Rodgers is the problem

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
According to Jones, the colts did NOTHING different...He said it was the off players that didnt execute

but if you think they did adjust...What did they do different?

This is what Colts Cory Redding said after the game.

"Attitude," Redding said. "We didn't draw up nothing different. We didn't do no exotic stuff. We just said enough is e-freaking-nough. Put our foot down, and let's go after this boy, and make them beat us.

SVang_8704

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our problem is playing playing DJ Smith over AJ Hawk on 3rd downs...I dont like it at all

christofolo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The o-line stinks and MM has to try to stay away from those long developing pass plays...Rogers doesn't consistently have the time to do that so why keep trying MM? why? teams are taking away the slant because that is our bread and butter play but we have an elite qb so we don't win or loose games based on how many times we connect on the slant....... we win or loose based on scheme,personel packages, and adjustments. You have to be able to find the opponents weakness and take advantage of it until they are forced to adjust and then you adjust accordingly.

Indy could not get to #12 in the first half and he was on pace to drop 40 point's but they ADJUSTED!!! MM did not, plain and simple. Once the o-line showed they couldn't block anybody then he should have ran some screens and draws... but no he did not take ADVANTAGE of their aggressiveness which any smart coach would do. MM is a smart coach but he seems to stubborn to make the necessary adjustments at the most crucial times which he gets alot of heat for and well deserved.

When Benson went down we whould have used Kuhn running the ball more to keep us out of the 3rd and longs and mixed in Green with some screens and draws with a little more Randle Cobb running that jet sweep play he runs so well. Gotta make adjustments to try to win the game smh.
The team this year has many issues on both sides of the ball. Offensively, until we develop a running game that produces more, a more balanced attack has always been the best way to win, for any team. Many defenses today are so good at defending one dimensional teams. The O- line is clearly the weakest unit on the field, so it really is no surprise to see the offense look pedestrian thus far. Fix the damn line or Mr Rogers won't make it thru the season.
When teams have to honor the chance at defending the run, more than just once in a while, the field opens up a little bit more for big plays. If we can't hold our own at the line, the team will continue to struggle. Look at some of the D- lines coming up on the schedule, Man they have to straighten this out!
Defensively, the team is not a whole lot better than last years version. Maybe slightly better against the run, but the pass defense is still a very iffy concern. A bad scheme and shotty tackling still exists for this unit. How good is the 49ers D compared to ours? Worlds apart! When a D cant get off the field or make a big stop in a key spot of the game, { not many takeaways this year } it makes it a lot harder to win any game. The D game plan is not ideally suited to the players we have because i dont think they are as good as we thought they were. The overall personnel is lesser than many other Defenses. Clay is the only game changer for us and man, does he work his tail off for any success he achieves. Come on D! Step up and play with some kind of attitude to be deemed worthy of being a unit the team can count on. The Pack will be in deep **** { maybe .500 } if things dont start melding soon. As sports fans we think we know almost as much as coaches and coordinators but, it can be maddening when your team does not play up to their potential. May God bless this team with good health and better chemistry!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Does anybody know what is a good "counter offense" for physical bump and run secondaries?
