1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Report: Packers told body of Michael Philbin has been identified

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Mr. StyleZ, Jan 9, 2012.

1. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    Thoughts and prayers to the family.

2. Giantz4Life

Giantz4Life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    Terrible news...My condolences to Joe Philbin and his family.

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    True, it's not as bad as raping a young child like age 8 or 10, but it is very bad.
    I know of one punk who did a similar thing in my 3 years of going to a large high school, and that guy was an ******* & a jerk.
    Other guys thought about it, but it was rare to find one wicked enough to actually do it.

Of course, that was a decade or two ago. Maybe it's more common nowadays, not sure.
    Doesn't mean it isn't a terrible thing to do. It's certainly not just "kids being kids". Eugene Kane likes to use that one, on certain occasions that benefit him.

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Yes, just to clear up, his father went missing, but was later found in Hawaii.

I wish it were there same situation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings:
    +678
    I know a 50 year-old who did something similar to an intoxicated 16 year-old girl. His jail sentence was longer (and too short, imo), but perhaps that's why the age has some weight with me. I don't know the details of what happened with the Philbin boy aside from the basics, and I agree it's very bad - but I do think there are degrees of bad (the guy I know being worse - AND he was an attorney, now disbarred).

I also think a kid who does something like this has a more likely chance of learning a lesson than someone who rapes a young child...and my guess would be he has (or possibly had, in this case) a better chance of changing than the adult I know who did the same thing.

I hope no one is interpreting my nuance for excusing this behavior. It's definitely not that - but this is why the laws are structured the way they are - because all things of this nature are not the same.

6. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30
    I know im setting myself up to fail here

but what do u guys think of the LT situation lol

7. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +678
    Packer locker room closed.

Update: Tweets coming from Packers and their family members (B.J. Raji, Courtney Finley, etc.) sound like they know something, and it's bad. Packer media availability canceled for today.

8. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +47
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com

9. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    Terrible news, Prayers for Philbin's family.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Not condoning non-consensual sex but, I do not feel any less sympathetic for this family because this guy was a sex offender. The death of a child or loss of a young life is a tragedy either way. I'm not sure about any of you, but my history isn't lily white or without mistakes. Granted, he committed a terrible act and tainted someone else's life forever, but he served his time behind bars and will carry the title of " sex offender" for the rest of his life (which hopefully goes beyond today). If indeed it is this kid's body that was dragged out of the water, it could have been an accident, homicide, or an act of shame and unfathomable guilt for his past. The loss of this young life is a tragedy regardless of who it is or what he's done. Just as tragic as the act committed a couple of years ago against the young women. Tragedy all around. My heart goes out to the Philbin family.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    How else can I write this without seeming unsympathetic?

If the outcome is the worst, I just hope is doesn't distract the Packers on Sunday.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Just reported on NFLN that his body was found in a river. Terrible tragedy.

I just hope this doesn't distract us from going on there on Sunday and beating the Giants. If anything I hope it acts as a source for motivation

• Like Like x 1
  13. dantastic

dantastic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43
    Andrew Brandt just confirmed via Twitter.

"Talked with Packer employees and friends of Philbins. Body found in river was Michael Philbin's. So terribly sad."

Just horrible. :(

14. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    man... i can't take any more bad news. :(

15. News Bot

News Bot News Bot

Ratings:
    +47
    Source: ProFootballTalk.com

16. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I don't mean to seem insensitive and I do ask out of a genuine curiosity:
    Could this be karma?
    Or would he have drowned even if he hadn't raped those girls?
    (Apologies if I seem insensitive. That is not the intent of my question.)

17. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +678
    I don't really think you can. Our OC just pulled his (imperfect) kid out of a river - something my own parents once did - and I can tell you first-hand it is nothing short of devastating.

I don't think very many people involved in the actual game are worried about football today.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    If it does distract the packers, so be it.. Theres more to life then a football game. I think the packers will rally behind him, but this is just devastating news. It just shows that any day shouldnt be taken for granted, every day is blessing. Its depressing reading some of the packers tweets.

Lets go out and win for the Lang and the Philbin family.

19. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +678
    Please...don't.

20. UpstateNYGiantsFan

UpstateNYGiantsFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Heard something on the radio on my way home, and saw news on the Giants BBI that his body was identified. As a Giants' fan I have always respected the Packers, and was rooting for you in '07-'08, until we got there. This is awful news, and though there was some mention of indiscretions in his past, this is horrible. I pass my thoughts and feelings to the Philbons' and the Packers' organization.

21. PackwillBEback

PackwillBEback Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Unbelievable how you can defend someone who committed such a heinous act. How about those girls lives he destroyed?

My heart goes out to Joe ad his family and friends....absolutely sad. No parent should live to see their kid pass away. Nobody should suffer like his so did in a drowning. It isn't right...it is sad. It makes me sick when something like this happens. Life is definitely not fair.

But, I'm not going to shed a tear for Michael himself. There is no forgiving an act like that, ever. No excuses. 17 years old? Does not matter one bit. There is nothing worse (besides murder) than taking sexual advantage of a young woman. A 17 year old damn knows well what is right and wrong.

22. Brandon

Brandon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +106
    Unbelievable how you can defend someone who committed such a heinous act. How about those girls lives he destroyed?

At 17 years old not very many males make good decisions, for all we know this young man may have made amends. Also most girls at that age that go to parties and get wasted are already making bad decisions, and just setting themselves up to be sexually assaulted, probably disobeying Daddy's curfew and what have you.. very little sympathy for these types of rape victims some of the time. Not defending him or rape in any sense of the word, but to say this is karma is pretty ridiculous. The most blessed people experience tragedies, and the most despicable criminals can live luxuriously.. happens all the time.

I do wish Philbin and his family the best and hope that they will recover from this tragedy.

23. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Bad news, very bad. Don't know it's like to lose a son, but my thoughts are with him.

• Like Like x 1
  24. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    A parent's nightmare....and it doesn't matter how old the kid is....a parent's nightmare is burying a child. I haven't HAD that particular nightmare, I've had the "dream" though and have witnessed the parental nightmare on all too many occasions. I sincerely hope that you young folks use your heads at 2 a.m. -- stop and think about how your parents will be torn to pieces in the event of just such an outcome. My heart goes out to ANY parent who has to bury a child.

Incidentally...just got off the phone with a friend at the Oshkosh P.D. -- I live in Oshkosh -- yeah... bad news. Condolences to the Philbins.

• Like Like x 2
  25. LombardiChick

Ratings:
    +678
    This seems a terribly hyperbolic, hysterical response to my post. Did you happen to read anything else I said on this thread?

Do you know these girls? See, aside from their ages (roughly the same as his), I don't know anything at all about them - I can safely presume that they went to the party willingly, and drank in excess willingly. Beyond that, I can't draw any conclusions...and I certainly cannot conclude that they are so devastated by what happened that their lives have been "destroyed". If they were so drunk they passed out, it seems likely they have no memory of the event, and not as much trauma as the victim of a violent rape might experience...and would therefore be able to at least carry on.

If not, that's a tragedy too. But I don't know enough to conclude that. If you know them and can share, please do.