Rodgers against top defenses

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How does Aaron Rodgers do if he's on the Patriots for his entire career? How does Brady do if he were a Packer? "Going against a third string quarterback Rodgers goes 2-11 on third down..." ignores the fact that third down conversions aren't all on the QB. Some here either won't agree or don't want to consider it, but Bill Belichick is ahead of his contemporaries by a wide margin. And that puts Brady at a significant advantage.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is only an impression, and maybe completely inaccurate because of the lack of facts and knowledge.
But I get the impression sometimes- like last Sunday- that Rodgers can be rattled and frustrated, sometimes too quickly and easily.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does Aaron Rodgers do if he's on the Patriots for his entire career? How does Brady do if he were a Packer? "Going against a third string quarterback Rodgers goes 2-11 on third down..." ignores the fact that third down conversions aren't all on the QB. Some here either won't agree or don't want to consider it, but Bill Belichick is ahead of his contemporaries by a wide margin. And that puts Brady at a significant advantage.

I believe Rodgers and Brady end up doing fine just about anywhere. As my Dad used to say,"Great is great."

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True, and I do agree agree with you on the Belichick, but I will say... There is much more information out there and teammates supporting Tom Brady's work ethic than you hear about Rodgers. It could be just Boston media, or maybe the type of players the patriots have.

Isn't it somewhat odd you never hear anything about Rodgers putting in extra time? Or maybe I just miss it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a really good point... One question I always wondered and without giving my opinion.

What do you think about Rodgers as a leader especially in these big games or when you know the team has hit adversity? Obviously we can only judge what we see on the field.
Lots of ways to lead. Some are in the moment and great, some are great in the preparation and in staying in the moment. I think Rodgers leads this team. Not in a way Favre led the team, but in the way that is still very much leadership and important. There are a lot of ways to lead a team, a lot of ways to coach a team, a lot of ways to motivate players, a lot of ways to win and lose in this league. I think Rodgers is as fine of a qb and leader as any team could hope for.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This is only an impression, and maybe completely inaccurate because of the lack of facts and knowledge.
But I get the impression sometimes- like last Sunday- that Rodgers can be rattled and frustrated, sometimes too quickly and easily.

You know. Last week was the first game I can remember where I thought Rodgers had a very bad case of "happy feet".

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of ways to lead. Some are in the moment and great, some are great in the preparation and in staying in the moment. I think Rodgers leads this team. Not in a way Favre led the team, but in the way that is still very much leadership and important. There are a lot of ways to lead a team, a lot of ways to coach a team, a lot of ways to motivate players, a lot of ways to win and lose in this league. I think Rodgers is as fine of a qb and leader as any team could hope for.

See this could be just me, but it seems like he gets to a point in some games and he is just frustrated by everyone elses mistakes. Offensive line, wide receivers, or running backs not hitting the right hole. This wouldn't bother me if he was playing incredible and making all the throws, but he is part of the problem.

I guess I was always taught to lead by example and you are right there are other ways to lead. So perhaps this is just my perception. It just feels like sometimes I can tell things are going downhill fast and will not come back just by his expressions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know. Last week was the first game I can remember where I thought Rodgers had a very bad case of "happy feet".
I think he usually has "happy feet" and it serves him well. There's almost always pressure coming from somewhere with this line. This time it wasn't just from the right or left, it was in his face and every escape lane he usually had, was filled, so his happy feet got a little more happy. I don't think they're the happy feet in the traditional sense though, he just always keeps them moving. And with this overrated line, it's served him well over the years.

and back to overcoming adversity, I think this team has been slammed with a lot of adversity, especially in the way of injuries over the last few years (minus last year) and where many teams would have withered, we did not, winning a super bowl as the most injured team in the history of the league one year. I'd call that overcoming adversity.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I believe Rodgers and Brady end up doing fine just about anywhere. As my Dad used to say,"Great is great."
"Doing fine" isn't the point. Obviously both are great QBs. But when someone compares Brady and Rodgers the teams they've played on during their careers IMO is an important factor to consider. While the Packers have been consistent contenders since Rodgers took over at QB (and before), Belichick's Patriots have been the gold standard. Again, that's a significant advantage for Brady.

I have never read a complaint about Rodgers work ethic and as far as that and leadership goes, he's miles ahead of his predecessor. During games I do wish he'd keep a more positive attitude when things aren't going well.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Doing fine" isn't the point. Obviously both are great QBs. But when someone compares Brady and Rodgers the teams they've played on during their careers IMO is an important factor to consider. While the Packers have been consistent contenders since Rodgers took over at QB (and before), Belichick's Patriots have been the gold standard. Again, that's a significant advantage for Brady.

I have never read a complaint about Rodgers work ethic and as far as that and leadership goes, he's miles ahead of his predecessor. During games I do wish he'd keep a more positive attitude when things aren't going well.

Well, Jack it's my point; tyhe whole point, and it ends there. If you want to expand on it, fine.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not at all, TJV (apologies for "Jack"). I just don't care for posters who add onto things I've posted to denigrate what I posted, not that I believe that was your intent. My point was simply what I posted. I understood yours just fine.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While Belichick is great (can't refute that in any way), there is something to be said about Brady... His performance when it matters the most against the toughest competition. Players make plays. Not coaches.

If you look at the tape vs Broncos, Rodgers missed plenty of open looks, threw passes off target, went the wrong way in the pocket. Wide receivers didn't make it easy to find them as they weren't getting separation when they needed, first look was not open far too much. The defense got torched and run over.

No scheme should have Aaron with 77 yards in a game. Back in high school you could run 32 dive every play and gain yards and win by 50. If your team plays superior the "scheme" means nothing. The same can not be said for superior scheme and subpar players. Can you get a lucky extra possession sure. But talent and players will always beat a good scheme.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If you look at the tape vs Broncos...
But you're using a game that is either Rodgers' worst, or it's in the top two or three. How about comparing it to Brady's worst game?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I'd vote for Sunday as being Rodgers worst game without hesitation.
Can't give a complete opinion on Brady's worst, but the playoff game vs Denver and the '07 season's Super Bowl vs the Giants stick out.
In both games he was under relentless pressure and getting knocked around pretty good.
Kind of like Rodgers Sunday.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you're using a game that is either Rodgers' worst, or it's in the top two or three. How about comparing it to Brady's worst game?

Actually it's not, not even top 5. 3rd worse since 2013. But not ever.

Buffalo debacle is was insane 17-42 0 TD 2 INTS. Easily his worst game of all time that he played the whole game.

And he wasn't that horrible in Denver, 14-22 for 77 0 td's 0 int's. Basically an Alex Smith line. Didn't throw that much, no big mistakes. 22 passes 21 runs. And there in lies the problem. You are down by 17, take a chance... WTF is going to happen lose by more? OHHH NO. At least give your players a chance to make plays. The way they played they should have just surrendered after 3 quarters. Ehh we lost boys lets call it a day.

Top 10 worst games.

2014 @ BUF
2008 @ TAM
2009 @ TAM
2010 @ NYJ
2008 @ NOR
2013 @ CIN
2015 @ DEN
2008 @ MIN
2010 @ PHI
2010 @ WAS

Anyone see a common denominator?

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
(First Post!)
I actually attended the Game in Denver. I feel like after reading the the Sports Illustrated story on Rodgers it helps you get to know him a lot more. I honestly feel like he might be too much of perfectionist. Which by no means is a bad thing. But sometimes risks gotta be taken. Not stupid ones, but calculated. I do blame the scheme and not being aggressive enough.
I remember there being a moment when there was like 7 mins left in the 4th, and they were about at their own 40. And they punted the ball. We were down by 3 possessions our defense was not stopping the Broncos offense at all...I knew for a fact they were gonna go for it and simply didnt. I was actually shocked by the decision.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Actually it's not, not even top 5. 3rd worse since 2013. But not ever.

Buffalo debacle is was insane 17-42 0 TD 2 INTS. Easily his worst game of all time that he played the whole game.

And he wasn't that horrible in Denver, 14-22 for 77 0 td's 0 int's. Basically an Alex Smith line. Didn't throw that much, no big mistakes. 22 passes 21 runs. And there in lies the problem. You are down by 17, take a chance... WTF is going to happen lose by more? OHHH NO. At least give your players a chance to make plays. The way they played they should have just surrendered after 3 quarters. Ehh we lost boys lets call it a day.

Top 10 worst games.

2014 @ BUF
2008 @ TAM
2009 @ TAM
2010 @ NYJ
2008 @ NOR
2013 @ CIN
2015 @ DEN
2008 @ MIN
2010 @ PHI
2010 @ WAS

Anyone see a common denominator?

"@"

Reaction score
One thing that I remember Favre doing consistently against fast D fronts was the short slant routes to Driver etc.. For 5 yards plus the 1-2 YAC as he was drug down. Going further back, We also utilized guys like Dorsey with the power screens etc..
A big key to successful production on O is keeping their D on the field and wearing the bigger guys down with fast consecutive high probability throws in the 5 yard range. Those involve receivers that can get YAC like Driver used to do with his stiff arm and like TEs can do with their momentum.
I think we should utilize our TEs more and also our RB more in the short passing game. It's becoming more obvious to me how a dominant TE can change field position and we lack that.
In 2014 Camp their was an emphasis on using Lacy as a receiver more, he was like sticky hands, Lacy responded by plowing guys over and spinning off them for many 6-8 yard gains setting us up for 2nd n short, but in 2015 his role as a receiver has been diminished and more often than not he's being contacted in the backfield on runs in the A,B gaps.
We also have been in 3rd n short (2yds) during several games this year and then thrown 15-20 yards incomplete. That's generally lower probability stuff that kills drives rather than a higher probability pass to a RB for 3 yards. We need to do a better job being patient and increasing an array of short yardage options that focus on moving the chains, the points will take care of themselves.
They say that a running game opens the passing game. I would argue to venture that, with an accurate QB like Aaron, the reverse holds true. We have the time and at 6-1 we can afford to explore some different strategies and right this ship before it hits an iceberg. I actually feel good about getting some guys back like Davante, Ty and Quarless in the near future and its more about peaking going into the playoffs than it is about our record. It would be nice to play in Lambeau, yes, but I'll trade that for our Offense putting up 27-30 pts per game going into post season

