Rodgers and the haters

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year I asked Aikman about his favorite young QBs, if I remember correctly he didnt mention Rodgers

Maybe he didn't think of Rodgers as young. Because I vividly remember those postgame comments, and Aikman was raving, calling Rodgers' performances "amazing" and "out of this world".

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is off topic but something just rubs me the wrong way about Aikman. I don't know if it is that he thinks he was a better pro than he was or the fact he is as smug as they come. I wasn't a Packer fan when we were losing to the Cowboys in the mid 90s so it isn't blind hate. I just don't like the guy.

/Meh.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
This is off topic but something just rubs me the wrong way about Aikman. I don't know if it is that he thinks he was a better pro than he was or the fact he is as smug as they come. I wasn't a Packer fan when we were losing to the Cowboys in the mid 90s so it isn't blind hate. I just don't like the guy.

/Meh.
I know what you mean. I hated the guy when the Packers were losing to them back in the day. But he's a pretty good announcer. Put it this way, he is far more low key than Trent Dilfer and a giant leap away in talent ahead of Trent. I think he's a good judge of talent and obviously pretty knowledgeable about the game.
I don't see the arrogance you hinted at but then again, I didn't notice Jay Leno was reading from prompt cards until someone pointed it out.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Troy is my favorite fox announcer. He works hard at it, you can tell. Joe Buck comes across as smug imo. I dont blame artie lang lol

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he didn't think of Rodgers as young. Because I vividly remember those postgame comments, and Aikman was raving, calling Rodgers' performances "amazing" and "out of this world".

He was jockin Matt Ryan. I asked about Rodgers and I think he was like "oh I like him too. But wasnt one of the top 3 he listed. I agree, he is a fan now. I was a little peeved at him and the media in general for downplaying the talent of Rodgers, you could see it in the first season, but bc of the record no one wanted to give him credit for how well he played.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I hated the guy when the Packers were losing to them back in the day. But he's a pretty good announcer. Put it this way, he is far more low key than Trent Dilfer and a giant leap away in talent ahead of Trent. I think he's a good judge of talent and obviously pretty knowledgeable about the game.
I don't see the arrogance you hinted at but then again, I didn't notice Jay Leno was reading from prompt cards until someone pointed it out.

I pretty much agree with your take, I just think that he's not that knowledgeable about the game as a whole. He knows a lot about QB play and what goes with it, and he's very bright and judicious, but he's not a guy I listen to to get info on defensive play, or even RB play, like if a RB has vision, or what are his strenghts etc... I believe a lot of times Aikman just gives you the generical concept, like "in the 3-4 the DL don't have to be great at pass rush" and things like that.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with your take, I just think that he's not that knowledgeable about the game as a whole. He knows a lot about QB play and what goes with it, and he's very bright and judicious, but he's not a guy I listen to to get info on defensive play, or even RB play, like if a RB has vision, or what are his strenghts etc... I believe a lot of times Aikman just gives you the generical concept, like "in the 3-4 the DL don't have to be great at pass rush" and things like that.
Yes, I guess that's as accurate as you can say about him. You're right about that, he's not the best in-depth guy. I do however like his insight on QBs more than most others though. He does seem to have a grasp on the position and what makes a good signal caller.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Eh, people still won't say Starr was one of the greatest QB's either and he won 5 championships. Haters gonna hate, and the media is gonna hate Rodgers because he is too "clean", he handled the Favre transition greatly and moved on, some people just want drama.