Round 2 pick 61- josh Jones NC state

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. They clearly want to get faster on defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plays CB as well.

Mayock said he was shooting up the boards and would not have thought him a reach at the end of the first.

Great athlete who likes to hit.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really liking our first 2 picks. Definitely adding speed, size, and talent to the secondary

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-jones?id=2558119

Strengths
Possesses prototypical combination of size and speed. Has acceleration and top-end speed to range all over the field. Plus athletic ability and reactive quickness. Has ability to disguise his coverage before sprinting back to centerfield. Has experience with both safety spots. Fluid in his movement and is an explosive leaper when challenging at the high-point. Has the ball skills to rake it or take it. Plays with eager eyes that stay glued to quarterback's intentions. Has the closing burst to challenge throws. Extremely aggressive. Bouncy feet can't wait to fire downhill and hit something. Accelerates through the collision. Does a good job of punching and playing off of blockers.

Weaknesses
His aggression is a double-edged sword. Will come in too hot looking to lay the lumber and end up missing his mark as a tackler. Needs to do better job of coming to balance as a tackler. From zone coverage, can be a little slow to anticipate routes and squeeze the throwing windows. Gets hyper-focused on quarterback and will lose track of his assignments. Will bite on play-action bait and get drawn out of position.

Draft Projection
Round 2

Sources Tell Us
"This guy would just as soon hit you as look at you on the football field. Hey, it's fun to watch his tape because he's already got that NFL mentality to him, but he gets way out of control too. I saw that early on in the tape. You've got to rein him in a little bit." - AFC defensive backs coach

NFL Comparison
Mike Mitchell

Bottom Line
Jones is a height-weight-speed prospect to be sure, but he's not just a traits-based safety. Jones has the appetite for hitting that teams will want around the box and he has the speed and ball skills to range and help against vertical threats from a deep safety spot. The big area of concern will be Jones' ability to play with better discipline in coverage and as a tackler. He has the ability to become a good, long-time starter in the league.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From walter football

1. Josh Jones*, S, N.C. State
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 220. Arm: 32.
    40 Time: 4.41.
    Projected Round (2017): 2-3.
    4/26/17: Jones was a solid player for the Wolfpack during the past three seasons. He is a strong safety type for the NFL and plays with an aggressive and relentless nature. Jones ran fast times at the combine, and some safety-needy teams are considering Jones as an option on Day 2 of the 2017 NFL Draft. Team sources believe hJonese could go in the second round and won't fall out of the third.

Jones collected 109 tackles with eight passes batted and three interceptions as a junior before deciding to skip his senior year. He had 63 tackles as a sophomore and 56 stops in 2014. Jones snagged four interceptions as a redshirt freshman.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched some highlights. I'm seeing prototype speed, size, and burst. And he's physical, and possesses ball skills. I'm extremely optimistic, though I'll watch some of his game tape to form a less biased opinion.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's really freaking good. This isn't a "find a diamond in the rough" pick at all. Just didn't really want a safety with that pick at all, but that's fine I guess. The value's there big time, I just feel like we could have gotten a player that represented value and need in a way that outweighed Jones' value.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde replacement in the immediate future I believe. He can cover TE's, play the deep balls, blitz and loves to hit. Every report has this kid as one of the fastest risers over the last few months. Plus the kid can run. I could see them using him in a Bucannon type role.

I was thinking that exactly, a buccannon type player for us which would be much welcomed by me.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So our safeties are likely going to be: HaHa, Burnett, jones, Brice.
Cbs: king, randall, Rollins, house, Gunter, (Hawkins or waters?)

I can live with that.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People complain about his lack of playing time but not a single player drafted here would have started or played a ton barring injury.

shane m harmon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted an edge rusher or a back to help lessen the load off of Montgomery...seems like last year all over again with the 1st two draft picks being spent (wasted) on players that won't or might not get on the field ...this time last year everyone was excited about both cbs and we are right back there again.

Members online

Latest posts