Seriously, what is wrong with our run game?

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, running against the three of the four teams we've played this year was declared futile prior to the start but, nonetheless, one would think there would be more attempts, at least.

True, we're 4-0 and there's not much complaining but sooner or later we're going to have to run the ball. We all got a good look at what happens when we try to run some clock and our inexperienced exchange lead to a fumble that could have cost us the game.

So, is it the ZB scheme or the lack of runners, or both? If it's the lack of talent by the backs, isn't that what the ZB is supposed to manage? If it's the ZB, then retooling the line will mean replacing two guards and possibly a center next year. Any thoughts?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think you're getting yourself way too worked up at this point in time. You said it yourself, three of those four games wouldn't make sense to run and run and run. We knew we couldn't beat the Chargers or Vikings on the ground, so we threw the ball a lot. I think our running game is progressing. Slowly, but it's coming around. It's there. And also, fumbles happen (a lot less now that Ahman is out of town).

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Run Game? Whats That?

If you think about the Offensive team, it is the SAME team that won the final four games last year and their running attack was a bit better than it is this year. We don't have Ahman Green this year... IF we maintain this passing attack and add in the running game like we did last year, we will be fine.

Personally, I don't care that we DON'T have a great running game right now... We're winning and we won last year at the end because of a good running game and great defense. We had virtually no PASSING game last 4 games of the season. Brett only threw for 1 TD in that span.

So worry not my friend the running game WILL come around. At least enough to win the ball games.

GO Packers!
16-0, Superbowl

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. Our run game hasn't been shut down by the opposition. By all accounts, we have gone up against some of the tougher, and the toughest, pass defenses in the league and our averages are pretty respectable. The actual number of rush yards is quite low, but the averages are there, and they point to good things if you ask me. We won't be a top 10 rushing team, but no team can dominate all aspects of the game... except the damn Patriots.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one would think there would be more attempts, at least.

Whats the point of more attempts when you have an O line that cant block for them. All your going to do is waste precious plays and chances to move the ball. But I do agree, something has to be done before the end of the season to get some kind of running game going! Maybe that means trying to get a new offensive lineman or two. And maybe a different RB.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really... another running thread.... why couldnt this be posted in one of the 10 thousand other "why does our running game suck" threads.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum on Friday

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:59 am

97 yards 40 carries
2.4 yards per carry

In case the running game falls flat Sunday and people are calling for an experienced RB..Remember those numbers

Those were Ahman Greens numbers in the 2 Viking games last year

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFaninBucLand said:
one would think there would be more attempts, at least.

Whats the point of more attempts when you have an O line that cant block for them. All your going to do is waste precious plays and chances to move the ball. But I do agree, something has to be done before the end of the season to get some kind of running game going! Maybe that means trying to get a new offensive lineman or two. And maybe a different RB.

Exactly, they can not run block. If they cant figure it out by the end of the year, something has to be done. We should change our offense to the run and shoot like the Oilers had or the K-Gun like the bills had. Spread them out, we'd be able to run the ball and score some points.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're going to start to see some more power running plays (sweeps, traps etc.). MM called a few yesterday and there appeard to be some running room out there at least.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Run Game? Whats That?

If you think about the Offensive team, it is the SAME team that won the final four games last year and their running attack was a bit better than it is this year. We don't have Ahman Green this year... IF we maintain this passing attack and add in the running game like we did last year, we will be fine.

Personally, I don't care that we DON'T have a great running game right now... We're winning and we won last year at the end because of a good running game and great defense. We had virtually no PASSING game last 4 games of the season. Brett only threw for 1 TD in that span.

So worry not my friend the running game WILL come around. At least enough to win the ball games.

GO Packers!
16-0, Superbowl

that is a great post... Brett threw 1 touchdown in our 4 wins late last season... the running game and defense carried us through that.

it just proves what a few of us have been saying for a while... the run game appears to suck horribly because they havent been getting the attempts and the rhythm going. i understand the concern and the wavering confidence... but i mean really... have some faith when your team is 4-0... Maybe they do know what the hell they are doing.

It kills me that people dont even consider that its part of a game plan and that its a game plan that works. people assume that because the stats arent what they think they should be... that we have a huge problem there. If you do what youve always done, you get the same results. Maybe a running game isnt always the best option... maybe???

Why cant our coach and staff and players just know what they are doing?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This might sound ignorant, but do you think if the Packers win against the Bears that they force the issue against the Redskins?

I mean, forcing trying to run.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might sound ignorant, but do you think if the Packers win against the Bears that they force the issue against the Redskins?

yeah im with you zero.

if were 5-0 and going up against yet another stout run D... why not force the issue see what we really have when we absolutely must run.

Do whatever it takes to beat the bears... then maybe push the run issue and experiment a little (early on at least) with the deadskins. Go for the win by all means but really make sure you know what you got when it comes to the run game.

Then if we get stopped repeatedly and it looks like our run game really might suck.... then you got the bye week to work on things and get it corrected or possibly get another player in here to help out.

i like it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

yeah im with you zero.

if were 5-0 and going up against yet another stout run D... why not force the issue see what we really have when we absolutely must run.

Do whatever it takes to beat the bears... then maybe push the run issue and experiment a little (early on at least) with the deadskins. Go for the win by all means but really make sure you know what you got when it comes to the run game.

Then if we get stopped repeatedly and it looks like our run game really might suck.... then you got the bye week to work on things and get it corrected or possibly get another player in here to help out.

i like it.

You have to look at what MM is looking at because I think he has been very smart about the whole process.

1) He has "0" linemen that are still young and obviously pass block better than run block at this point.
2) He has Brett Favre.
3) He has better WR's then he has RB's.
4) He LOST both Morency and Heron right before the season started causing him to have to work the young guys in.
5) Most the teams we faced have given up little on the ground.

I look at this as opportunity. The above factors have lead MM to a pass orientated offense that has given BF the chance to trust his wr's and to get totally on the same page with them.

It's great to be able to run the ball and it's obvious we will have to do better at it before it's over BUT if we are going deep into the playoffs we need Brett Favre and the WR's on offense to get us there.

I also think we will see some of the stud DL and LB's fallout to injury as the season move along and with the colder weather coming I think we will see an improving run game.

But Brett getting this tight with his WR's is what's going to carry our offense later in the year when the games really get BIG.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're going to start to see some more power running plays (sweeps, traps etc.). MM called a few yesterday and there appeard to be some running room out there at least.

I would be curious to see what would happen with our running yards if we started running sweeps, and HB tosses to the outside instead of trying to pound it up the middle.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Zero2Cool said:

yeah im with you zero.

i like it.

You have to look at what MM is looking at because I think he has been very smart about the whole process.

1) He has "0" linemen that are still young and obviously pass block better than run block at this point.
2) He has Brett Favre.
3) He has better WR's then he has RB's.
4) He LOST both Morency and Heron right before the season started causing him to have to work the young guys in.
5) Most the teams we faced have given up little on the ground.

I look at this as opportunity. The above factors have lead MM to a pass orientated offense that has given BF the chance to trust his wr's and to get totally on the same page with them.

It's great to be able to run the ball and it's obvious we will have to do better at it before it's over BUT if we are going deep into the playoffs we need Brett Favre and the WR's on offense to get us there.

I also think we will see some of the stud DL and LB's fallout to injury as the season move along and with the colder weather coming I think we will see an improving run game.

But Brett getting this tight with his WR's is what's going to carry our offense later in the year when the games really get BIG.

Warhawk: Preacher
Packnic: Choir

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

I would be curious to see what would happen with our running yards if we started running sweeps, and HB tosses to the outside instead of trying to pound it up the middle.

The longish run we had (Grant I think for around 7 or 8 yards was on a trap play if memory serves me - sure didn't look like a Zone play). If you run this kind of stuff early on, it might tire the DL out at least, thus making it easier to cut them later on in the game. I was kind of surprised they didn't try a few more sweeps yesterday to try to get the Williams duo tired.

OP
OP
P

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No panic here.

Frankly, it gets a little old reaching the playoffs and being blown out in the first round. Since the Pack hasn't been in the post season in a couple of years, I'm all for at least getting there (although it's hard to argue that it doesn't seriously affect your draft). The whole point of the season is to get to the dance, however, and it's pretty difficult to dance without legs so I'm hoping we grow some this year at some point. We also found out in 1997 that it really sucks not being crowned prom King.

This, btw, is not a TT trashing at all.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

yeah im with you zero.

i like it.

the redskins are pretty decent this year. i wouldn't want to force our running game on them unless we were up by a good bit.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the vikings game was a lot closer than i thought it should have been. at times, they were able to shut down our passing game. times like that you need to be able to run the ball.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

I would like to see this as well. It is not part of the ZBS textbook, but the Packers did run a few of these plays late last season, and as I recall, they had some success with them.

The concerns about the running game are well-founded because they really haven't been able to string together more than one or two positive running plays. But I like to think that they have gone 4-0 against decent opposition without using the entire playbook. Maybe the best is yet to come.

Members online