Yep, hit them first. Slants are also a good counter move but a very dangerous pass with those LBs hanging around. Having big WRs like Nelson, Jones and Finley helps but it's also helpful if you are elusive like Jennings or Cobb. I think this is why Finley is such a big part of the O. Nobody is going to press him. Once he's out there teams have to respect him. Drops or not he is a key cog when he's playing.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The team this year has many issues on both sides of the ball. Offensively, until we develop a running game that produces more, a more balanced attack has always been the best way to win, for any team. Many defenses today are so good at defending one dimensional teams. The O- line is clearly the weakest unit on the field, so it really is no surprise to see the offense look pedestrian thus far. Fix the damn line or Mr Rogers won't make it thru the season.
They do have a running game. They will continue to have a running game if Starks is healthy. It's not a running game kind of team. It's impossible, yes, impossible to expect the Packers to become a running team this year. So they better make due with what they have. I get your rant but what in God's green earth do you suggest anybody do with the O-line? It's that point of the season that teams define who they are. This IS the Packers O-line, like it or not and they will win with it.
When teams have to honor the chance at defending the run, more than just once in a while, the field opens up a little bit more for big plays. If we can't hold our own at the line, the team will continue to struggle. Look at some of the D- lines coming up on the schedule, Man they have to straighten this out!
It's not like D-lines got any stronger this year. The Packers have to execute on both sides of the ball. Several dropped INTs this year could have made all the difference in the world.
Defensively, the team is not a whole lot better than last years version. Maybe slightly better against the run, but the pass defense is still a very iffy concern. A bad scheme and shotty tackling still exists for this unit.
Not a whole lot better but better right? Lots of rookies making contributions. That's unnatural in the NFL game. You expect your #1 and 2 to get playing time but beyond that it's all a plus. Perry is moving unnaturally from a down lineman to an up LB, Worthy has had his moments but the secondary is only going to get much better as the season progresses. Tackling isn't shoddy at all, I think they've improved 100% and what is wrong with the scheme?
How good is the 49ers D compared to ours? Worlds apart! When a D cant get off the field or make a big stop in a key spot of the game, { not many takeaways this year } it makes it a lot harder to win any game. The D game plan is not ideally suited to the players we have because i dont think they are as good as we thought they were.
The D has had its chances at INTs but they are not catching them this year. They'll come. The D game plan is completely and totally tailored to the players and they are every bit as good as I ever expected them to be. Maybe you thought more of them but again, many rookies making contributions. I'm stunned to think they are not well manned defensively. Lots to learn for players in their first season as NFL players and lots to learn if you're going from a DE to OLB. Give these guys a chance man.
The overall personnel is lesser than many other Defenses. Clay is the only game changer for us and man, does he work his tail off for any success he achieves. Come on D! Step up and play with some kind of attitude to be deemed worthy of being a unit the team can count on. The Pack will be in deep **** { maybe .500 } if things dont start melding soon. As sports fans we think we know almost as much as coaches and coordinators but, it can be maddening when your team does not play up to their potential. May God bless this team with good health and better chemistry!
The argument can be made that their personnel match up against anybody but a few of them are rookies. This is a defense that is young, faster and talented. It's just crazy to expect them to be world-class at this stage of the season. Give 'em a chance, they need to learn the NFL game first hand and will only get better as the season progresses.
I welcome you to come back here next year and admit that they have just built a really good defense. Did anybody think going from worst to first would happen this year? I'm not blasting you cristo, but where exactly did you think they would go from the worst defense in history into a dominating one? Personally I"m pleased with the progress and will enjoy watching them mature and begin domination before the season is over. If not, well, there's the draft and next year but they definitely did it right this year.
But watch for my posts after they defeat the undefeated Texans next week.

christofolo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They do have a running game. They will continue to have a running game if Starks is healthy. It's not a running game kind of team. It's impossible, yes, impossible to expect the Packers to become a running team this year. So they better make due with what they have. I get your rant but what in God's green earth do you suggest anybody do with the O-line? It's that point of the season that teams define who they are. This IS the Packers O-line, like it or not and they will win with it.

It's not like D-lines got any stronger this year. The Packers have to execute on both sides of the ball. Several dropped INTs this year could have made all the difference in the world.

Not a whole lot better but better right? Lots of rookies making contributions. That's unnatural in the NFL game. You expect your #1 and 2 to get playing time but beyond that it's all a plus. Perry is moving unnaturally from a down lineman to an up LB, Worthy has had his moments but the secondary is only going to get much better as the season progresses. Tackling isn't shoddy at all, I think they've improved 100% and what is wrong with the scheme?

The D has had its chances at INTs but they are not catching them this year. They'll come. The D game plan is completely and totally tailored to the players and they are every bit as good as I ever expected them to be. Maybe you thought more of them but again, many rookies making contributions. I'm stunned to think they are not well manned defensively. Lots to learn for players in their first season as NFL players and lots to learn if you're going from a DE to OLB. Give these guys a chance man.

The argument can be made that their personnel match up against anybody but a few of them are rookies. This is a defense that is young, faster and talented. It's just crazy to expect them to be world-class at this stage of the season. Give 'em a chance, they need to learn the NFL game first hand and will only get better as the season progresses.
I welcome you to come back here next year and admit that they have just built a really good defense. Did anybody think going from worst to first would happen this year? I'm not blasting you cristo, but where exactly did you think they would go from the worst defense in history into a dominating one? Personally I"m pleased with the progress and will enjoy watching them mature and begin domination before the season is over. If not, well, there's the draft and next year but they definitely did it right this year.
But watch for my posts after they defeat the undefeated Texans next week.

Look at the jump the Texans made in 1 yr. on defense. In 2010 they were ranked 30th and last year they leaped to # 2. That is a significant improvement in my book. It just seems like opposing teams have a field day throwing against the Packers. Chewing up chunks of yardage with ease,at times, and controlling time of possession. A good defense doesnt allow it to look that easy as many times in a game, as Green Bay does. Especially when the game is on the line. For whatever reason they dont seem to be able to master any kind of zone type scheme { like say da Bears } in stopping the opponent when it really matters. That must improve if the guys we have are truly as good as they will need to be. Let them play more man or simplify the scheme so there is not as many mixups in coverage. Believe me, I will be elated to see them improve as the season unwinds and maybe show some moments of dominance. They should be better than what we have seen the last yr. and 1/2.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Look at the jump the Texans made in 1 yr. on defense. In 2010 they were ranked 30th and last year they leaped to # 2. That is a significant improvement in my book. It just seems like opposing teams have a field day throwing against the Packers. Chewing up chunks of yardage with ease,at times, and controlling time of possession. A good defense doesnt allow it to look that easy as many times in a game, as Green Bay does. Especially when the game is on the line. For whatever reason they dont seem to be able to master any kind of zone type scheme { like say da Bears } in stopping the opponent when it really matters. That must improve if the guys we have are truly as good as they will need to be. Let them play more man or simplify the scheme so there is not as many mixups in coverage. Believe me, I will be elated to see them improve as the season unwinds and maybe show some moments of dominance. They should be better than what we have seen the last yr. and 1/2.
Here's the thing Christo. you're using stats to establish the D. I don't know if that's fair.
This is a defense in the making. You should be able to recognize that. Most teams are elated if their first round pick contributes but the Packer are asking 3 or 4 to make a significant contribution which I think is unfair of anybody to expect yet they are. Amazingly they are!
This shouldn't happen yet it is. The offense is having their own troubles but without the defense they probably lose the game against Chicago and New Orleans as well. There is nothing wrong with the scheme the Packers are employing, they need the players to step up to the ball. Same with offense. Packers receivers are physical monsters, they should be handing the DBs their bottom. Don't know why they aren't.
Simplifying the scheme plays right into the O's hands. It's not the scheme as much as it's alot of young players playing key positions for it all to work. If we just had Desmond Bishop the whole D changes right?
I think they are better Christo, but it might take a good chunk of the season for them to prove it to you.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Is the OL much worse than last year? I don't think so. Remember Clifton was out for most of the season and when he returned he was so bad he was replaced. While IMO Bulaga has regressed some, Newhouse has certainly improved. Is the running game that much worse? As I posted on another thread: "I realize some Packers fans are stuck on the need for a stud RB but the evidence points away from that point of view IMO. For example, it is indisputable that James Starks was a good enough RB for the Packers to go on a late season run and win the title after the 2010 season. And it is indisputable that the tandem of Starks and Grant was good enough at the position to help the 2011 offense lead the team to a 15-1 record and an incredibly prolific offense.

Last year the Packers averaged 24.7 rushing attempts per game for a 3.9 yard/attempt average. This season so far they've averaged 22.2 attempts per game for a 4.3 yard/attempt average. While those numbers are close, I'd argue if the passing O was more proficient at moving the chains this season, the rushing attempts would be even closer to last year's average. IMO those harping on a lack of a running game - or running threat - are biased by their preconceptions because neither the stats nor my eyes see a major difference in the running game this season vs. the last two."

The Packers "hang their hat" on a dynamic and prolific passing game. From Rodgers' second season as a starter through last year it's been incredibly effective. I don't know how any serious fan could dispute that their passing game has been their greatest strength under McCarthy. Unless they can correct it so it is at least a semblance of its previous self, nothing else is going to matter IMO.

I think the defense is improved and because of its reliance on youngsters, I expect it to continue to improve as the season progresses. I think the defense is improved because I watched every play last season and this at least once. I think it's improved because last season it gave up 299.8 passing yards/game and this season 230 ypg. I think it's improved because I see more pressure being applied. Although it's not the "be all, end all" stat, last season the D averaged 1.8 sacks/game and this season 3.6 sacks/game. It gave up 4.4 plays/game of 20+ yards last year and 3.8 of those plays so far this year. Still too many but the trend is in the right direction. INTs are down by almost 1 per game and it's not because the Packers D hasn't gotten their hands on some - they just aren't holding on to 'em. The offense scored 12+ points per game more last season than this. Add those points and time of possession to this season and how does the defense look?

IMO Rodgers is part of the problem but I don’t think Rodgers IS the problem, I think the passing game is out of sync and that's the problem. And IMO there are several reasons for that.

christofolo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing Christo. you're using stats to establish the D. I don't know if that's fair.
This is a defense in the making. You should be able to recognize that. Most teams are elated if their first round pick contributes but the Packer are asking 3 or 4 to make a significant contribution which I think is unfair of anybody to expect yet they are. Amazingly they are!
This shouldn't happen yet it is. The offense is having their own troubles but without the defense they probably lose the game against Chicago and New Orleans as well. There is nothing wrong with the scheme the Packers are employing, they need the players to step up to the ball. Same with offense. Packers receivers are physical monsters, they should be handing the DBs their bottom. Don't know why they aren't.
Simplifying the scheme plays right into the O's hands. It's not the scheme as much as it's alot of young players playing key positions for it all to work. If we just had Desmond Bishop the whole D changes right?
I think they are better Christo, but it might take a good chunk of the season for them to prove it to you.

Double D you sure have a way of looking at the bright side of things. That is quite admirable. The point you make about integrating the younger players with the veterans is a work in progress and it will most likely take a chunk of the season to bear fruit. We can hope that it will in time be a strength of the team. It sure will be interesting these next few weeks to see if the Pack can right the ship and save their best ball for the end of the year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah!
Rodgers is a problem!
6????
Only 6 measly touchdowns?
6??
Just 6???
What on earth is wrong with the guy?
It should have been 20!!
No.
Wait.
I take that back.
30!!!
30 touchdowns!
Rodgers should have thrown for 30 touchdowns!
Anything less than that is really lousy and not good enough!
And he got sacked and THAT IS 100% ALL HIS FAULT!!!!
He sucks big time.
Bench...
No.
Wait.
Fire his butt along with Dom Capers!!!

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah!
Rodgers is a problem!
6????
Only 6 measly touchdowns?
6??
Just 6???
What on earth is wrong with the guy?
It should have been 20!!
No.
Wait.
I take that back.
30!!!
30 touchdowns!
Rodgers should have thrown for 30 touchdowns!
Anything less than that is really lousy!
He sucks big time.
Bench...
No.
Wait.
Fire his butt along with Dom Capers!!!

16 TDs in 6 games puts him on pace for just 43 TDs this season, a dropoff from his 45 TDs last year.

Rodgers isn't the same. What's wrong with him?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

16 TDs in 6 games puts him on pace for just 43 TDs this season, a dropoff from his 45 TDs last year.

Rodgers isn't the same. What's wrong with him?
Oh FFS what do you want man ?? He won the game !!! I wouldn`t care if he only threw 35 in a season as long as we got through to the playoffs.
If, as its reported, Rodgers had an attitude in the press conferences, lets hope he keeps that attitude all year. Sorry for my outburst.

12theTruth

The Packers clearly won the effort battle for the 2nd time this year. Talent + effort = wins

I think its normal to question at least to some extent Aaron Rodgers for the Packers offensive struggles through the first 5 games but to say that he was THE problem is way off base. Aaron was great last night and proved what many fans already knew he is an elite QB.

I can understand how some fans may however be rubbed the wrong way by his "Shhhh" comments last evening. He is the reining MVP, he should be ABOVE that type of reaction. Just my two cents.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do u still think Rodgers is the problem? U win as a team u lose as a team. Yes the QB usually gets more criticism when they lose & more credit when they win. There's no I in T.E.A.M

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts