Sam Barrington injury update?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This week is going to be very interesting. Somehow need to get up early so the Seahawks are forced to pass. Hopefully Jake Ryan is a revelation

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the run defense was actually better late in the game with Palmer instead. Don't know what caused the change, but at least the run defense didn't go downhill without him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Palmer did OK too. Has room to improve, but I like his overall athleticism more

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the run defense was actually better late in the game with Palmer instead. Don't know what caused the change, but at least the run defense didn't go downhill without him.

Forte got tired from gaining all those yards in the first half :roflmao:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry--whomever fills in will be coached up to starr-ting status.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never heard anyone utter a positive word about Bradford. I think he is only around because of the position change buying him time. I will be really disappointed to see anyone else released to bring him up. I think I would rather see them teach Ripkowski to play ILB before I want to see Bradford in an actual game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm very surprised to learn Barrington is out for the season. I hadn't even considered it as a possibility - I saw him on the bench with ice on his ankle. BTW, Thompson's history indicates he's very unlikely to make a trade to bolster the ILB spot.

Palmer will have to step up, but I may be one of the few who is anxious to see Jake Ryan (I'd rather have a healthy Barrington, of course). I saw some flashes from him in preseason and he may be able to provide the run and pass D needed from that spot once he gets experience.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Insane thought of the day. Ripkowski has the right size for ILB, he played ILB until they switched him to FB at OU, he clearly can tackle from watching special teams, good speed and hands.
I have never heard anyone utter a positive word about Bradford. I think he is only around because of the position change buying him time. I will be really disappointed to see anyone else released to bring him up. I think I would rather see them teach Ripkowski to play ILB before I want to see Bradford in an actual game.
Update: I found out that he actually used to play linebacker. He can already tackle better than half the defense. Give him a few practice reps!!!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While he showed some promise against the run last year his resume was very thin to be handed the IL job. By waiting until the 4th round to draft a LB and not signing a veteran the Pack is stuck with another 6th rounder in Palmer. They tried that route with Brad Jones and it was a big mistake. Any chance the Packers could coax Patrick Willis out of retirement ? The Packets don't have the luxury of losing any talent on defense. They need to get aggressive or be prepared to see Rodgers watching the game from the sidelines.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Desmond Bishop is an unsigned free agent. He was with the 9ers this preseason, I think. I'd give him a call.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Bishop had anything when he left here, I can't imagine he's gotten better with age. i admit we're thin at the position, but i'd rather go with unknown youth at this point than the old, almost were's available at this point.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Bishop had anything when he left here, I can't imagine he's gotten better with age. i admit we're thin at the position, but i'd rather go with unknown youth at this point than the old, almost were's available at this point.

You're probably right, although it can't hurt to bring him in for a look/see. With the James Jones signing, this could be Super Bowl reunion season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure the Packers want to deal with a guy like Brandon Spikes, especially with his recent off the field incident. But he has a lot of gas left in his tank as well as the motivation and desire to prove himself. They couldn't get him on the field for another 3 1/2 weeks while he serves his 4 game suspension, but would give him time to learn the defense. Like his ability to play the run and he may provide some much needed "Nasty" on the defense.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He showed some positive film at times in preseason and had a shot at making the team with a good final game, which he didn't have. At this point he's very inconsistent.

That being said the fact that they invited him back on the PS over other options is a good indication that they still do have some belief in him and I'm sure he would get a shot before they tried to convert an offensive player to ILB during the season, regardless of his history.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure the Packers want to deal with a guy like Brandon Spikes, especially with his recent off the field incident. But he has a lot of gas left in his tank as well as the motivation and desire to prove himself. Guessing he will have to serve some type of suspension, but he is out there.

He got 4 games. So he's no help right now and wouldn't even be able to practice til October.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He got 4 games. So he's no help right now and wouldn't even be able to practice til October.
Looked up and edited my post when I found the 4 game suspension. Still an option. Hate to say this, but if Matthews misses any time, which he has been known to do.......who do we have?

The more I think about Spikes, depending on his character assessment, the more I think the Packers need to bring him in for a look see.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box with Rip is a good thing. Its very NE Patriot-like. However, I wonder if coach and TT think this way?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably right, although it can't hurt to bring him in for a look/see. With the James Jones signing, this could be Super Bowl reunion season.
but with Jones, at least to my untrained eyes, it looked like the guy still play. I have no idea why he was cut from 2 teams, i think guys like him are no brainers for a roster spot especially for what his contracts have been. I have not seen that from bishop in well over a year. We do have a depth issue, but filling them just to fill them doesn't make sense either. They have to be better than what we have, no matter what position we're clearing to make room for because at this point we will have to cut someone an in 2-3 weeks we're looking at cutting someone else again to make room for Guion.

At this point, I think everyone on this roster has earned their spot for the most part. I know gaston is probably next on the block, and I hope he makes it back to our PS when Guion comes back, but it may be a DB that gets cut too. I do know I wouldn't want to cut any of them for a player like Bishop, or Spikes, especially not for Spikes.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Bishop had anything when he left here
Bishop had a severe hamstring injury, that required surgery I believe, at a time when he was our best inside linebacker. He then tore the ACL on the same side the next season with the Packers' Practice squad to the west. Neither of his injuries are necessarily career ending, though serious. He signed a contract with the 9ers last spring, and was let go before this season started. He was good enough to have the 9ers take a look. What would we have to lose to bring him in for a workout? Especially if he is "better than what we have".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nothing is hurt by bringing him in for a look, I just think they'll find he doesn't have anything to offer us other than a body, which at this point, we have those at least.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box with Rip is a good thing. Its very NE Patriot-like. However, I wonder if coach and TT think this way?

That would appear to be more of a long-term project rather than a short-term solution. He'd have a lot to learn, and he'd be behind everyone else who has at least played linebacker before.

Joe Thomas? Josh Francis?

Members online

Latest posts