Rodgers earns rave reviews Firday at Packers minicamp

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the Green Bay Press-Gazette by Dylan B. Tomlinson-Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers Saturday April 30, 2005 _____ "I didn't take rookie quarterback Aaron Rodgers long to impress his new coaches and Green Bay teamates on Friday morning. Rodgers was standing in the Don Hutson Center during his first practice as a member of the Packers when he began firing pass after pass to receivers during warmup drills. On each throw, Rodgers showed quick release and arm strength that is usually seen in Green Bay when Brett Farve is in Town. After several consecutive completions Tom Rossley's eyes got really big and he could not hide a smile. "He's better than I thought he would be and I thought he would be good." Rossley. "I'm very excited that we got him." "His arm strength is better than I anticipated." said Rossley. "He gets of the ball quickly. I don't think there is a pass he can't make." Packer's coach Mike Sherman also said Rodger' debut was a success. "I thought he had a good day for his first day out of the blocks." Sherman said. "He threw the ball well. Obviously, we have a long way to go to get him the knowledge of our offense. But I thought he stepped in and played well. Quarterback coach Darrell Bevel gave Rodgers a portion of the Packer's playbook when he was in town Sunday, but Rodgers said he was a bit overwelmed by his first real look at the offense. "I don't know anything." Rodgers said laughingly. "I know it's going to take some time." As sharp as Rodgers look throwing during drills, he struggled during team drills, which Rossley said was to be expected "When we put him into team, his mind was spinning." Rosley said. "It can be overwhelming to try to step into this offense on your first day of Practice. Rodgers didn't throw many passes during team drills , but receiver Donald Driver was impressed with what little he saw from Rodgers. "It was a chance for him to come out and show what he can do," Driver said . "So far, so good. The guy can play. he showed us that." unquote--- ---It is only the first day of mini camp, but it was positive news. We, Packer fans knew it was going to be a long process to become a Q.B. for the Green Bay Packers. The rookie is going to have to learn the Packer offense with it's huge playbook, it is not a simle offense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I was thinking, do you think they said those nice things to solidify their selecting him when they did instead of a defensive guy?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the posting PW - I hadn't had time to review....
One thing about the comments within it, though. As most usually have seen, I'm no Tom Rossley fan, by any stretch of the imagination. I've always felt he's kept his job 'cause he goes and plays golf with the Boss. ...Can't stand sucka$$'s, never could.

Rossley pretendin' he's overly impressed with a Rookie is a bit much for me.
Especially when he's gone out of his way to make it as hard as he can for Brett to be successful. I have every best hope for Aaron Rodgers, I really do - but if the same ol' Tom rossley is what we get this year again... then even if Brett's not in there - the game still suffers. And, hence, so will Rodgers! I do not remember ever seeing a report anywhere that had Rossley being "that" impressed with having Brett Favre in the fold. How can you NOT be impressed with a 3xMVP on your Team? Seriously!

The one thing about the reports this year versus reports from the previous couple of years - is a new sense of achievement and possible success waiting just around the corner... among the Players and its showing itself out there on the field - you guys feelin' that too as you read these reports? I know I am!

Members online

Latest posts