Season of failure

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From top to bottom this season is taking on the image of it's failing leaders. In the third year of his coaching tenure Mike McCarthy is losing the grip on his offense. It doesn't feel like he's had the right play-call 50% of the time this season, especially in clutch situations like 4th & 1 in the opponent's territory.

Look no further than ATL for examples of what it takes to win in this league. A first-year coach & a rookie QB are making a playoff run in arguably the toughest division in the NFL. For good measure it's happening in the AFC as well in Baltimore. It's defying all NFL logic to have not one but two teams with new coaches & rookies at the most important position on the team making playoff pushes.

To a lesser extent MIA is in this category as well. The HC is in his first year & Pennington is new to the mix yet they've made huge strides from the disaster of '07. And then there is NYJ, with the NAME in the drivers' seat of playoff destiny. It's a tough trip back to the West Coast for the Jets this week in SEA & then a truly fitting home match-up with MIA to close the regular season. Will it be an exclamation point on the Jets decision to splurge in FA & snag the NAME in a trade? It's going to be interesting.

Back in GB it's going to be misery. An MNF matchup in CHI with the announcers tsk, tsk, tsking their way through a broadcast, stopping just short of "I told you so" with every mention of the now nototrious trade. I will be watching a muted broadcast, for sure.

Where does it go from here? If DET comes into Lambeau playing the way they did against IND last Sunday there is a real possibility of an upset. How that kind of end to the '08 season will affect player/coach shifting remains to be seen. I don't want to see a dramatic changeover but admit that it's got to happen somewhere within the organization to avoid an implicit state of acceptance of the lethargy now apparent on the sidelines on game day. :mad:

Dulak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I really liked GB offense this year.
Well they need a better running game IMO - I like jackson over grant.
and perhaps a bit better O line but other then that looks great to me.

A-rod did real well this year considering. I rather have less completed passes and less interceptions - I'm sure we all remember all the int farve threw.

D needs a big revamp IMO. Jenkins and barnett and get another 2 key up front D players and wed be set.
I like all our receivers ... nelson, jones, jennings, driver, lee, humphrey, finley -cough-

So many games this season that were real close.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its clear to me that changes need to be made .... i just hope they figure out what those changes need to be ... green bay should be in the playoffs .... IMO

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
gman said:
This was a pretty bad season without Favre.

Horseshit, it would have been a bad season with Favre also; despite the "Favre heals lepers" mantra some of his disciples preach to every willing/nonwilling ear, the man can't make dismal defenses and special teams play to such degrees they suddenly become champions.

Where was Favre's mojo in the Oakland, Denver and SF games? Was he recharging his divinity?

Sorry to rant in a non-Favre sanctioned thread but give the "Favre raises teams from the dead" **** a rest...

Here's why, if the damn defense and special teams would have played their games at the height of their potential, Rodgers' play would have been good enough to have clinched the division by now. GUARANTEED.

We didn't lose based on the QB position...

OP
OP
doughsellz

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanNChiTown said:
Horseshit, it would have been a bad season with Favre also...

How can you be so sure? Would it be the chasm of experience between He & Rodgers that clinches it for you? The NAME had crap for defenses in '03 & '04, yet still made the playoffs. Rodgers has great stats, so what? Scott Mitchell & the Lions had great stats too. Who cares? Sometimes what doesn't show on the stat sheets accounts for a whole lot more in the W-L columns.

PackFanNChiTown said:
Here's why, if the damn defense and special teams would have played their games at the height of their potential, Rodgers' play would have been good enough to have clinched the division by now. GUARANTEED.

Justifiably or not, the QB takes the heat for not winning, especially close games. 6 times the victory was there for the taking in '08 & nothing. A difference-making QB in '07 created a winning atmosphere. A GM & a HC got big coin tossed their way based on that difference-making QB.

That's the crux of the whole '08 season for the Packers - the GM & the HC thought they were ones who deserved the credit for a 13-3 season. They thought wrong. :no:

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
PackFanNChiTown said:
Horseshit, it would have been a bad season with Favre also...Here's why, if the damn defense and special teams would have played their games at the height of their potential, Rodgers' play would have been good enough to have clinched the division by now. GUARANTEED.

How can you be so sure? Would it be the chasm of experience between He & Rodgers that clinches it for you? The NAME had crap for defenses in '03 & '04, yet still made the playoffs. Rodgers has great stats, so what? Scott Mitchell & the Lions had great stats too. Who cares? Sometimes what doesn't show on the stat sheets accounts for a whole lot more in the W-L columns.

Justifiably or not, the QB takes the heat for not winning, especially close games. 6 times the victory was there for the taking in '08 & nothing. A difference-making QB in '07 created a winning atmosphere. A GM & a HC got big coin tossed their way based on that difference-making QB.

That's the crux of the whole '08 season for the Packers - the GM & the HC thought they were ones who deserved the credit for a 13-3 season. They thought wrong. :no:

Nobody can be sure, that's the beauty of a healthy debate. Sure A-Rod is inexperienced, he'd remain that way until he actually gets some.

On the other hand lets ask the Jets fans how they're liking the Great One at QB this year? They're tied w/Miami and Pennington has a worse surrounding cast. They're all debating whether or not the trade was actually worth it or if it was just a publicity stunt to sell T-shirts. We'll know in two weeks when the two teams play each other.

People love to point fingers at the QB for not winning, they're free to do so but that's not reality. If the QB does what it takes to win and the rest of the team doesn't, the team still loses. Should Rodgers have been able to lead some comebacks? Of course; and his lack of ability to do so is definitely something he needs to work on.

I agree with you regarding the arrogance of TT and MM; they WERE wrong. I supported the BF trade, but that doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination I'm a blind TT supporter. TT introduced a level of...dishonor...to 1265 Lombardi Avenue; I wouldn't mourn his passing if he were to depart, but I won't be crying in my beer if he and MM stick around either.

Now if TT stays AND fails to do what is necessary to build this team properly, then I'll gladly take up the "Fire TT" banner and join the (lynch mob) crowd...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts