Round 2 pick 61- josh Jones NC state

H

HardRightEdge

Um, Can he do MLB tweener type position?
Not based on the college tape. If you look carefully at his box play, and he played there quite a bit, there's a lot of hopping and step-chopping rather than play recognition and flow. If that's all he did in college he might be a low round/UDFA.

That said, I like the pick. "B", maybe "B+".

Big (6'1", 220 lbs), fast (4.41), hops, strong (20 lifts).

While he plays smaller than his size in the box, what you're buying is a guy with speed and coverage technique who will hit you in the open field.

I mentioned several times pre-draft that S in the top 3 should not be a shock. If anybody wondered about the seriousness of McCarthy's intent to play Burnett in the box, this should answer that question. How about 3-safety dime? Dix and Burnett will be free agents after this season. And we need a guy who might take the slot job.

This is a kind of Awuzi alternative. Awuzi is more twitchy and a better fit for the slot with safety versatility. Jones is more of a cover and close safety, but he might work in the slot in some match ups.

This team needs more speed in pursuit and the open field, and this guy fits that bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not based on the college tape. If you look carefully at his box play, and he played there quite a bit, there's a lot of hopping and step-chopping rather than play recognition and flow. Of that's all he did in college he might be a low round/UDFA.

That said, I like the pick. "B", maybe "B+".

Big (6'1", 220 lbs), fast (4.41), hops, strong (20 lifts).

While he plays smaller than his size in the box, what you're buying is a guy with speed and coverage technique who will hit you in the open field.

I mentioned several times pre-draft that S in the top 3 should not be shock. If anybody wondered about the seriousness of McCarthy's intent to play Burnett in the box, this should answer that question. Dix and Burnett will be free agents after this season. And we need a guy who might take the slot job.

This is a kind of Awuzi alternative. Awuzi is more twitchy and a better fit for the slot with safety versatility. Jones is more of a cover and close safety, but he might work in the slot in some match ups.

This team needs more speed in pursuit and the open field, and this guy fits that bill as well.

yea but Awuzi would have been ours if the Cowboys didn't get him lol

H

HardRightEdge

a more athletic Micah Hyde
I agree with that, but frankly I don't see that as a high bar to cross. He'd be a better slot than Hyde, but I gotta say, Hyde played some poor ball against quicker slots. Jones is really more of a SS/FS, but when Burnett is not playing ILB, he'd be an upgrade at slot. There will be some competition for that job.

3-safety dime coverage should be expected as well.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that, but frankly I don't see that as a high bar to cross. He'd be a better slot than Hyde, but I gotta say, Hyde played some poor ball against quicker slots. Jones is really more of a SS/FS, but when Burnett is not playing ILB, he'd be an upgrade at slot. There will be some competition for that job.

3-safety dime coverage should be expected as well.

yea I was going to suggest they do 3 safety now and he's a big dime who could play that thumper against the run too!

He is bigger than Hyde off the bat, and pretty strong too for his speed..

Again, his production is solid though as well which is what I think is most important really... can he make plays???(at least in college lol) YES

H

HardRightEdge

yea I was going to suggest they do 3 safety now and he's a big dime who could play that thumper against the run too!

He is bigger than Hyde off the bat, and pretty strong too for his speed..

Again, his production is solid though as well which is what I think is most important really... can he make plays???(at least in college lol) YES
I don't see Jones doing much as a run defender except running plays down in space or shooting a gap from behind the box. That's just a way of saying he's a safety, not a box player.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Jones doing much as a run defender except running plays down in space or shooting a gap from behind the box. That's just a way of saying he's a safety, not a box player.

that was what i was getting at, filling the gaps bc he has the athleticism to do so

Reaction score
While I would've liked a LB and never guessed he'd take our top 2 in the secondary this soon after 2015.
I'm proud of the direction in which Ted has taken. It's very apparent he's focusing on Defense and pass defense specifically.
We couldnt afford to lose focus here with all these great Offensive players swirling around and these players look formidable.
What next? Maybe OL? OLB or RB?
Pretty exciting

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly Jahri Evans is a solid "band aid" for our OL so i think it's not a priority and neither is OLB...

Probably another DL and/or RB

Reaction score
Honestly Jahri Evans is a solid "band aid" for our OL so i think it's not a priority and neither is OLB...

Probably another DL and/or RB
While that might be true. We can't count on 1 man to replace the loss of both starting guards and a good backup C/G
It's not a **** pick going after an O Lineman I understand that. You can't have too much depth or competition here. We have two 4th rounders and I'd spend one at OL if the right opportunity presents itself.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probably, but we still have Spriggs so... it'll be a late pick

it's probably Perine here

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 4ths and 2 5ths give easy options for a guard and rb. You can get quality guys at those positions in those rounds.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 4ths and 2 5ths give easy options for a guard and rb. You can get quality guys at those positions in those rounds.

yea i'm guessing he'll take OL in 4th and/or 5th

Idk... i woujld have like Perine here to take over for Lacy's role.... Adams will just be a rotational body, that's really what's going to happen and i'm sure like 90% of us know that lol

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great pick. He looks like an allpro on paper. I think he will impress us all. Give us an option if Burnett or haha price themselves out of GB too...

Love all three picks so far.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great pick. He looks like an allpro on paper. I think he will impress us all. Give us an option if Burnett or haha price themselves out of GB too...

Love all three picks so far.

to be honest though, Kevin King was a given... he made a shrewd move getting a "free" 4th rounder and still getting him though

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea i'm guessing he'll take OL in 4th and/or 5th

Idk... i woujld have like Perine here to take over for Lacy's role.... Adams will just be a rotational body, that's really what's going to happen and i'm sure like 90% of us know that lol

Perine is still on the board right? If the Packers get him at the top of the 4th that seems to make for an ideal start. We'll I guess still no olb

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perine is still on the board right? If the Packers get him at the top of the 4th that seems to make for an ideal start. We'll I guess still no olb

Adams is still such a stupid, wasted pick IMO though...

He's going to be rotational DL body type of guy... a Pennel... such a stupid pick

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is still such a stupid, wasted pick IMO though...

He's going to be rotational DL body type of guy... a Pennel... such a stupid pick

Agree to disagree. I like the pick. He looks to have way more upside than Pennel. Prisco gave the pick a b plus. Others have been high on it. Scouts are all over the place on him but he fits a need

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. I like the pick. He looks to have way more upside than Pennel. Prisco gave the pick a b plus. Others have been high on it. Scouts are all over the place on him but he fits a need

Hendrickson would have been better... better production... more of a pass rush threat...no concerns about "underachieving" like Adams had

Reaction score
Regardless if we like or don't like the individual selections so far,it is very apparent how we prioritized the Defense. We have 2 Fourths and 2 Fifths
with the first pick Saturday as a bonus pick so.. it'd be cool to go Offense on 2 of the next 4 picks if possible.

Reaction score
Yes. I've been seeing him projected 2nd to 3rd rounds range. Considering he was still around end of the 3rd solid pick. Nothing splashy just solid.
He's fast for a 304# man.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts