1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Report: Packers told body of Michael Philbin has been identified

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Mr. StyleZ, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Not really my place to judge him I guess. Feel terrible for the parents and siblings. The 5 other siblings will never be able to replace losing the oldest brother.

I support Philbin taking as much time as he needs to deal with this. God, Family, Packers. In that order.

• Like Like x 2
  2. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    Me neither and won't even try...because a long, long time ago...I was a horny 17 year old high school boy who did all right in sports and went to enough parties to know how things are...particularly when Dad finds out what his 16 year old princess did while 3/4 drunk and 1/4 stoned ... I learned a long time ago that things as framed up by highly qualified prosecutor with the DA's office isn't exactly square with what really went on and won't even try to guess or judge because if today's legal mentality were prevalent in the mid-to-late 70's, I'd probably be on one of those damned lists.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    So you're saying it is, in fact, a distraction to the team?

4. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +678
    I don't know how it couldn't be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Prayers sent out by me.

I hope the team wants to win for him now. I hope the opposite happens of the 2005 Colts when Tony Dungy's son shockingly took his own life near the end of the season. Dungy was the team leader and I felt the team mourned with him to the point they became flat.

6. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    My response to this post is, "wow". I myself have been on the receiving end of similar abuse and at a similar age. I'm now 52 and have learned to deal with it. As far as my perp, I think of him as an idiot kid who didn't know better or made a mistake or, whatever. Either way, I've learned to deal with it and moved on as the other girls will do. Again, not condoning the action of MP years ago.
    These are two separate tragedies with completely different effects. The tragedy 2 (or 3) years ago left emotional scars that can be coped with. The tragedy today took a young life and left an innocent family with an irreplaceable void.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Texas9erFan

Texas9erFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +103
    I just saw word of this on the ticker watching the BCSNC game. My condolences to coach Philbin and his family. Terrible news. :(

8. spcdlee02

spcdlee02 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    Bronco fan here. Just wanted to come here and let everyone know that we on the Bronco forums are saying a prayer for Coach Philbin and his family. We all cheer our own teams, but we are one NFL family.

• Like Like x 10
  9. FearThePack

FearThePack 13x World Champs!

Ratings:
    +44
    Wow, thoughts go out to the Philbin family and friends. Can't imagine what this is like.

10. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187
    My heart goes out to the Philbin family. It's terrible enough to endure the despair of losing a loved one, and to lose a son... can't imagine how devastating that would be for Joe and his wife. Here's hoping for a Packer rally on Sunday for the entire Philbin family.

11. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    My prayers and thoughts are of his family.

12. Zen

Zen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    This is just tragic. My thoughts are with the family. when our local sportscaster Mike Francesca broke what little information was trickling out, i just hung my head. I can't imagine what this is like for the Philbin family.

13. GVN2FLY

GVN2FLY Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    :( Prayers go out to the Philbin family. This is just awful.

14. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +678
    FWIW, from Jason Wilde's column on this topic:

"Michael Philbin had been reported missing Sunday night, having not been heard from since about 2 a.m. Sunday morning. A dean’s list student at Ripon College, he had gone to Oshkosh for the weekend to visit friends. In 2009, he was sentenced to six months in jail and 2 1/2 years of probation for having non-consensual sex with two girls at a party he threw while his parents were out of town, but the convictions were removed from his record after he successfully completed probation."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    This could be something that our guys should want to win the game for. Play for Philbin, win for the guy that just lost his boy, and dedicate it to him, give him the game ball.

16. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +515
    Yeah but that can kind of backfire. Playing for someone who just experienced a tragic death and saying that you're going to win for them has a way of putting people off because it makes it look like the game outcome is more important than a life. I know you're not saying that but there's always that danger.

Sometime it's just better to let the family mourn.

17. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I recall Favre and the team's performance in the '03 Monday night game against the Raiders. Sometimes, out of sorrow, comes strength.

• Like Like x 1
  18. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30
    ehh... maybe to Philbin himself but I doubt the players were that close to the kid to be that personally effected. I see extra motivation if anything

19. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30
    absolutely

• Like Like x 1
  20. Purplepeopleeater

Purplepeopleeater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +39
    Parents should never have to bury their children. It makes life pretty unbearable when it happens. Here's a Vikings fan sending his thoughts and prayers out to the Philbin family and all you Cheeseheads. Football takes a backseat to this kind of thing, no matter how rabid a fan you are.

• Like Like x 4
  21. ozbuc

ozbuc Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    Condolences to the fami9ly.

• Like Like x 1
  22. The Real Pack Attack

The Real Pack Attack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    I really don't care what kind of troubled past the young man had. This news is just horrible. No parent should ever have to bury their kids.
    This one hit home with me. I have a son who is a sophomore in college up in Oshkosh. Believe me no kid is perfect. Go home tonight and hug your kids, tell them you love them because you never know................

• Like Like x 3
  23. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,966
    Some of you posting in this thread should read this..

There were a few others echoing that comment as well...

It was pointed out to me a few minutes ago that some here have acted like it was a good thing he passed away..I wish I would have seen it sooner..

I am really ASHAMED on how some Packer fans have reacted to this..

Some have pointed out he did his time and took responsibility for his actions, basically did his time and went on with his life...

What has he done since he served? Do you know? Has he volunteered at centers to help others? Has done anything to help repay the families he hurt? What if he has turned into a model person and was living life as perfect as he can because of his past..

You hate him for what he "did" fine...But please show some respect for his family that is really suffering at this point in time..

While I respect you have the right to your opinion on here, for now lets try to just focus on what his family is going through now..

I see any more comments about him and his past they will be deleted.

• Like Like x 2
  24. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    My heart and prayers go out to him!

25. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +678
    I don't know how things work elsewhere, but this Packer team really is like a family. They may not have known Michael well, but they know Joe and his wife.

Reporters yesterday said they've never seen Mike McCarthy so subdued. Our T.J. Lang, who just lost his father this past week, was fighting for this young man's reputation on Twitter last night.

Believe me, they care.

We'll see how it goes. Deepest condolences to the Philbins. I know the pain of losing a parent, and the pain of losing a sibling...but losing a child is on another level. I've seen my own parents go through it, and I don't know if there's anything tougher in life.