Rumour has it...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
link doesnt work....Google search doesnt show any talks heating up, only still far apart

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he realizes that no other team is going to offer him anywhere near the amount of money as the Packers. Not that he hasn't been good, because he has. There's just no way he's more valuable to any other team than he is for us.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I hope he realizes that no other team is going to offer him anywhere near the amount of money as the Packers. Not that he hasn't been good, because he has. There's just no way he's more valuable to any other team than he is for us.

I think he'll end up resigning. There aren't a whole lot of teams who are in dire need of a center and even if they were they aren't going to give him the amount of money he probably wants. He'll be back

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I recall Wells and his agent wanted a 7.5 mill multi-year contract. The Packers were offering something in the range of 5-5.5 mill a year. Somewhere in the middle, a 4-year, 6 million a year contract with enough guaranteed money is as much as I think the Packers should give.

Now that FA has started, I'm hearing word that teams out there are much more reluctant to pay top dollar and tie themselves up for years. Mario Williams is an example. Word now has it that he may possibly return to the the Oilers because teams out there are rightly scared to give him 10 million over the next 3-4 years. Carl Nicks is another one. He wants to the be top-paid OL in pro football, and the Saints have pretty much said, well, if you do, good luck to you. I seriously doubt he'll get that kind of money.

So maybe the FA frenzy is starting to subside and folks are coming back down to earth. Except for the Peyton Manning sweepstakes of course. And how about them Redskins? Holy bajezuz, 3 firsts and a second all for RGIII?

OP
OP
M

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would let him walk.
Look at most of the centers around in the league, they are all low round draft picks.
I would get the Ohio center in the 4th, and possibly sign Todd McClure on the cheap from the Falcons. He is 35, but will be servicable for a couple of seasons. And he comes from a zone scheme...
I don't see why Wells, as the article points out, earn more than a young pro bowler like Sitton.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that FA has started, I'm hearing word that teams out there are much more reluctant to pay top dollar and tie themselves up for years. Mario Williams is an example. Word now has it that he may possibly return to the the Oilers because teams out there are rightly scared to give him 10 million over the next 3-4 years.

sorry, I laughed at that :D. They are in Tennessee as the Titan's now btw ;)

I don't see why teams wouldn't spend the money on guys, they have a bottom now where they have to spend too. Someone (Tampa, Bangles, Seattle, Washington, etc) will pay a good chunk of change for him.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry, I laughed at that :D. They are in Tennessee as the Titan's now btw ;)

I don't see why teams wouldn't spend the money on guys, they have a bottom now where they have to spend too. Someone (Tampa, Bangles, Seattle, Washington, etc) will pay a good chunk of change for him.

Texans...Oilers...they're both from Texas and that's all that counts as in : :poop:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Press Gazette article quoted below talks about Thompson's history regarding free agency and then talks about Wells. While Wells is undersized and on the wrong side of 30, he is the "QB" of the Packers OL and he probably had the best season of any player on the line.
“Center is sometimes difficult to replace in the draft,” the scout said. “You’re going to have growing pains. The balancing act is, if you have a young center you definitely want an experienced quarterback who can pick up some of the slack making line calls and those kind of things. The other positions — defensive back is a little easier to fill (in the draft) if you find a good athlete. If you’re going to be young, it’s good to be young and physical on defense as opposed to being young and inexperienced on offense. Same thing with their outside linebacker. If you have an ability or knack for rushing the passer, you have a chance to overcome inexperience. I think you could fill both the defensive holes in the draft.”
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaz...ster-holes-point-possible-free-agent-signings

I agree with the point in the article that it makes more sense to have a vet at OC and rookies on defense than the reverse. The importance of Rodgers to the Packers is a factor favoring Wells in negotiations and the glut of OCs on the market favor the Packers. I'd like to see him back but of course not at his price.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Texans...Oilers...they're both from Texas and that's all that counts as in : :poop:
Where your from & where your at are 2 different things. Otherwise we'ed have to teams named Clevland Browns. That's something the NFL doesn't want or need. Then we'ed also have 2 teams named Baltimore Colts......Not Happin'

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Add two more starting centers to the all ready crowded FA pool. The Rams are cutting Jason
Brown and the Bucs Jeff Faine. Both are decent players and this will hopefully dilute Wells'
asking price.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
posting on here to just promote something else? sweet

There are going to be a ton of vets on the market this year due to salary cap issues. Should be some decent bargins for some teams.

If Chicago was smart they would spend a little on alot of different positions, instead of everything on one.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
posting on here to just promote something else? sweet

There are going to be a ton of vets on the market this year due to salary cap issues. Should be some decent bargins for some teams.

If Chicago was smart they would spend a little on alot of different positions, instead of everything on one.
You realize these are the Bears you're talking about, right? Not the Cubs or Sox? Who needs an offense when you can spend the entire cap on defense?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You realize these are the Bears you're talking about, right? Not the Cubs or Sox? Who needs an offense when you can spend the entire cap on defense?

Odds Cutler gets hurt again next season? 72%

Id be concerned about getting a long term contract if I was Forte if they sign Williams.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine Wells' asking price will come back down to Earth once he realizes his position is saturated in free agency this year.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where your from & where your at are 2 different things. Otherwise we'ed have to teams named Clevland Browns. That's something the NFL doesn't want or need. Then we'ed also have 2 teams named Baltimore Colts......Not Happin'

I am pretty sure he was kidding

Members online

Latest posts