Safeties

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Delpit had a really poor 2019 considering his hype. Without knowing if there were injuries, it's very concerning.

I've heard Davis is good, haven't checked him out.

I just don't think a safety on Day 1, or early Day 2 is good value considering the other needs we have.

That's my point, drafting for needs is okay when players are similar at talent level. If a safety is available that the FO thinks is a higher tier than other guys then they should draft that safety. Plus, it's football, you can't just assume that the safeties will play every game and, more importantly, the team has shown a willingness to draft at positions they don't need (Gary at #12 last year).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That's my point, drafting for needs is okay when players are similar at talent level. If a safety is available that the FO thinks is a higher tier than other guys then they should draft that safety. Plus, it's football, you can't just assume that the safeties will play every game and, more importantly, the team has shown a willingness to draft at positions they don't need (Gary at #12 last year).

Those aren't comparable situations.

We rotate on the edge. Edge players not named Smith played 659 snaps last year.

We don't rotate at safety. When Amos and Savage are healthy, they play 100% of the snaps.

So if you take a safety, he's either riding the bench, playing out of position, or forcing someone else to play out of position.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You traded up in the first round to take a safety because he can play single high, not slot corner.

To make that investment and then push him into a role that's a lot less valuable is a stupid use of resources. If they wanted a slot corner, they could have gotten one a lot cheaper.

The answer here is to find a slot corner-- not to draft a safety that then necessitates moving Savage to that position.

Kid from Louisiana Tech looks real nice.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kid from Louisiana Tech looks real nice.

Amik Robertson. Apparently might have some medical red flags?

A number of good slot corner FA options out there. You can't sign veterans at every position, but I'd feel a lot better having one in that spot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those aren't comparable situations.

We rotate on the edge. Edge players not named Smith played 659 snaps last year.

We don't rotate at safety. When Amos and Savage are healthy, they play 100% of the snaps.

So if you take a safety, he's either riding the bench, playing out of position, or forcing someone else to play out of position.

This is what I'm trying to say, if you think a guy can play slot corner, then he's not forced off the field for a different safety. They are different situations because, unlike Gary Savage can play multiple positions on the defense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is what I'm trying to say, if you think a guy can play slot corner, then he's not forced off the field for a different safety. They are different situations because, unlike Gary Savage can play multiple positions on the defense.

No, he's just forced into a less valuable position where he's not as good/experienced. Which would be a poor use of a big investment.

Signing a slot corner and using the 1st round pick elsewhere would be a much better use of resources.

Members online

Latest posts