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that I remember Favre doing consistently against fast D fronts was the short slant routes to Driver etc.. For 5 yards plus the 1-2 YAC as he was drug down. Going further back, We also utilized guys like Dorsey with the power screens etc..
A big key to successful production on O is keeping their D on the field and wearing the bigger guys down with high fast consecutive high probability throws in the 3-5 yard range. Those involve receivers that can get YAC like Driver used to do with his stiff arm and like TEs can do with their momentum.
I think we should utilize our TEs more and also our RB more in the short passing game. It's becoming more obvious to me how a dominant TE can change field position and we lack that.
In 2014 Camp their was an emphasis on using Lacy as a receiver more, he was like sticky hands, Lacy responded by plowing guys over and spinning off them for many 6-8 yard gains setting us up for 2nd n short, but in 2015 his role as a receiver has been diminished.
We also have been in 3rd n short (2yds) during several games this year and then thrown 15-20 yards incomplete. That's generally lower probability stuff that kills drives rather than implementing a pass to a RB for 3 yards. We need to do a better job being patient and increasing an array of short yardage options that focus on moving the chains, the points will take care of themselves.
They say that a running game opens the passing game. I would argue to venture that, with an accurate QB like Aaron, the reverse holds true.
I think we have a great receiving Corp for the quick slant routes-Adams, Montgomery, and Cobb all prove to be tough after the catch, with the former 2 having big frames for WRs.

But as far as beating man-coverage-it won't happen. At least when Rodgers has no time with his paper mache offense line.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have a great receiving Corp for the quick slant routes-Adams, Montgomery, and Cobb all prove to be tough after the catch, with the former 2 having big frames for WRs.

But as far as beating man-coverage-it won't happen. At least when Rodgers has no time with his paper mache offense line.

I don't agree with this... Have you been watching the Patriots? What are they on 3 or 4 string left tackle. Two rookies. Brady got sacked like 5 times in the first half at dallas. They fixed it and it didn't happen again in the second half.

Rodgers has always looked over his checkdowns, if i remember right deon lewis had a game with like 9 catches. Rodgers refuses to that.

The Pats offensive line is not better than the Packers, their wide receivers are not better than the Packers. It's their quarterback that is making better decisions than the packers.

Didn't Brady recently have a game where his receivers dropped like 13+ passes and they won. DAMN.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with this... Have you been watching the Patriots? What are they on 3 or 4 string left tackle. Two rookies. Brady got sacked like 5 times in the first half at dallas. They fixed it and it didn't happen again in the second half.

Rodgers has always looked over his checkdowns, if i remember right deon lewis had a game with like 9 catches. Rodgers refuses to that.

The Pats offensive line is not better than the Packers, their wide receivers are not better than the Packers. It's their quarterback that is making better decisions than the packers.

Didn't Brady recently have a game where his receivers dropped like 13+ passes and they won. DAMN.
Yet somehow Rodgers and the Packers beat them last year. Not that regular season matchups mean much considering both teams ultimate result last year. Let's see what happens come playoff time.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet somehow Rodgers and the Packers beat them last year. Not that regular season matchups mean much considering both teams ultimate result last year. Let's see what happens come playoff time.

Which one won the super bowl and which one **** the bed in the playoffs once again?

vs Seattle in the playoffs... About as equal as a comparison can be given only 2 weeks apart.

Brady -

37-50 328 yards 4TD 2INT

Rodgers-
19-34 178 yards 1TD 2INT (This is just plain sad playoff line for the MVP)

Packers got 5 turnovers and still couldn't put up a win. And people somehow blame a backup TE on a onside kick. Maybe we should take a closer look at the 20 million dollar man. Packers should have scored 45+ points that game. That game is 100 percent on Rodgers.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rodgers... But I hate how people come to his defense when really there is nothing to defend. One good run, yes it was awesome... but the fact remains the DEFENSE held two of those 4 wins. Picks by Tramon in Philly or we lose cause we stopped scoring. And in Chicago We didn't score after 12 minutes left in the second quarter on offense. 42 scoreless minutes by the offense to end that game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lack of a killer instinct on the two trips to the one yard line and late in the game didn't help, either.

Members online

Latest posts