Safety help?

Cheesehead4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there to help us?

It really worries me with Collins and Manuel as the starters. I look back at how much better our defense was with Butler and Robinson calling the plays and making sure the secondary was in the right positions. I know we aren't going to get a Butler and Robinson again. I really like Collins but I think he is just to young. We should go out and try and get another veteran to just help him ease into the play calling roll back there.

Any thoughts on this idea? Also is there anyone out there we could even get to help?

I also heard Dwight Smith of the Saints is rumored to be on the trading block.

What wouldwe give up for him?

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wish we drafted Ko Simpson instead of Cory Rodgers. That wouldn't have helped with signal calling anyway, but I thought I should just throw that out there.

I remember reading that Manuel will be the signal caller in the secondary. Looks like the staff thinks that they're set with Collins and Manuel.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
How about Darnell Bing instead of Cory Rodgers?

Bing was taken 3 picks before that pick, so it wasn't possible to take him in the 4th round without trading up. Ko Simpson was taken the pick after the Cory Rodgers pick.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the time they were saying that Bing was probably going to move to linebacker because he lacks ideal speed for a safety, so it probably wouldn't of worked out anywho. Collins has a year of experience now and will only get better, and Manuel has several years of experience. They should be fine.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is your problem with Collins? He had a very good year for a ROOKIE and has an enormous upside. He is fast, quick, hits hard and is coachable.

As for Manuel -- I am not sure he is going to be the starter, but he does hit and tackle well and signing him assures competition for the starting job.

BTW Neither Ko Simpson or Darnell Bing would have had a snowballs chance in Hell of starting for the Packers this season

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
Bruce said:
What is your problem with Collins? He had a very good year for a ROOKIE and has an enormous upside. He is fast, quick, hits hard and is coachable.

As for Manuel -- I am not sure he is going to be the starter, but he does hit and tackle well and signing him assures competition for the starting job.

BTW Neither Ko Simpson or Darnell Bing would have had a snowballs chance in Hell of starting for the Packers this season

well said

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ko Simpson wouldn't help us now. He's one of the most raw players to enter the Draft. He's a project.

I think GB is set at safties. Collins is young but should improve. Manuel will help out a lot in the run defense but is a flaw in the passing defense. Roman would be a good backup for him but if Underwood develops nicely he would be an ideal backup.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:
How about throwing some coin at Ty Law and letting him play FS?

He's asking for around 8-10 mil a year. That's to much and I don't think he's good enough to play FS. I think Woodson would make a great FS and Law and Harris at CB but I like what we got right now. Signing Law would be throwing away a lot of useful cap in the future.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason to sign Law and I already know TT won't. He wanted Manuel badly and he got him he wants this kid to start or be a solid back up, we also have Roman.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
porky88 said:
fvre4mvp said:
How about throwing some coin at Ty Law and letting him play FS?

He's asking for around 8-10 mil a year. That's to much and I don't think he's good enough to play FS. I think Woodson would make a great FS and Law and Harris at CB but I like what we got right now. Signing Law would be throwing away a lot of useful cap in the future.

after we sign ur rookies if we could give him all the cap room we have left in a 1 year deal, if thats enough, which it probably isn't

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wont happen we arent getting Law and we shouldnt waste money on him plus the are other teams still interested in him, which will let him play CB. What experience does he have at FS anyways. We do not need him and mark my words we wont sign him or even think about it.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Law is the most overrated corner back in the game right now. There is a reason he isnt signed yet.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think having Law and Woodson would be TOOOOOO RISKY! 2 older players with injury questions....1 is enough!

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said that Ko Simpson would start, I just said that I think that TT should have drafted him instead of Cory Rodgers. :p

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
I never said that Ko Simpson would start, I just said that I think that TT should have drafted him instead of Cory Rodgers. :p

Yeah but to be fair nobody new Rodgers would go out and shoot bullets in air while in a public place. Simpson would be a great special teams player. Overall though I think are safties are better this year than last year. Manuel is an upgrade on the roster with Collins and Roman back. Collins should be better as well.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
ahaug82 said:

Yeah but to be fair nobody new Rodgers would go out and shoot bullets in air while in a public place. Simpson would be a great special teams player. Overall though I think are safties are better this year than last year. Manuel is an upgrade on the roster with Collins and Roman back. Collins should be better as well.

I'm not even taking the gun thing into consideration when I say this. I wanted Ko Simpson when round 4 started, but Cory Rodgers was drafted instead. That is probably the one thing I would change about the draft if I could.

The gun thing doesn't really help him though.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as has been alluded to, we shouldn't give up on Underwood....he was banged up a lot last season (if I recall correctly), and showed some promise in preseason/T.C. last year, plus Roman, Collins, and Manuel are all compotent, at worst, so lets not assume our chickens are dead before they hatch.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
also, w/ Ty law, if concerned about $, we could sign him to a front end loaded contract similar to Woodson since we still have cap room this year...but as has been said, there's really no point in me mentioning this...I assume TT wants to see one of his own (manuel) succeed, so there's not much room for Law, and it just won't happen.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
as has been alluded to, we shouldn't give up on Underwood....he was banged up a lot last season (if I recall correctly), and showed some promise in preseason/T.C. last year, plus Roman, Collins, and Manuel are all compotent, at worst, so lets not assume our chickens are dead before they hatch.

I love Underwood. I think he was better than any safety on the board in the 2nd day. I think he's def the backup to Collins.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could we use help, probably, but every team in the league could upgrade. I think from where we were last year at the time to the present, we have already upgraded significantly. Manuel over Roman, another year experience for Collins and Underwood.

We also appear to have upgraded DB, LB and possibly DL from last year and this too will have a domino effect on the play of the safeties.

I am more worried about other positions that do not seem to have upgraded(K, P, G).

Members online

Latest posts