Sam Barrington injury update?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks would have been able to play all three downs inside in a 3-4 defense.

Well his own coach isn't happy with his play so far so I am not sure he would be a huge help to the Packers right now. The Vikings linebackers were brutal against the 49ers aND this is what Zimmer had to say about kendricks

"He (Kendricks) didn't play that good either," Zimmer said. "It was equal opportunity last night."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...dricks-has-work-to-do-before-becoming-starter

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that it really matters, since the chance of Briggs unretiring and signing with GB are slim to none, but Trestman excused Briggs from practice for the Grand Opening of his restaurant.
Oh believe me I heard all about it listening to The Score that week. That may have been the exact moment that the team quit on Trestman and that Briggs mentally checked out. The practice he missed was the Wed practice which I believe they said was the most important of the week with hitting and the game plan install. I can't imagine too many players have the balls to actually ask for a day off during a game week to open a restaurant.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears annointed Shea McClellin to be their mainstay ILB, so Foster got released (multiple times, I believe, over the past 2 weeks).

I'd prefer Mason Foster over other experienced FA's, don't know much about the 1st/2nd yr. guys that are FA.

Yeah, I mean... eh. I just really don't want to see Jake Ryan thrown into battle this quick. Hopefully he'll look alright though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Oh believe me I heard all about it listening to The Score that week. That may have been the exact moment that the team quit on Trestman and that Briggs mentally checked out. The practice he missed was the Wed practice which I believe they said was the most important of the week with hitting and the game plan install. I can't imagine too many players have the balls to actually ask for a day off during a game week to open a restaurant.

Was a Monday Practice before a Tuesday off. But, I agree with you, doesn't boast team morale to do something like that. But I think Trestman allowing it was just another of many nails in his coffin.

Bottom line, IMO the Pack is really thin right now at ILB. Matthews, Palmer and Ryan to make it through an entire season is wishful thinking. If Bradford isn't ready, then they really need to starting looking outside the organization. Trying to find that experienced Veteran right now is not an easy feat and any of them out there are unemployed for a reason. Reason(s) the Packers are going to have to deal with if they go that route.

Just like when we lost Nelson. I will say it again, if we were a team that was rebuilding, no big deal, lets get the young guys some experience, but we aren't. As with WR after Jordy went down, ILB is ever so thin with experience right now and what are the chances Matthews goes the whole season uninjured?

D

Deleted member 6794

ILB is ever so thin with experience right now and what are the chances Matthews goes the whole season uninjured?

Matthews has missed a total of 11 games in six NFL seasons and has played in at least 15 games during four of them. I think he's weongfully being labeled as injury-prone.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure the Packers want to deal with a guy like Brandon Spikes, especially with his recent off the field incident. But he has a lot of gas left in his tank as well as the motivation and desire to prove himself. They couldn't get him on the field for another 3 1/2 weeks while he serves his 4 game suspension, but would give him time to learn the defense. Like his ability to play the run and he may provide some much needed "Nasty" on the defense.
Question: If they sign him, would he count against the 53 now or after his suspension?

D

Deleted member 6794

Mason Foster is an interesting and intriguing name. He is a tackling machine as stated above. We should kick his tires. Hes only 26 years old too.

Foster is a below average inside linebacker. With him having to learn the Packers system first I don't think he would be an upgrade.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is starting to feel like the "Jordy incident" all over again. Season ending injury knocking out a starter at a position thin on experience. Can we make it through the season with Palmer and/or Ryan? Possibly. But one of them goes down or Matthews goes down and the ILB position is now a 911 concern. IMO, no matter what, a roster spot is going to get bumped to either bring someone up from the Practice squad or from somewhere else. Hoping TT is taking a long hard look at any and all veteran ILB's that are available, whether its through a trade or a street FA, we need some depth and experience.

I understand your comparison, but that all said, Barrington is nowhere near the loss impact of a Jordy Nelson.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I doubt we see a major production dropoff, if any, from Barrington to Palmer or Ryan. It's more of a depth concern than anything else. Now if we had lost Matthews, that would be a different discussion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your comparison, but that all said, Barrington is nowhere near the loss impact of a Jordy Nelson.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I doubt we see a major production dropoff, if any, from Barrington to Palmer or Ryan. It's more of a depth concern than anything else. Now if we had lost Matthews, that would be a different discussion.

I agree. Depth is the issue, not the production. Hell, I was actually happy with how Palmer played. He has good range.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, other than the depth factor, I don't think this is that big of a deal.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan played 1 season (2014) of ILBer at Michigan after converting from DE. He tore his ACL in 2013.

Hey, I hope Ryan turns into Luke Kuechly Jr., but I am not expecting him to do much in his rookie season.

Divot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB was the Packers biggest weakness entering this offseason and I wasn't comfortable with the position even with Barrington being the starter. It's possible Thompson waiting until the fourth round in the draft to address the position is going to haunt us and this one is solely on the GM.

Who would you have taken and when?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I was holding my breath that Thompson would pull the trigger on Paul Dawson at the end of the 3rd, who has played really, really well in the preseason for the Bengals. They took him 5 picks later.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ty Montgomery but it's tough for me to wrap my head around a special teams pick in the 3rd when Dawson would likely be the next man up for us right now at a position of glaring need.

Could be wrong, maybe Montgomery turns into a Pro-Bowl special teams player and Dawson is just a career backup, but just to answer your question.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think Montgomery was drafted just to be a special teamer. He should get some snaps at WR this year and I think next year - at the latest - we'll see his potential at WR.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Montgomery was drafted just to be a special teamer. He should get some snaps at WR this year and I think next year - at the latest - we'll see his potential at WR.

Well, he's pretty solidly behind Cobb, Adams, and Jones, and in the event that the #4 started getting some reps, he might have to fight Janis for them. I would not be shocked to see him catch less than 10 balls this year. It's true that I'm sure they didn't draft him just to play on special teams, but that's probably all we'll get out of him this year. I think next year is more likely than this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ryan played 1 season (2014) of ILBer at Michigan after converting from DE. He tore his ACL in 2013.

Hey, I hope Ryan turns into Luke Kuechly Jr., but I am not expecting him to do much in his rookie season.

Well, Ryan is one injury away from being a starter so it's possible he gets significant playing time.

Eric Kendricks in the first round.

For what it's worth, I was holding my breath that Thompson would pull the trigger on Paul Dawson at the end of the 3rd, who has played really, really well in the preseason for the Bengals. They took him 5 picks later.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ty Montgomery but it's tough for me to wrap my head around a special teams pick in the 3rd when Dawson would likely be the next man up for us right now at a position of glaring need.

Could be wrong, maybe Montgomery turns into a Pro-Bowl special teams player and Dawson is just a career backup, but just to answer your question.

Out of the five inside linebackers at the top of most rankings entering the draft I liked Dawson the least of them. Nevertheless he would most likely be an upgrade over Palmer.

I was surprised by Thompson selecting Montgomery in the third round, especially cause I think (although I know that's impossible to predict) that he would have still be on the board in the fourth round.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Wasn't referring to talent at all, there is no comparison between Barrington and Jordy. Was merely pointing out how dangerously thin and inexperienced Barringtons loss at ILB made us, as did the loss of Jordy at the WR position.

It's a long season and expecting Matthews, Palmer and Ryan to complete it is a tall order. IMO you start looking at what's available around the league to shore up the position.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts