Same Theory?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
When I was hired at Checker Auto (5 years ago) the owner told me I was going to be the best employee within two weeks.

The owner (Rocky) was implementing some new things within the company and the existing staff struggling to pick up on it. Which in turn was failing the company in the overall competitions they had to sell specific items. If you won, you got a cool *** CSK jacket!

Anyhow, he told me I would get the routine down better than the rest because it would be fresh to me and he wouldn't be trying to break me of any other habit. I had worked retail before, but not under his routine and specifics.

He was right. I learned the required methods and I was the best employee right away. Why? Because I'm such an exceptional person? Nah, no chance in hell. It was solely because I didn't know the incorrect way, I only knew the right way.

I was wondering how much of that theory applies to sports when signing free agents, and if it leads to simply drafting someone new instead? With signing someone from a different team they (much like any other employee) have certain things they liked about their old boss and working environment. With someone new, fresh and untainted.

I was also curious if GM's try to grab players from a similar coaching style as the one they have so they have less conflict with methodology.

I know this is kind of deep and probably giving some a headache, I'm getting one now.

But I wonder how prominent this happens in the NFL? I mean I see solid free agent players from old teams coming to a new team and just suck. Is it because they can't adjust to a new boss an new regime? Or is it something else? Or is it both? And if it is the old saying 'cant teach an old dog new tricks' bit, is that why Ted seems to draft more than snagging free agents?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When I was hired at Checker Auto (5 years ago) the owner told me I was going to be the best employee within two weeks.

The owner (Rocky) was implementing some new things within the company and the existing staff struggling to pick up on it. Which in turn was failing the company in the overall competitions they had to sell specific items. If you won, you got a cool *** CSK jacket!

Anyhow, he told me I would get the routine down better than the rest because it would be fresh to me and he wouldn't be trying to break me of any other habit. I had worked retail before, but not under his routine and specifics.

He was right. I learned the required methods and I was the best employee right away. Why? Because I'm such an exceptional person? Nah, no chance in hell. It was solely because I didn't know the incorrect way, I only knew the right way.

I was wondering how much of that theory applies to sports when signing free agents, and if it leads to simply drafting someone new instead? With signing someone from a different team they (much like any other employee) have certain things they liked about their old boss and working environment. With someone new, fresh and untainted.

I was also curious if GM's try to grab players from a similar coaching style as the one they have so they have less conflict with methodology.

I know this is kind of deep and probably giving some a headache, I'm getting one now.

But I wonder how prominent this happens in the NFL? I mean I see solid free agent players from old teams coming to a new team and just suck. Is it because they can't adjust to a new boss an new regime? Or is it something else? Or is it both? And if it is the old saying 'cant teach an old dog new tricks' bit, is that why Ted seems to draft more than snagging free agents?

I think it has been mentioned before, trying to break players out of "old habits"

but you bring up a good point, does this prevent coaches and gms from staying away from certain f/a or draft prospects

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think sometimes it has something to do with who the FA was playing with. Like,..........would Donald Driver have been so great if he had "Wrecks" Grossman as his QB instead of Favre? So sometimes WHO you play with helps determine how good you end up being.
What i mean is......if Driver went to Chicago (i hate to even THINK that) would he be the star he is here? I really doubt it, as they have no capable QB to throw to him.

Members online

Latest posts