Rookie Numbers

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that the only number a CB should stay away from is #27, to avoid being Terrell Buckley reincarnated.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I was at the Packers Pro Shop yesterday.... I have to say the Stokes Jersey looked very tempting, his name just looked really good on a #21 jersey. However, I bought me a Savage jersey instead... gotta represent my profile pick.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that the only number a CB should stay away from is #27, to avoid being Terrell Buckley reincarnated.
You know, Buckley wasn't worth the one (they should have picked the corner from Wisconsin), but he did have a pretty long career. Expectations were just way too high and Holmgren wanted to hit a home run.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
#27 hasn't been that lucky for anyone. It seemed like Lacy would change that after 2 really good years, but then the wheels fell off,... or changed to meals on wheels.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
#27 hasn't been that lucky for anyone. It seemed like Lacy would change that after 2 really good years, but then the wheels fell off,... or changed to meals on wheels.
27 has been worn by two Hall of Famers, in Clarke Hinkle, Cal Hubbard, and two Packer Hall of Famers, in Claude Perry and Hank Bruder.
Not any standouts in my lifetime:
In the modern era, seven running backs, 11 defensive backs and two receivers have worn 27:
Runners: Larry Coutre 1950 and 1953, Veryl Switzer 1954-55, Cliff Taylor 1976, Herm Fontenot 1989-90, Calvin Jones 1996, Michael Blair 1998 and Eddie Lacy 2013-16.
Defensive Backs: Johnny Symank 1957-62, Al Randolph 1971, Hise Austin 1973, Gary Hayes 1984-86, Tony Elliott 1987r, Terrell Buckley 1992-94, Todd McBride 1999-2002, Michael Hawthorne 2003-04, Will Blackmon 2006-09, Anthony Smith 2010 and Josh Jones 2017.
Receivers: Red Mack 1966 and Claudis James 1967-68.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, not in my lifetime either. Lacy was probably the best #27 in the last 50 years, with Buckley 2nd, and Will Blackmon 3rd ( thanks to his return ability)
I remember watching Herman Fontenot and wondering why they don't give the guy a chance. He was averaging 5 yards a carry and catching the ball. But they would not give him a chance. He finally just quit. imho

Reaction score
Tedarrell Slaton, iDL, #93: This is a travesty. You got yourself a big ol' hoss who played as heavy as the 360's and you DON'T give him 98 or 99? Not even something in the 70's like they sometimes do with nose tackles??? What are we even doing here?? 2/10
Please agree with me or otherwise explain how you're wrong about the way you feel about these numbers.
That’s pretty funny stuff. I don’t know if it was meant that way but it gave me a chuckle.

Some don’t know that Tedarrell had earned All-American recognition and was the 3rd best ranked OG in the 2017 class, but his natural position was RT. He actually chose the Gators, who allowed him to convert to DT, which was the position he himself wanted to play (he nearly played OL for Georgia and had offers from Alabama, Florida St, Michigan’s Harbaugh was all over him on multiple occasions, LSU and over 15 other schools. But it sounded like it came down to Clemson or Florida and they worked his request at DT (he was considered an “elite” OG in the scouting community)

It’s very possible GB has one of the most diverse Lineman in the draft, as he has played both sides of the ball at a high level. ESPN had him as the #91 best college prospect in the country pre-draft. Maybe he chose that number because it was the closest to #91 overall?
Or Maybe they are keeping that number down some just in case they flip him to OL. It won’t be such a big change :whistling:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts