Rookie RB Jackson: How Good?

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packers.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=669957

'Iso' on Brandon Jackson: Play-by-play breakdown of rookie running back's performance against Seahawks

Instead the soft-spoken rookie foreshadowed the ability to be a reliable two-down back primed to handle 20 carries a game. More importantly, he excelled on the team’s staple zone-blocking plays. Mike McCarthy ensured Jackson got plenty of carries with the first team offense against Seattle’s first team defense. Jackson didn’t crack open a run longer than nine yards. He rushed for 54 yards the hard way, methodically wearing down Seattle in a 48-13 romp. On 13 carries in two quarters of work, Jackson made a statement. Here is an isolated breakdown on Jackson during the six drives that he played against Seattle:

FIRST QUARTER

1st Drive (3 plays, 1 yard, 1:11 eclipsed)
The Packers’ first-team offense fell into a temporary Pittsburgh hangover early against the ‘Hawks, starting the game on this three-and-out. Jackson was only involved in one play. Following a Mark Tauscher holding penalty (you see more of those than UFO’s) Green Bay faced a 2nd and 16 and lined up in a king right I formation (FB Korey Hall off-set right). Jackson took a handoff designed to go inside Tauscher’s left hip, the lane was plugged so the rookie bounced the play outside. He beat linebacker Kevin Bentley to the corner, gaining seven yards on a run bound to go for only three. On 3rd and 9, Jackson was replaced by Noah Herron and Brett Favre’s pass to James Jones fell short.

2nd Drive (12 plays, 47 yards, 4:54)
Jackson has been grilled at times for poor technique on pass protection by the media and coaches alike. That criticism will cool off. On the Packers’ 12-play second drive, Jackson combined improved technique with fearlessness to make three key pickup blocks on two of the league’s best defensive players. Over the nine other plays, Jackson was used in several roles. He was a rusher, a route runner, and a decoy. Jackson is gaining a deep confidence in the offense and its intricacies. Green Bay opened on first down in shotgun. Jackson motioned left, split wide (drawing a defensive back away from the middle), and ran a streak, clearing space for Bubba Franks to catch a four-yard pass from Favre (remember this). The ensuing play, lined up in the ‘I,’ Jackson tucked his head and bulled forward for four yards. No dancing, just positive yardage. McCarthy inserted Noah Herron for third downs most of the night, but on this 3rd and 2, Jackson stayed in. Once again he quietly lent Franks a helping hand. The rookie made a cut block on Pro Bowl defensive end Patrick Kerney, allowing Favre to find Franks for 10 yards. Such a block on someone who has 58 career sacks will no doubt allow McCarthy to sleep a lot better at night. Instant Nyquil.

Two plays later Jackson did it again, this time against the 2005 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. Stamina isn’t a problem for this high draft pick. On 2nd and 7 from Seattle’s 41-yard line, Jackson lined up as the single back and kept Lofa Tatupu out of the pocket with a firm pass block. And you guessed it. Bubba benefited. Franks caught another Favre pass, this one for eight yards. Jackson didn’t have time for a squirt of Gatorade. In a semi hurry up tempo, the offense quickly got to the line and Jackson had his best run of the night. If he ever needs a blueprint for the zone blocking scheme, RB coach Edgar Bennett will dig up the film from Saturday’s game and point to this play. Positioned as the single back, Jackson took the ball left, glanced toward the middle for Jason Spitz, saw No. 72, veered his body right, and slid underneath Spitz for nine yards. Jackson ran downhill in a slanting motion - a style Terrell Davis revolutionized in Alex Gibbs’ genius invention. Later in the drive the Cornhusker had runs of two and three yards, while also making a 2nd down blitz pickup block on Tatupu. Unfortunately Seattle released the hounds on a bonzai blitz that play as Julian Peterson batted down Favre’s pass. Herron replaced Jackson on the following 3rd down and Favre forced a throw to Donald Lee on a deep post, forcing the Packers to settle on a 37-yard Mason Crosby field goal.

3rd Drive (2 plays, 7 yards, 0:57)
Following Will Blackmon’s 83-yard kickoff return, McCarthy didn’t get cute. Maybe visions of Buffalo’s Ko Simpson intercepting an end zone pass from Favre entered his mind. Or maybe he just wanted to see Jackson in a goal line back. Either way, Jackson continued to unleash his inner-bruiser. On 1st and goal, he started left, took a Fred Taylor-hop step right and lowered his shoulder into Peterson and safety Brian Russell for five yards. Then at the one, he ducked between Scott Wells and Daryn Colledge and bowled over the plane for the score. This is one major advantage of being a short back with V8 leg drive. In short yardage situations, the stocky Jackson is small enough to poke through small seams and still strong enough to push forward.

4th Drive (5 plays, 51 yards, 1:38)
If there is one play the Packers must reintroduce to the offense, it’s the screen pass. Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, and Ahman Green regularly deflated defenses on screens in long-yardage situations. As Favre said last week, defenses knew the screen was coming and still couldn’t stop it. Jackson still needs to improve his timing on screens. He is far from reaching Green’s comfort level on this classic sucker play. On 2nd and 10 in his fourth drive though, Jackson provided a glimpse. With defensive tackle Russell Davis breathing down his neck, Jackson calmly waited a split second, turned, caught Favre’s dump off and scampered 11 yards. Three plays later, Jackson had his fourth bout with pass blocking on the night. For the third time it was Tatupu. On 2nd and 8 from Seattle’s 16-yard line, Tatupu blitzed and Jackson held his ground. James Jones caught the Favre drag pass, prompting Tatupu to reverse his footing and chase him. It was too late. Jones was getting a beer spilled on him in the front row.

5th Drive (1 play)
On his fifth drive of the night, Jackson was joined by Aaron Rodgers in a shotgun backfield. A high, slippery snap sailed through Rodgers’ palms, over his head. On the snap, Jackson crossed in front of Rodgers in preparation for either a screen or shovel pass but once he saw he the fumble, the rookie dived into the scrum - to no avail.

6th Drive (9 plays, 71 yards, 4:08)
Brandon Jackson’s final drive of the night lifted his play count to 28 (Herron was in for four of the 32 total plays in the six drives). Much like the preseason opener, Jackson didn’t slow down with more carries. He heated up. On his nine-play sixth drive, Jackson did the same exact things he did on his overloaded second drive. On first down, he followed Ryan Powdrell on a basic halfback lead to the right. The hole was congested yet he still salvaged three yards. Next, for the third time in the game, Jackson was an effective decoy for Franks. Jackson motioned left, slid out wide and cleared a defensive back downfield. Franks caught the short pass left from Rodgers and gained nine yards. In essence, Jackson was instrumental in each of Franks’ four catches. On his final two attempts of the night, Jackson garnered runs of five and six yards, effectively using a great seal by Hall on his final carry. Hall turned Kevin Bentley outside of the alley and Jackson hit it.

The last thing McCarthy needs is a fourth injury at running back. No question, Ted Thompson and McCarthy are releasing a more profound sigh of relief each practice Jackson finishes as the team’s starting back. Saturday night’s game was further affirmation of the second round pick’s progress. He is reading defenses quicker and cutting with more authority- something he provided a taste of against the Super Bowl XL champions. Only this time it came against the starters of a defense in that same Super Bowl.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Thank you for making a new thread for us to easily discuss this! You Rock, Sir!

In the beginning I wasn't too excited about Brandon, however, after two games of closely watching his every movement, I think he's changing my tune on him.

I also heard on the radio (Chris Havel and Co.) that the OL is not cut-blocking like they would during the regular season out of respect for the DL in games that don't count. They also said they expect to see the cut-blocking utlitized to its normal use during the Jacksonville game when starters will play the first have an the first series of the 3rd quarter.

I'm hoping Brandon busts some ******* up during that game! :)

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with you zero on BJ but i still think that morency is the way to go if he can stay healthy, or maybe have a situation like in dallas with julius jones and marion barbre. And i also can compare the way you feel/felt about jackson to the way i feel/felt about aaron rodgers. I didnt like the idea of him replacing favre, but it seems he has learned a lot and come along way.. so far anyways. Only time will tell

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is obvious from this is the change over to the traditional help from the RB in the blocking scheme is allowing Bubba and Lee to get back into the action.

Another big body out on pass routes is an option BF could use.

The progress with the "0" line is making it's mark.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very nice to see blitz pick-up that had been reportedly suspect in TC. Also, seems to be getting acclimated to cut back and go style of running. Several nice catches out of the backfield. Did not exhibit breakaway speed, but did show toughness and ability to break tackles.

Very encouraging for a very raw, young player with plenty of upside. That said, to be effective, GB needs Morency to get back to full health so the tandem can function at peak efficiency. I worry if Jackson has to touch more than 19-22 times per game, and am not sold on any of the other backs on the roster save Morency.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson has some potential.

Morency should help. Oh, I forgot, he's hurt again. No help there.

We'll see where he is in December, like the rest of this team. If he doesn't get any help, he will be, shall we say, bruised.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=649213

Notes: Jackson secures hold at running back

You'd have to have a lot of faith in the healing powers of the Green Bay Packers' medical staff to think that anyone but rookie Brandon Jackson will be the starting halfback come opening day.games, and after posting a respectable 13-carry, 54-yard, one-touchdown performance in the Packers' 48-13 victory Saturday night over the Seattle Seahawks, there's little reason to think he won't be No. 1 on the depth chart the rest of training camp. Jackson's main competition, Vernand Morency, isn't ready to return to the field, and so the rookie from Nebraska will go into the third exhibition game poised to handle most of the running duties. General manager Ted Thompson said he thought rookie DeShawn Wynn (thigh) was still day-to-day and was not guaranteed of returning for the Jacksonville game Thursday, leaving Jackson, rookie Corey White and veteran Noah Herron to handle the rushing load.

It was supposed to be a two-man race between Jackson and Morency, but it has turned out to be no race at all. "Right now, he's definitely way ahead because the other guy unfortunately hasn't competed at all," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "There's really no comparison at this stage." To many observers, including Packers coach Mike McCarthy and Philbin, Jackson ran with better balance and fewer steps as he made his cuts into the hole, but Thompson said he didn't see anything different in Jackson than he did a week earlier at Pittsburgh. It appeared Jackson had far better success running the ball and was also more stout in his pass protection against Seattle, though some of that might have had to do with the overall performance of the offense....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morency should help. Oh, I forgot, he's hurt again. No help there.

Morency should be back in time for the regular season. Will he have more injuries? Probably. Just like Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, and even Samkon Gado had injuries. That's one of the nice things about the two-back system. If one guy goes down, your offense doesn't change so much, because you've still got one guy with about the same level of experience.

I know you suggested the Packers should franchise Ahman Green, but I just don't think he was worth that kind of money at this stage of his career. I wish him all the best in Houston, though, because he was always one of my favorite Packers.

LordEvil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you guys think that runningbacks get better? or are they just good,bad or just in the middle. i hope brandon jackson does really well. i just dont see the big speed burst that takes the the runs 4or 5 more yards, that the better backs in the league have.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...20070821/PKR01/708210494/1057/PKR&located=RSS

Positioned to contribute: History in Jackson's favor

When General Manager Ted Thompson put much of the fate of the Green Bay Packers' 2007 running game in his decision to forgo free agency and tab halfback Brandon Jackson in the second round of this year's draft, he at least did it at the position where high draft picks probably have the best chance of helping out immediately. The Packers need a major contribution from Jackson this year, not only because Thompson let Ahman Green leave in free agency but because of a knee injury to Vernand Morency in training camp. A look at last year suggests that if Thompson's judgment on Jackson was right — and with draft picks, it's almost always a big if — he can get quality play immediately, because halfbacks usually don't take too much time to develop. Five rookie running backs played big roles for their NFL teams in 2006, including two that were drafted after the first round....Jackson is the Packers' unquestioned lead halfback with Morency sidelined because of a patellar-tendon injury. Morency injured the knee on the first day of training camp, and the Packers have given no indication when he might be back, though they appear to be hoping for the regular-season opener at the earliest.

McCarthy plans on Jackson and Morency sharing the load at halfback over the long season, but even if Morency returns in early September, he'll have missed all of training camp and be out of football shape. That means the 21-year-old Jackson will be the primary halfback early in the season, and perhaps longer, for a Packers team that needs to pump up a running game that finished 23rd in the NFL in yards and 21st in average yards per carry last season. "If our committee (of backs) is not healthy, then it goes to a committee of one," said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers' director of pro personnel. "Coach Mike will figure out a way to get (Jackson) to be productive....

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packerama.blogspot.com/2007/08/rookie-of-year.html

Rookie of the year?

Interesting post from a fairly new blog, NFL Nostradamus. He sees Brandon Jackson as a top-five pick in his guess for possible offense Rookie of the Year honors: While not a first round pick, Jackson has generated a lot of buzz through the preseason as a potential starting running back for the Packers. Hmmm...