1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by jaybadger82, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    So, obviously I'm a UW fan/alumnus and this topic is a bit self-indulgent.

If Russell Wilson is sitting there on the third day of the draft, I think we should grab him to plug our hole at backup QB. Yes, he's short but he put together an obscene completion percentage behind an o-line at Wisconsin that is bigger than the Pack's, ran a pro-style offense that he was able to pick up within a month or two and he certainly passes the character test.

Links (none to my personal blog):

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7800374 (Gruden Camp for ESPiN; Highlight is Gruden spazing out at the 3:25 mark: "He's too short! He's too short!")

http://footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2012/lewin-career-forecast-2012 (Football Outsiders; Wilson is the asterisk at the bottom...)

Thoughts?

2. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    Since he has the athleticism and already a decent passer to NFL standards, I think we should get him. Imagine what will happen when he is sitting behind Aaron Rodgers and being taught by one of the best Quarterback coaches in McCarthy. He easily has the potential to be a top QB and look like a little slower Vick with better accuracy and arm strength.

3. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +490
    I concur... RW is nice!

4. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I like him. If we can snag him mid-round I think it would be good for all parties. Let him learn from the best.

5. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Kellen Moore had better numbers, but that's unfair. Wilson will probably never be a starting qb due to his height, but if we get another undersized center like Molk, he may work out. At least to the point where we can trade him like Flynn and Hasselbeck. A-Rodge still has at least a good 8 years to go, if not 12. I like Wilson, he's a smart kid, but he probably should have gone MLB

6. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    ...You wouldn't say that if you looked at his minor league baseball stats.

I'm rooting for Wilson to overcome the height thing (it's a tired criticism that ignores performance). The suggestion that he'll struggle behind a large linemen ignores that he played behind a massive o-line at Wisconsin (larger than most NFL lines). He completed almost 73% of his passes while taking snaps from 6'5" Peter Konz: it's a mistake to suggest he needs an undersized center to make his progressions and find his receivers. (Note, completion percentage is one of the most reliable college statistical predictors of QB success at the next level.)

Hard to think Wilson is destined to become a starter but he's got quality backup written all over him. If I'm buying "Day 3 of the NFL Draft Lottery Tickets," I want to line up Wilson.

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I like wilson better than a big 10 QB that will go higher than him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    If hes there at 4-5 round Id say take him.

9. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    ...He should stick to subs...

10. DoddPower

DoddPower Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!

Ratings:
    +54
    I can't see this guy lasting past the 4th. It'd be fantastic if we could grab him somehow. As an NC State guy I get to claim more of him than you Badger folk!!! heh heh. Actually I was glad to see him go to hopefully achieve more success. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

11. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    Hope so.

Dubious ESPiN expert Mel Kiper has him going in the 6th or 7th round in this chat. Apparently he isn't tall enough (-haven't heard that before!). I suspect someone takes him earlier but if he's sitting there on day 3, the Packers should claim him.

Go Wolfpack!

12. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    I would love if we drafted him. Smart, talented QB.

13. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
  14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    He will get killed if he tries to run like he did in the big 10. Instead I hope he just tries to extend the play, aka pull a Favre

15. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    I'd give Rodgers about 10 more years in the NFL. I predict that whoever we get as a back up we'll trade him to Seattle.

16. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    Who's the QB that's about 6'7'?

17. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    He did much less running after transitioning to Wisconsin (compare 79 rushing attempts at UW to 149 the year before at NCST). He took off six or seven times per game in B10 play, often to salvage yards on broken plays or when there was space but he impressed me with his ability to keep his eyes down field and avoid crushing hits.

18. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +417
    I think that's Brock Osweiler. I didn't watch a lot of ASU but he didn't blow me away in the games I saw. Some think he will go in the second round...

19. PalmettoPacker

PalmettoPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    If Kirk Cousins from MSU is still around by the 4th or 5th round I'd like to see us grab him over Wilson. If not then maybe sign John Brantley from Florida as a FA or take him in the 7th round. Brantley has talent, but didn't fit Urban's system and had to deal with a coaching change last year.

20. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Cousins also however I don't see him still there in the 4th round.

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Project QB at best. People just like the size and look. Pretty much the opposite of Wilson

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I've seen cousins play in person maybe 10x, and do not think he is an nfl QB, but I do think he has a career at espn in front of him, as he is the most well spoken athlete I have seen in a long time.