looking at because I think he has been very smart about the whole process.

1) He has "0" linemen that are still young and obviously pass block better than run block at this point.
2) He has Brett Favre.
3) He has better WR's then he has RB's.
4) He LOST both Morency and Heron right before the season started causing him to have to work the young guys in.
5) Most the teams we faced have given up little on the ground.

You may want to add to your list, 6) The weather has been great for the passing game.

No rain and/or crappy conditions, the ball is a easier to catch when its dry... so why not take advantage of that too.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we actually run the ball I'll let you know :lol:

The Packers running game is basically screens and slants. The Short passing game cancels out their poor running game. As long as they do that well then they can continue to have success. When that stumbles so will the team.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
warhawk said:
You have to look at what MM is looking at because I think he has been very smart about the whole process.

1) He has "0" linemen that are still young and obviously pass block better than run block at this point.
2) He has Brett Favre.
3) He has better WR's then he has RB's.
4) He LOST both Morency and Heron right before the season started causing him to have to work the young guys in.
5) Most the teams we faced have given up little on the ground.

You may want to add to your list, 6) The weather has been great for the passing game.

No rain and/or crappy conditions, the ball is a easier to catch when its dry... so why not take advantage of that too.

Weather hasn't stopped Brett from throwing it well in the past, why would it matter now?

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he can throw but we don't really know if these new guys can catch it in "weather" yet do we?

I wish I had the answer to why we can't/aren't running but I have to say I'm liking the results nonetheless!

Seems they hand off j u s t enough to keep the defense on it's toes. If so then that is some excellent play calling. Otherwise I'd have expected our 3rd and 4th opponents to have figured out a way to defend a pass on every down. The fact that he's spreading it around (at least 9 different receivers yesterday) seems to be a key.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can't run the ball. The odds of Brett hitting a screen pass or a short dump off for 3-4 yards is GREATER than Brandon Jackson, Morency, Grant, Wynn or Herron getting that on the ground with our non-existent run blocking.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the absence of Morency has been bigger than most people realize. He really is the most talented RB on the team and the most experienced.

He looked better to me last year compared to Ahman. I think Morency can have similar success this season once he's back in form.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the absence of Morency has been bigger than most people realize. He really is the most talented RB on the team and the most experienced.

He looked better to me last year compared to Ahman. I think Morency can have similar success this season once he's back in form.

Agreed,

I saw flashes of major potential out of Morency last year. If we can get the holes open for him again; we could really be smiling soon !!!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe a running game isnt always the best option... maybe???

Actually, it is ALWAYS the best option. Any running game at all opens up your passing game, and with Brett Favre at QB, that equals a lot of points.

A strong running game and a good defense wins championships. End of story.

PACKmanN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wrote this somewhere else and Ill put it here, we don't have any good o-line personnel and they are the ones that should be replaced before the running backs go.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one of the problems lies at LG. This guy is a pancake type blocker like Tauch & Clifton. These guys seem like drive blockers, not athletic guys that pull and create lanes.

The packers have a west coast offense, not a ZBS. Since Jags left, there has been no ZBS, we are running a west coast offense in the purest form.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I wrote this somewhere else and Ill put it here, we don't have any good o-line personnel and they are the ones that should be replaced before the running backs go.

I disagree with the "no good o-line personel", I think they have the talent, it is being mis-used.

We drafted olineman for the zone system with cut blocking, to date, we are not trying to cut block anyone. Watch the oline, they are comming out of there stance and trying to play too upright, with little to no leverage.

I have said it before, I don't think we have the coaches with experience to coach the ZBS. Or being the Campen played the game and he has integrity from what I know of him, he probably doesn't want to utilize the cuts. If done incorrectly, they can severly hurt the opposition.

So we are trying to zone guys off while trying to play upright with 2/3 of the interior lineman undersized and the other lacking upper body strength. Wonder why it isn't working...

Again, make a couple of adjustments to the blocking scheme, change the mindset a bit, and commit to the run. And production will follow.. we have talent in there, watch the the footwork along with the hand play of the oline.. they have the talent.

It will come... the D's are starting to soften the inside up and then we shall attack..

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Word up

Either replace them or tell them to work out with Shawn Merriman and get on the juice so they can overpower some D-lineman.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i was not impressed w/Morency sunday.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKmanN said:

I disagree with the "no good o-line personel", I think they have the talent, it is being mis-used.

We drafted olineman for the zone system with cut blocking, to date, we are not trying to cut block anyone. Watch the oline, they are comming out of there stance and trying to play too upright, with little to no leverage.

I have said it before, I don't think we have the coaches with experience to coach the ZBS. Or being the Campen played the game and he has integrity from what I know of him, he probably doesn't want to utilize the cuts. If done incorrectly, they can severly hurt the opposition.

So we are trying to zone guys off while trying to play upright with 2/3 of the interior lineman undersized and the other lacking upper body strength. Wonder why it isn't working...

Again, make a couple of adjustments to the blocking scheme, change the mindset a bit, and commit to the run. And production will follow.. we have talent in there, watch the the footwork along with the hand play of the oline.. they have the talent.

It will come... the D's are starting to soften the inside up and then we shall attack..

I think our o linemen are drive blockers, not cut blockers which is why we are running a west coast offense not a ZBS

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think our o linemen are drive blockers, not cut blockers which is why we are running a west coast offense not a ZBS

Exactly my point, we are playing upright in the running game, why not allow them to drive holes open and play with the leverage these interior guys should have.

Seems to me, that we are stuck in a quasi- Zone / conventional system anyway.. why not commit to one that we have experience in and go.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

Exactly my point, we are playing upright in the running game, why not allow them to drive holes open and play with the leverage these interior guys should have.

Seems to me, that we are stuck in a quasi- Zone / conventional system anyway.. why not commit to one that we have experience in and go.

I wonder what spitz, or moll could do at LG

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aytumious said:

1 carry, 2 yards. Not much to evaluate him on :)

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Aytumious said:

1 carry, 2 yards. Not much to evaluate him on :)

he looked real quick on a pass reception, but that was it. i do not know if he got hurt, but i thought we would see more of him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one of the problems lies at LG. This guy is a pancake type blocker like Tauch & Clifton. These guys seem like drive blockers, not athletic guys that pull and create lanes.

The packers have a west coast offense, not a ZBS. Since Jags left, there has been no ZBS, we are running a west coast offense in the purest form.

I think Colledge should move to the bench and they should start Spitz and Colston at guard. I think the only way we'll know for sure is if McCarthy calls run plays. It's hard to really grasp our run blocking when we rarely do it.

Members online

Latest posts