Richard Rogers now the starting TE

PackersBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was reading this fantasy advice article today and it mentioned that Richard Rogers is now the starting TE for the Packers. This is kind of a big deal, since he haven't had a good passing catching TE in awhile and Rogers could be it. If he didn't win the job this year I'd be worried about his development, so this is a good step in my opinion. Do you guys think he will make an impact?

Mike peterson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I believe he is going to have a breakout year! He has great hands and is a big body out there with Huge upside. I've never been that impressed with Q he drops to many balls even though he has made some nice grabs as well. He is just too incisistent IMO. We need someone like RR to help improve out TD's in the red zone TY

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I believe he is going to have a breakout year! He has great hands and is a big body out there with Huge upside. I've never been that impressed with Q he drops to many balls even though he has made some nice grabs as well. He is just too incisistent IMO. We need someone like RR to help improve out TD's in the red zone TY
Q is a journeyman. A decent 2nd TE. No more. I believe ARod has said RR has the best hands on the team. Keep Ripkowski in as a blocker and send RR underneath where the great TEs make great plays. He still has to prove he can be that guy though. When it comes to TEs, the Packers might as well give it a try.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was reading this fantasy advice article today and it mentioned that Richard Rogers is now the starting TE for the Packers. This is kind of a big deal, since he haven't had a good passing catching TE in awhile and Rogers could be it. If he didn't win the job this year I'd be worried about his development, so this is a good step in my opinion. Do you guys think he will make an impact?

McCarthy praised Richard Rodgers during yesterday's press conference and told reporters that at the moment he's way above everyone else at the position. With all the other weapons on the Packers offense I don't expect him to put huge numbers though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need another TE in goal line situations like Bubba Franks. Maybe he will be the guy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should be the starter. He showed me good hands last year. I've heard his blocking needs improving and that is very important for a tight end. He has the lower body strength to be effective.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised to see him have a fair amount of TDs and a low amount of catches

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Rodgers will never be the seam-stretching TE Finley was but he doesn't have to be. I do think he has to improve his blocking which becomes much more important in the red zone. He says he was playing at 275 pounds as a sophomore when Cal switched to a spread offense and he was told to lose 30 pounds. He did and I'm sure the spread helped his receiving skills but he wasn't a traditional TE as a junior. He gained some weight back before joining the Packers and is currently listed at 257. He's no doubt gained strength since being drafted and he seems to be a smart and dedicated player so I think it's likely his blocking will improve. I think he's got a good shot to be the starting TE for the foreseeable future.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Chumura

Understanding that one can do anything with numbers, I'd say that this list can be lengthened to include all of the TEs that have played a lot of games for the Pack - yes, Donald Lee, Ed West, etc. By that, I mean that nobody had more than a couple, maybe three, years in which their total/TD catch ratio was anything outstanding.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that RR needs to be effective in the red zone. The Packers really need a consistent threat in red zone situations.

H

HardRightEdge

With Quarless likely heading for a multi-game suspension, Rodgers is clearly the week 1 starting TE.

Given that the guys behind Rodgers and Quarless have not made statements, it's a fair bet Rodgers will get a lot of snaps particularly when Quarless is absent. Perillo looks serviceable; now he has a concussion so we'll see where that goes.

Rodgers is a good-hands guy and looks to be running decent routes. He looks a bit faster than his Combine/Pro Day times of 4.87/4.82 times at 254 lbs., but not by much...put him down for 4.75-equivalent field speed. He's not going to be running away from linebackers. Quarless is noticeably faster and the better athlete. Rodgers is a more natural receiver, has better hands, and looks to be a savvier route runner.

Given the Packers high percentage of 3-wide sets, Lacy's emergence as a receiver last season (42 catches, and Rodgers predilection for taking the downfield throw over the underneath routes, I'd expect Rodgers' production to be muted. It's not generally appreciated outside of Packerland that this offense runs a relatively balanced attack. The Packers ranked 20th. and 18th. in pass attempts in 2014 and 2013, respectively, since Lacy's arrival

Quarless and Rodgers combined for 49 catches, 548 yds, 5 TDs. It's hard to see where the TEs will be getting many more opportunities than that this season.

I would say 35 catches, 420 yds., 5 TDs would be a decent year for Rodgers. I think you'd find most Packer loyalists are not looking for high catch/yards productivity...the need from his is red zone productivity, an area of the field where the Packers struggled last season particularly against the better defenses.

If I engaged in the world of fantasy football (which I do not) as opposed to real football, wouldn't one be looking at receivers and TEs in the pass-happy offenses of recent years in Indy, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Pittsburgh. Or how about a TE in a high throw frequency/ball control passing offense like Mychal Rivera in Oakland, who I suppose would be a fantasy bargain if that's what you're looking for.

A cautionary note on Rodgers or any Packer TE. Given the fact they are far from featured receivers, run blocking ability comes more to the forefront. Rodgers needs to improve. I noticed in this last preseason game he looked decent blocking in-line against the man right in front of him on the couple of times I took note of it. But on the move down the line or into the second level, he has to step it up. Earlier I described his technique on the move as "casual". For anybody who has access to the replay, check out Rodgers block on Lacy's 15 yard run at 11:15 of the first quarter. This is not atyptical. I can't say I noted Rodgers-as-H-back run blocking out of the backfield against NE, but he was not very good at it last season. That will bear watching as we move through the preseason.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am excited about Richard this season. He seems to be the kind of guy that come the end of his career will have put up some sneaky good numbers. I think realistic expectations are somewhere around 50-60 catches, 475-600 yards and 6-8 TD's. When you consider the other play-makers on this team those numbers should be pretty solid. Third down and RZ is where he is going to earn his paycheck and I think he is built perfectly for doing just that. RR is certainly not a burner but he isn't a complete stiff either. He has a basketball background which helps him jockey for leverage and positioning on contested balls. His hands are world class and that's not coming from me rather AR who said he may have the best hands on the team. The kid just seems to be a good ball player and should provide a nice, consistent source of catches and TD's for years to come. Just because something isn't flashy doesn't mean it won't get the job done! Do your thing 89, do your thing! G P G!!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He showed last year that he can make clutch catches when called upon, and that's what the best teams need to advance. As HRE noted, there really is no competition below Rodgers but I think he'd be the starter even without Quarless heading for suspension and the other guys not producing much. Funny how we never hear talk about Colt Lyerla anymore. That guy got a lot of UDFA hype but turned out to be what we all thought he was....a headcase.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he's caught ARod's fancy and that's not easy to do. I don't think he'll be as good as Finley, but way better than what GB has had at TE since Finley left. If he does have a rockstar season, there are no weak spots on that offense. I expect the Pack to put up a lot of points, and hopefully keeping the pedal to the floor for 60 minutes.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He showed last year that he can make clutch catches when called upon, and that's what the best teams need to advance. As HRE noted, there really is no competition below Rodgers but I think he'd be the starter even without Quarless heading for suspension and the other guys not producing much. Funny how we never hear talk about Colt Lyerla anymore. That guy got a lot of UDFA hype but turned out to be what we all thought he was....a headcase.
Yeah I'm surprised TT even brought Lyerla in. Lyerla was a good example of a bad example. Hope he gets help or he won't make it to 30, and that would be a tragedy. Addiction is an unforgiving mother. Ask Aldon Smith.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna see more Rodgers 2 Rodgers TDs :tup::rolleyes::D
Ask and it shall be given. I think that out of the second year players RR will make the most noticeable improvement. He's still a bit of an unknown and that should help him early. Plus, with an offense like this, the defense can't cover everyone. So while there will be focus on the WRs and Lacy, Rodgers could easily be a threat, or at least a regular check down option for the other "Rodgers".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With Quarless likely heading for a multi-game suspension, Rodgers is clearly the week 1 starting TE.

Given that the guys behind Rodgers and Quarless have not made statements, it's a fair bet Rodgers will get a lot of snaps particularly when Quarless is absent. Perillo looks serviceable; now he has a concussion so we'll see where that goes.

Rodgers is a good-hands guy and looks to be running decent routes. He looks a bit faster than his Combine/Pro Day times of 4.87/4.82 times at 254 lbs., but not by much...put him down for 4.75-equivalent field speed. He's not going to be running away from linebackers. Quarless is noticeably faster and the better athlete. Rodgers is a more natural receiver, has better hands, and looks to be a savvier route runner.

Given the Packers high percentage of 3-wide sets, Lacy's emergence as a receiver last season (42 catches, and Rodgers predilection for taking the downfield throw over the underneath routes, I'd expect Rodgers' production to be muted. It's not generally appreciated outside of Packerland that this offense runs a relatively balanced attack. The Packers ranked 20th. and 18th. in pass attempts in 2014 and 2013, respectively, since Lacy's arrival

Quarless and Rodgers combined for 49 catches, 548 yds, 5 TDs. It's hard to see where the TEs will be getting many more opportunities than that this season.

I would say 35 catches, 420 yds., 5 TDs would be a decent year for Rodgers. I think you'd find most Packer loyalists are not looking for high catch/yards productivity...the need from his is red zone productivity, an area of the field where the Packers struggled last season particularly against the better defenses.

If I engaged in the world of fantasy football (which I do not) as opposed to real football, wouldn't one be looking at receivers and TEs in the pass-happy offenses of recent years in Indy, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Pittsburgh. Or how about a TE in a high throw frequency/ball control passing offense like Mychal Rivera in Oakland, who I suppose would be a fantasy bargain if that's what you're looking for.

A cautionary note on Rodgers or any Packer TE. Given the fact they are far from featured receivers, run blocking ability comes more to the forefront. Rodgers needs to improve. I noticed in this last preseason game he looked decent blocking in-line against the man right in front of him on the couple of times I took note of it. But on the move down the line or into the second level, he has to step it up. Earlier I described his technique on the move as "casual". For anybody who has access to the replay, check out Rodgers block on Lacy's 15 yard run at 11:15 of the first quarter. This is not atyptical. I can't say I noted Rodgers-as-H-back run blocking out of the backfield against NE, but he was not very good at it last season. That will bear watching as we move through the preseason.
If he's a savvy route runner, he's got enough speed to get separation from 90% of NFL linebackers most of the time and that is what we need. AR will find him often enough imo that by the middle of the season, DC's will seek alternative ways of covering him. He's going to be another troublesome weapon for opposing defenses.

His blocking should improve as the season progresses. He needs time and coaching. We have both. We're loaded!

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed that Rodgers and Rodgers were hanging out together at the PGA Championship last week (there were a couple O-linemen with them, too). But I took that as maybe they're developing chemistry with each other.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy praised Richard Rodgers during yesterday's press conference and told reporters that at the moment he's way above everyone else at the position. With all the other weapons on the Packers offense I don't expect him to put huge numbers though.
I guess TE is the "weakest" spot on this offense. And in this case " weakest" is relative. It would be great if RR makes a significant improvement this year. But yeah with so much talent everywhere else he may not get as many chances.

But he has great hands and played well for a rookie. If defenses overload on Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Lacy RR will be a good check down alternative. It will be hard for opposing defenses to scheme against this offense. Should be fun to watch.

H

HardRightEdge

I noticed that Rodgers and Rodgers were hanging out together at the PGA Championship last week (there were a couple O-linemen with them, too). But I took that as maybe they're developing chemistry with each other.
I take it to mean these players share Rodgers' enthusiasm for golf.

Dee Power

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more offensive ammunition we have the better. I think Rogers to Rodgers will be a common call this season.

Members online

Latest posts