Ruvell Martin and WRs

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it as a given that DD has been awesome again this year :towel: , and I am confident that Greg Jennings will develop into a good one, but beyond that - what news for the Packers WRs?

I admire Ruvell Martin for his contributions this year - he seems to be one who makes the best of what he has. IMHO, I think he is worth persevering with. But I fear Fergy is gone - injured again just when he needed to come good.

What is the way forward at WR? We had no success at identifying FAs last year; who's likely to be available in FA or the draft?

Thoughts appreciated!

Chris

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would like to see TT pursue Randy Moss...even if a trade can't be worked out...

I'd still like to see the attempt...

I don't know who's a FA at WR this year...so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Jennings is still developing and KR is still a question mark, unfortunately....

(So..they'll have to get someone...IF they can get Moss or someone else..then Ruvell Martin's the odd man out..)

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The FA class of WR isn't very good this year, but there are some guys who I wouldn't mind seeing signed. Bryant Johnson, the third WR from Arizona is a free agent, and I think he'd provide pretty good depth. Also, Ernest Wilford from the Jagaurs never lived up to his potential, but he could be worth bringing in. I think he's pretty tall, and fits MM's mold for wide receiver. Drew Bennett of the Titans is also a free agent, he seems pretty solid.
I wouldn't mean seeing Randy Moss, even if he is an a-hole I feel like he can still play, especially with Favre throwing to him. However, I wouldn't give up more than a second round pick for him. As far as the draft goes, there appears to be some talent, but other than Calvin Johnson, I'm not sure if there's anyone who can contribute right away.

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I would like to see TT pursue Randy Moss...even if a trade can't be worked out...

I don't know who's a FA at WR this year...so I'll have to get back to you on that.

(So..they'll have to get someone...IF they can get Moss or someone else..then Ruvell Martin's the odd man out..)
If it was up to me Id trade Randy Moss to the Packers for a case of Guiness draught bottles (cans is a no deal). If you throw in an extra case Ill even drive him to Lambeau personally.

I like the Packs WR situation to a degree. I mean DD is a stud, Jennings is on the rise. Get yourself a nice slot guy in the draft and imo its a good enough corp to win with.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems to take wide receivers a long time to develop, which means you probably can't address a starter in the draft. That means a trade or free agency to fill the holes. Ferguson never lived up to what was thought to be his potential anyway. He's all done. Jennings started out pretty well, but he didn't adjust, or couldn't adjust to the coverage schemes they were throwing at him. I think he also went down mentally too. He has to develop some mental toughness. I don't see anyone else in our present corps of receivers other than Driver that should be back.

scharles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Packs WR situation to a degree. I mean DD is a stud, Jennings is on the rise. Get yourself a nice slot guy in the draft and imo its a good enough corp to win with.

Don't forget about Koren; I don't think we have to worry about much at WR after he's back.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
celticraider said:

Don't forget about Koren; I don't think we have to worry about much at WR after he's back.

True True also we wouldnt worry about kick and punt returns :thumbsup:

how long was his contract btw cant seem to remember :rubeyes:

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know if David Boston is healthy but if we can get him this offseason, he might turn out to be a stud. He could also be a dud. I doubt Tony Gonzalez would come to Green Bay but if he would consider it, i'd say pay him whatever he wants. If we cant get him we should try to get Eric Johnson of the 49ers(82 catches,825 yards in 04).

Drew Bennett/Boston and Johnson, or Bennett/Boston and Gonzalez would make us a playoff/superbowl contender if we can get ourselves a safety replacement as well. We need to do something. Koren Robinson "could" be the answer at receiver but he is a question mark just like David Boston. I'd like to see us get Boston because the man used to have talent that no receiver we have ever had has. He had the speed of Javon and the size of Sterling Sharpe. Hopefully either Boston or Robinson or both will turn their careers back around but a tight end is a must, please Ted Thompson PLEASE.

Our offense is too conservative and makes too many mistakes. We need proven smart dependable guys who wont drop the balls and wont fumble.

Seems pretty doable if you ask me. Unfortunately, we probably will enter 2007 with Bubba, the same safeties, and same receivers.

We will probably draft a cornerback in the first round and trade Al Harris for a 3rd rounder. Probably draft a runningback in the 2nd round. This way, we wont adress any problem areas and be worse next year.

Yipee.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it as a given that DD has been awesome again this year :towel: , and I am confident that Greg Jennings will develop into a good one, but beyond that - what news for the Packers WRs?

I admire Ruvell Martin for his contributions this year - he seems to be one who makes the best of what he has. IMHO, I think he is worth persevering with. But I fear Fergy is gone - injured again just when he needed to come good.

What is the way forward at WR? We had no success at identifying FAs last year; who's likely to be available in FA or the draft?

Thoughts appreciated!

Chris

Looks like Pack66 also says Randy Moss. I know Moss is unhappy in Oakland, and he's a huge Brett Favre fan. I think a trade can be worked out.

I'm pleased with Driver (a given). I think Jennings has plenty of talent and room to grow. I think R Martin is worth keeping. I hope we can trade Fergie and I wish Fergie the best of success elsewhere. I'm mixed on KRob - he's a wonderful deep threat, but I'm worried about his alcoholism.

So, realistically, we should be looking for a 3rd option. I think R Martin is a good, solid 4th. Jennings will develop into a good, solid 2nd.

In the receiving end of things though, I think our biggest need is a TE who can catch passes in the redzone and help get Brett Favre 30+ TDs again. That's the main thing we're lacking on offense imho.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Dwayne Jarrett falls to us in the draft you take him (I'd like to address safety with Laundry, but think he'll be gone). If not, trade down and grab Jeff Samardizja, who's a big receiver that could help in the red zone.

Draft will be the way to go at the wideout position, since there aren't really any worthwhile FAs, and I don't see Ted working out a trade for Randy Moss :(

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft could be deep with WRs!! Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn, Anthony Gonzalez, Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett, Jeff Samardizja!!! I'm drooling...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I'd definetely go for Moss. His teamates always rave about his work ethic and I think he's kept his nose clean the last two years since being out of Poopiesota. What worries me about him, would be his comment "im not happy, thats why im dropping balls, make me happy and see Randy Moss be the best" or something like that.

The flip side to that. I relate that with Charles Woodson. He wasn't happy in Oakland. Came here, seven INT's, career best. I hope if Moss comes here, the same thing happens.

Okay.

Koren Robinson. Question? Ok. Will the NFL let him play again? I think that's a non issue. Ray Lewis was involved in a murder an he's playing. There are many other players who were allowed to play. The hitch on this. We have a new Commissioner and we don't know how he's going to rule with this. So yes, that is a question.

Will be perform at a top level? I think so. I think it'll take a few(3-4) games before he hits his stride though.

If I'm right on this, he won't be partaking in training camp or anything at all because of the 1 yr ban.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss?? Youre kidding right?? This guy is a loser and always will be. And after he disgraced Lambeau?? It doesnt matter who coaches him or who he catches passes from; he is a timebomb. I'd rather bring Carl Ford back than sign Moss.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will probably draft a cornerback in the first round and trade Al Harris for a 3rd rounder. Probably draft a runningback in the 2nd round. This way, we wont adress any problem areas and be worse next year.

Yipee.

You should be banned immediately.

Yeah. Let's trade our best player on defense for a 3rd round pick.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Moss?? Youre kidding right?? This guy is a loser and always will be. And after he disgraced Lambeau?? It doesnt matter who coaches him or who he catches passes from; he is a timebomb. I'd rather bring Carl Ford back than sign Moss.

The disgrace was on the team allowing it to happen. The disgrace was having such a weak soft defense where no one drove Moss into the ground.

Remember, the Packers fans moon the away team's bus.

I'm more upset that the Packers players did nothing to stop it, then it happening.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
celticraider said:

Thats just what i was thinking. Koren fills us out at WR pretty good. WR is one of our strong points, let Ted look at other positions. Like safty for example :)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
scharles said:
celticraider said:

Thats just what i was thinking. Koren fills us out at WR pretty good. WR is one of our strong points, let Ted look at other positions. Like safty for example :)

safety and tight end.

If KRob comes back, we'll be solid at WR. If not, then we should be looking.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver and Jennings IMO are solid for 2007 #1 and #2

Robert Ferguson I dont understand but I cant help but like the guy, but for sure he is gone.

Ruvell Martin is a keeper and is probaly 2007 #3 or #4

probaly keep Carlyle Holiday for 2007 for #5 or #6 (if they keep 6)

I'm guessing signing a FA or draft a #3-#6 whichever Ruvell/Holiday is not.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Driver and Jennings IMO are solid for 2007 #1 and #2

Robert Ferguson I dont understand but I cant help but like the guy, but for sure he is gone.

Ruvell Martin is a keeper and is probaly 2007 #3 or #4

probaly keep Carlyle Holiday for 2007 for #5 or #6 (if they keep 6)

I'm guessing signing a FA or draft a #3-#6 whichever Ruvell/Holiday is not.

I wouldn't count on Ferguson being gone. He's a lockeroom favorite of many of the elder Packers and some of the younger ones. They claim he's a good leader.

OP
OP
C

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts so far - all interesting and informative.

Yes, I had forgotten about Koren Robinson. If he can get himself sorted out, he could be a contributor.

I can't really see our WR posn as a strength - though I'd be hard pressed to say quite why. They seem better on paper than on the field! And like cyoung, I can't understand Fergy, but can't help pulling for him. To me it felt like he had to come back strong this year, or perhaps we'd have to conclude that the clothesline had done for him.

Driver/Jennings/Robinson/R Martin and/or a rejuvenated Ferguson would be great - but not that different from this year ... I'm confused ;)

I'd struggle to see Mossy in Green and Gold - but I guess a few TDs and a run to the Superbowl with GB would improve my perspective on him! :lol:

Chris

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we dump Fergy and keep Martin, Robinson, and of course Jennings and Driver. I then think we find a guy in the draft like we did this year. We will be OK as long as Brett comes back for another season.