Roster Moves This Week

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure why the Packers would wait until Monday, since this was a known situation for a long time. But then again, having either player on the roster today isn't that critical either. Maybe wait until after the game on Sunday, to see which player(s) they want to let go of or IR, depending on any new injuries between now and then.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why the Packers would wait until Monday, since this was a known situation for a long time. But then again, having either player on the roster today isn't that critical either. Maybe wait until after the game on Sunday, to see which player(s) they want to let go of or IR, depending on any new injuries between now and then.
The exemption is most likely granted to allow the players to get back into game shape. They've been benched for a month without practicing. I think TT will wait until end of week to activate either or both most likely covering his butt against a serious injury during practice. I'd expect Pennel to be used against the Dull-*** running game.
I could see a trade of Abby based on his recent usage. Maybe Callahan but I'd think he's headed for the practice squad.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to know what the issue is with Abby. He outperforms everyone in practice and preseason, yet can't get a sniff of the field. Why???

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd like to know what the issue is with Abby. He outperforms everyone in practice and preseason, yet can't get a sniff of the field. Why???

Have to guess its performance in practice this year? Doubt its injury related, since he was active for the Giants game. Very few of the WR's not named Nelson, Cobb or Adams saw many snaps against the Giants.

I had high hopes for Abby, but his early injuries and lack of much playing time have him in a precarious spot on the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the 4 ahead of him are the better 4. They're going to give them time to sort this out. Our offense, even when setting records has been a slow starter seemingly every year. They seem to be getting better, albeit slowly this year. If things were flowing better, I'd bet we'd see others, but they want the top 3 and the QB to get their stuff together.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He's on the roster to backstop Cobb and Montgomery as a slot receiver. That is the only spot he is deemed able to play. Until they need him there he sits. Don't know why his playbook can't be expanded but it is what I see.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers will activate Pennel for Sunday's game vs. the Cowboys.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's been busy this week, IR'ing Banjo & Abby, and then activating to the 53 WR Allison and S Whitehead. That left holes in the Practice Squad to fill, so TT signed: CB Keith Baxter, WR Dez Stewart and OC Jacob Flores.

After looking at the roster I noticed that Corey Linsley is still hanging out there on the PUP list. He re-tore his hamstring shortly before Training Camp (mid/late July)... so he's been out, healing for over 3 months. Anybody know anything about his progress? I'm guessing with a Center on the PS that TT is keeping the interior OL cupboard stocked, which might mean Linsley isn't almost ready?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They said he started practicing a week ago, but haven't heard anything else

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems that CB Keith Baxter didn't make a good impression with the coaching staff as he was released from the practice squad yesterday, only three days after being signed.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seems that CB Keith Baxter didn't make a good impression with the coaching staff as he was released from the practice squad yesterday, only three days after being signed.

Kind of shows you the quality (lack of) of available guys at the CB position, at least those available without a trade. Depending on how this game goes Sunday, if the Packers think they are good enough to make a run in the playoffs, they may want to consider upgrading the CB position via a trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kind of shows you the quality (lack of) of available guys at the CB position, at least those available without a trade. Depending on how this game goes Sunday, if the Packers think they are good enough to make a run in the playoffs, they may want to consider upgrading the CB position via a trade.

Well, Baxter most likely wasn't the best cornerback available as a street free agent. The Packers don't have a lot of time to trade for a veteran wuth the deadline approaching next week.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Baxter most likely wasn't the best cornerback available as a street free agent. The Packers don't have a lot of time to trade for a veteran wuth the deadline approaching next week.
TT's got until Tues. at 3PM (CDT). Have to imagine an email to 31 teams with the questions "If you want to trade a CB who would it be and what round pick would you consider in return?" would get answered within a day... leaving TT 3 days to negotiate and/or work the cap. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

TT's got until Tues. at 3PM (CDT). Have to imagine an email to 31 teams with the questions "If you want to trade a CB who would it be and what round pick would you consider in return?" would get answered within a day... leaving TT 3 days to negotiate and/or work the cap. ;)

The Packers currently have $9.5 million of cap space which should be enough to trade for a cornerback.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While TT traded a conditional 7th for Niles Davis, I really don't see him pursing a quality CB in a trade. Let's hope he surprises me.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still convinced he could trade a ***** machine and a few balls and maybe a kicking tee for Tramon. That is the only trade I would consider. You only have to give him a refresher and not teach him the entire defense. He seriously should only cost a 7th rd pick and his salary is minimal at this point and its the last year of his deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm still convinced he could trade a ***** machine and a few balls and maybe a kicking tee for Tramon. That is the only trade I would consider. You only have to give him a refresher and not teach him the entire defense. He seriously should only cost a 7th rd pick and his salary is minimal at this point and its the last year of his deal.

Tramon has significantly regressed this season though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tramon could be an option for sure, but pretty sure TT wouldn't want to be stuck paying the remainder of his $6 M + salary for a player that hasn't been all that great this year.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Goodson won't receive a lot of playing time once Randall and Rollins return to the field though.

Hate to say it, but with the way both of those players have been in and out of the lineup, I'm not counting on both of them being able to finish the season playing every game. Maybe the Packers are banking on Shields being able to come back, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with another quality CB on the roster.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well ya....but Randall is out for a good 5 more weeks and idk what the Rollins timeline is. I wish Hawkins got some more looks out there. I really can not understand why they put Goodson on the field and why he is even on the team other than for special teams. He has become my new Brad Jones.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Keenan Lewis is a guy I wonder if the Packers are looking at. He had racked up some injuries and the Saints released him because of it, as well as his salary. But from I remember reading, he was suppose to be healthy and ready to go by October.

Staff online

Latest posts