Round 2 pick 61- josh Jones NC state

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is still such a stupid, wasted pick IMO though...

He's going to be rotational DL body type of guy... a Pennel... such a stupid pick
ok you have said that in several threads ... several times now.... you may be right ... don't know... but we get the picture ... you don't like him.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have had a terrific draft IMO. Drafted two players in the secondary who they can plug and play immediately and who should be upgrades for them.

Seems like the Packers along with the Cowboys knew they had holes in the secondary they had to address and both did.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Adams is still such a stupid, wasted pick IMO though...

He's going to be rotational DL body type of guy... a Pennel... such a stupid pick
Let's re visit? At end of season.. For now just let it play out?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring injury he's rarely going to play.

Loved King. Not a fan of this

How can you possible you know that "barring injury, he's rarely going to play"? The Packers lost Micah Hyde. He could easily become the new "hybrid defensive back" who covers the tight end. He's faster and bigger than Hyde and could definitely make an impact this year. Per NFL.com, "Then they selected safety Josh Jones, who will play in the Micah Hyde role for the Packers despite being a solid 220 pounds."

I don't "love" the pick either since the Packers need linebackers and a running back, but hat's a really bold statement.

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted an edge rusher or a back to help lessen the load off of Montgomery...seems like last year all over again with the 1st two draft picks being spent (wasted) on players that won't or might not get on the field ...this time last year everyone was excited about both cbs and we are right back there again.

You feel like an edge rusher, or even a rb, is going to see the field more than King? Considering the state of our secondary before last night, I'd say I doubt it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you possible you know that "barring injury, he's rarely going to play"? The Packers lost Micah Hyde. He could easily become the new "hybrid defensive back" who covers the tight end. He's faster and bigger than Hyde and could definitely make an impact this year. Per NFL.com, "Then they selected safety Josh Jones, who will play in the Micah Hyde role for the Packers despite being a solid 220 pounds."

I don't "love" the pick either since the Packers need linebackers and a running back, but hat's a really bold statement.

Cause he isn't playing no Hyde role this year. If your talking about him playing Saftey in a 3 Saftey dime package sure but I don't even think he'll be our 3rd best Saftey so there's that.

And for all the talk about how we just replaced the Hyde role I'm suprised cause Hyde wasn't that good.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cause he isn't playing no Hyde role this year. If your talking about him playing Saftey in a 3 Saftey dime package sure but I don't even think he'll be our 3rd best Saftey so there's that.

And for all the talk about how we just replaced the Hyde role I'm suprised cause Hyde wasn't that good.

Well almost every analyst said he will play the Hyde role. And I think the hope is he plays it better due to his size and speed. Not sure why you are dismissing him so quickly

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What is that analysis based off of?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is that analysis based off of?

It's based on my opinion that the "Hyde role" is filled by a CB with Saftey instincts and a player that knows the playbook well enough to move around the field in different alignments.

I'm not seeing Jones as a guy to feel comfortable with having him lining up and cover the slot in man as I don't see a guy with those natural "CB" skills but even if I'm wrong in that regard I sure don't see him comming in his rookie year and knowing this defense well enough to move around the field and filling multiple roles.

I see a guy who has all the physical tools but lacked the natural instincts to maximize those tools (hense why he lasted so long) and it's those instincts combined with the knowledge of knowing the defensive playbook that a player needs in order to fill that role.

I'm hopefull the coaches can take his physical tools and mold him into a great player but for the reasons I listed I'd wager it won't be this year and I'm skeptical on whether he'll even be our 3rd best Saftey when camp ends which is why I don't see him playing a ton of snaps this season outside of a 3 Saftey dime sub package and even then it's only if he proves to be the 3rd best Saftey this season which is something I view as far from certain.

Protection from if we lose Burnett sure. (People should stop bringing up Ha Ha as we can still exercise his 5th year option) And he's a player with potential to be sure but I'm just not seeing a bunch of playing time for him this season barring injury

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
First of all I think Jones was our best pick of the draft. I don't understand all the Hyde comparison. They are nothing alike other then versatility. Hyde was a slow safety/corner with good instincts. Nothing special and he got blown by in the slot many many times. Hyde simply had some limitations.

I don't see Jones as a Nick Collins style player but he is as talented and this Jones loves to hit. He had over a 100 tackles last year at South Carolina. The guy has all the tools to be special, He can pretty much play anywhere in the seconadey. He adds a level of speed and explosiveness we haven't had in the secondary since Nick Collins. I've heard some experts say he should of gotten picked before Peppers as he is the better football player. If people must need a comparison I see him as a tad smaller Kam Chancellor with better wheels. I'm really excited about this pick and I am sure Capers is too.

Look for Jones to be an immediate "tone setter" on the defensive side of ball.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Capers does like having an impact Nickel, in-box safety. The kids college production was pretty good but Im not sure I see a Woodsonesque playmaker roaming between the hash marks. I liken him to Jabrill Peppers but without the hype.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I think Jones was our best pick of the draft. I don't understand all the Hyde comparison. They are nothing alike other then versatility. Hyde was a slow safety/corner with good instincts. Nothing special and he got blown by in the slot many many times. Hyde simply had some limitations.

I don't see Jones as a Nick Collins style player but he is as talented and this Jones loves to hit. He had over a 100 tackles last year at South Carolina. The guy has all the tools to be special, He can pretty much play anywhere in the seconadey. He adds a level of speed and explosiveness we haven't had in the secondary since Nick Collins. I've heard some experts say he should of gotten picked before Peppers as he is the better football player. If people must need a comparison I see him as a tad smaller Kam Chancellor with better wheels. I'm really excited about this pick and I am sure Capers is too.

Look for Jones to be an immediate "tone setter" on the defensive side of ball.
Despite his size, he disappointed me a bit as a box safety. He took bad angles and didn't really play to his size. I don't see him as a Cam Chancellor, hole-plugging safety, as he really doesn't seem to work around blocks nor have a plan for taking the ball carrier down.

However, he looked good in coverage. The numbers he put up at the combine absolutely show up on tape. Great closing speed and burst. He looks best when he has an unobstructed path to the ball. I think he'd function well as a single high, and he can handle many coverage duties.

Reminds me a bit of a faster Kevin Byard. You wish they would play bigger, but I think he made a good step to doing that in his first NFL season, and hopefully Jones will as well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Despite his size, he disappointed me a bit as a box safety. He took bad angles and didn't really play to his size. I don't see him as a Cam Chancellor, hole-plugging safety, as he really doesn't seem to work around blocks nor have a plan for taking the ball carrier down.

However, he looked good in coverage. The numbers he put up at the combine absolutely show up on tape. Great closing speed and burst. He looks best when he has an unobstructed path to the ball. I think he'd function well as a single high, and he can handle many coverage duties.

Reminds me a bit of a faster Kevin Byard. You wish they would play bigger, but I think he made a good step to doing that in his first NFL season, and hopefully Jones will as well.

That's why I called him a tad smaller and faster Chancellor based on prototype. I don't expect him to show up big time in the box like Chancellor either. However; he is closer to Chancellor then Hyde at the very least. I would actually prefer to see him single high like you posted and move Dix down to the box. Jones has more range then Dix so the move makes perfect sense.

Here is the bottom line. Jones could play anywhere in the secondary in a pinch if he had too. Cover 2 at corner, box safety, high safety, slot. He is a valuable piece to what Capers does on D and week to week specific matchups. I expect a learning curve here but his presence and knock you out attitude will show up early. Bet on it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I cannot say I watched a lot of safeties of this caliber. I wasn't anticipating the position. But this is what Daniel Jeremiah said about him (his #41 player):

Jones moved all around in the Wolfpack defense. In each game I watched him play in, he aligned as the high safety, in the box, or over the slot. He is extremely fluid and athletic. He has outstanding range from the deep middle and he shows a burst to fill the alley in run support. In the slot, he has the size to match up with tight ends and enough agility to redirect against smaller receivers. He is instinctive and displays excellent ball awareness. He doesn't always bring his feet on contact but when he does, he demonstrates stopping power. Overall, Jones is a very gifted athlete with a high upside as a free safety.

Much of that sounds exactly like the Hyde role to me. And while he wasn't a corner most of the time for NCSU, he's certainly a better athlete than Hyde.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I cannot say I watched a lot of safeties of this caliber. I wasn't anticipating the position. But this is what Daniel Jeremiah said about him (his #41 player):

Much of that sounds exactly like the Hyde role to me. And while he wasn't a corner most of the time for NCSU, he's certainly a better athlete than Hyde.

He is a "pro bowl version" of Hyde.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we would have taken Awuzie had he not gone to the cowboys but that being said this dude could easily turn out to be better.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hence my earlier query if he could be a tweener. Put on 10-15# and become an edge player. Or maybe Burnett.

No way that's gonna happen nor should we want it to. if he put on 10-15 I guess you'd be moving him to ilb but I think he's good as what he is the next starting safety for the packers. Even if Burnett is resigned by the time it time for Jones 2nd contract he'll be the starter and if he really hits the ground running he could be starting opposite dix next season

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He's a safety with corner measurables and skills. I don't see how that makes him a tweener. A tweener is like a guy too small to be an end and not athletic enough to be a linebacker. Lacks the traits for either. A guy with tools to do two things isn't a tweener. That's just called versatility.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now as mini camp is upon us, the vets on this team really like Jones, say he is all business! I'm hoping for the best.

Hopefully Jones turns into a great player but there's no reason to put too much stock into any reports out of OTAs.

Members online

Latest posts