Report: Packers to dump Jermichael Finley

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am disappointed that it has come to this because Finley clearly has the natural talent to succeed at TE. It's worse this year because this is really a year where we are struggling on offense and could use his talents down the middle of the field.

I'm just glad we didn't give him a 5 year deal.

I'm sure Finley will hear this news, so I see about 3 different possibilities:

1) Finley will work very hard from here on out and be very productive in the late stretches of the season. He will know that especially if he is cut, he is going to need some positive film to appeal to other teams.

2) Finley will completely stop caring and be lazy on the field or worse, a clubhouse distraction. You wouldn't think this is likely since his financial future depends on his performance, but he hasn't proven to be all that bright so far.

3) Nothing much will really change.

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
look for scenarios 2 and 3. As you said, Finley isn't very bright and he can't break out unless Rodgers targets him.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be disappointing to let him go, but we cant continue to pay him what we do. I would be open to keeping him if his contract was a half or so of what it is. But as it stands, getting rid of him seems like the only option. Too bad because it feels like a lot of talent walking out the door, but potential is garbage unless you turn it into something.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got absolutely hammered on the forum for saying the team was better without him in 2010... Nice to see most fans come around and give up on the potential thing.

22nd ranked TE in the nfl? Sounds about right.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless will be back, that's great news. The Packers mainly use their tight ends for blocking anyway. I'd much rather have good blocking TEs than a guy who can't catch and can't block either.

Not sure I agree with that. TEs are a great way to defeat the cover-2, which has been used against the Packers all season. A TE who chip blocks the DE and then releases off the LOS and presents coverage problems for a LB is invaluable in this game, especially when you have 2 deep safeties. Having a TE the caliber of say, Tyler Eifert to go with Randall Cobb is a great way of making the other team pay for dropping their safeties deep to shut down the WRs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got absolutely hammered on the forum for saying the team was better without him in 2010... Nice to see most fans come around and give up on the potential thing.

22nd ranked TE in the nfl? Sounds about right.

I don't remember if I was in that camp or not, but I watched him at Texas and was thrilled when we drafted him. I always advocated giving the kid time to grow up. It's been 5 years. 5 freakn years. Adios, Jermichael. Will gladly use your cap number to re-sign some real game changers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
After three seasons, Finley was so focused that he didn't have a single penalty and dropped a very manageable seven passes in 117 attempts.

Since then, Finley has been penalized nine times and dropped 19 of 166 passes, a rate of 11.5% that almost doubles his mark from 2008-'10. According to STATS, no tight end has dropped more in the last 1½ seasons, and most of the leading tight ends have dropped fewer than 10.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
One guy in the 'comments' section put it this way: "Narcissistic, underachieving, loudmouthed players get what they deserve - termination papers." ...and I can't say that I disagree with that summation.

We'll see how this plays out beginning today. If Finley has one of his good games against the Bears as he's had historically, he might just buy himself some time provided that it continues into the playoffs.

Bozz pretty well sums up my view as well. I too defended the kid but those days are gone unless he produces. In my opinion, his cap money spent on retaining Jennings would be the best move the Pack could make. Jennings is not only a good player ... he's a locker room and sideline presence that can't be replaced.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a tight end who thinks he's a wide out. And he's got the brain of a goofy wide out.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Rodgers and McCarthy have said Finley isn’t perceived by his teammates in the locker room as he’s perceived by many/most Packers fans. He’s young and has the ability to present matchup problems. Even when he isn’t catching passes at a minimum Finley can contribute by stretching defenses and drawing double teams. Before his season-ending injury in 2010 he looked to be on his way to fulfilling his immense potential and take his spot among the elite TEs.

If he achieved that level I, and I’d guess a lot of Packers fans, would put up with his off-field immaturity. But that obviously hasn’t happened. To this day I don’t know if it’s because of his immaturity or the effects of that injury two seasons ago. Perhaps it’s some combination of the two. But at this point it doesn’t matter. To justify his 2013 compensation Finley has to consistently give a 100% effort and produce on the field or every opponent knows “the decoy” is just that and then he is indeed among the bottom 50% of the starting TEs in the league.

Finley could very well have a big day today and I hope he does. But IMO he’ll need nothing less than a “road to Damascus” experience and in the extremely unlikely event that happens, it may already be too late as McGinn indicates. How much could the Packers get in a trade? Nothing is my guess.

Here’s how far Finley has fallen in importance to the Packers from my point of view: I thought the most interesting part of McGinn’s article was his brief mentions of Brandon Bostick and Jeremy Ross. The rest was well written (as always) and interesting. But it wasn’t a surprise.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears will force middle of the field short to intermediate throw, like they always do. The table is set for the guy (excuse me; the child). Let's see if be makes the most of it. Hopefully.

Lex Luger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is due to make top WR money next year, of course Pack will cut him if he doesnt have a monster finish to end the season. This isnt news, its common sense. Even if he is recut, he might resign for less money. Just cause he mouthed off a little doesnt make him a bad player or a bad person, just someone who talks too much.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sold on this. The topic of Finley has been gone over so many times by people including me so I won't even bother it. I do however, believe it will come down to Finley or Jennings. I doubt we sign both but I think one of them will be on the roster next year.

I'll leave with this quote- After the 2010 playoff defeat in Arizona, veteran safety Adrian Wilson said Finley was "very comparable to Antonio Gates. Hell of a player."
On Oct. 8, 2010, two days before Finley suffered a season-ending knee injury in Washington, Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said, "He is probably one of the better (tight ends) in the league, if not the best."

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He always puts in good performances vs the Bears, it seems. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased as punch about it. We need to see his effort for the rest of the season. Still, no matter where he plays next year, GB or elsewhere, I doubt it'll be for anywhere in the neighborhood of $7M/yr.

I'd still love to be proven wrong, seriously. If he is kept, It would mean Uncle Ted thinks he's worth it, and I trust Ted on that; he won't "overpay", and the closest he's really come to doing that is with Hawk. And even that is very debatable. Good game, Jermichael. Be a professional, block out the distractions, and help bring another Lombardi home.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no question that Finley was one of the best before the knee injury. He's been anything but ever since. Driving to the bar to watch the game yesterday, I caught the tail end of this story on the Packer pre-game show. The guys wondered if the article was intentionally leaked by the Packers in order to light a fire under Finley.

I think that he had a drop on his first catch, and then 5 for 60 some yards yesterday. The plan may be to get Finley playing great down the stretch so that his trade value rises. Not bad maneuvering if TT is pulling all of the strings on this scenario.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no question that Finley was one of the best before the knee injury. He's been anything but ever since. Driving to the bar to watch the game yesterday, I caught the tail end of this story on the Packer pre-game show. The guys wondered if the article was intentionally leaked by the Packers in order to light a fire under Finley.

I think that he had a drop on his first catch, and then 5 for 60 some yards yesterday. The plan may be to get Finley playing great down the stretch so that his trade value rises. Not bad maneuvering if TT is pulling all of the strings on this scenario.

Doubtful. It paints the organization in a bad light when that leaked. Plus, no way you leak something like that without being willing to follow through.

2010 the packers offense was statistically better after finley got injured. He had a couple great games in his career, and that's about it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He always puts in good performances vs the Bears, it seems. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased as punch about it. We need to see his effort for the rest of the season. Still, no matter where he plays next year, GB or elsewhere, I doubt it'll be for anywhere in the neighborhood of $7M/yr.

I'd still love to be proven wrong, seriously. If he is kept, It would mean Uncle Ted thinks he's worth it, and I trust Ted on that; he won't "overpay", and the closest he's really come to doing that is with Hawk. And even that is very debatable. Good game, Jermichael. Be a professional, block out the distractions, and help bring another Lombardi home.

I'd say Ted overpaid for one of the worst kickers in the nfl too

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
To be great in any position in sports you need at least two things. Finley only has one. He is very talented but lacks the brain power needed to be a great athlete. He cannot focus which causes his many drops. He whines too much and when he does make an occasional catch he jumps up running up the field pointing and acts like he just did something great. I for one will be glad to see him go. Maybe his next coach can change his attitude.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most revealing part of the article was the anger in the Packers' front office over Finley's agents stupid remarks on Rogers. I think that has more to do with Finley's future than anything else, given Rogers' admitted sensitivity.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say Ted overpaid for one of the worst kickers in the nfl too

He wasn't one of the worst when he signed the deal. And that's a risk with every player. He went from being a pretty solid nfl kicker to losing "it", whatever "it" is. Something has gone wrong with Mason, I am not arguing that. But we don't know what and most imporantly we don't know why. Maybe Mason knows, maybe he doesn't. It's mental I think. I hope he's ok.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't one of the worst when he signed the deal. And that's a risk with every player. He went from being a pretty solid nfl kicker to losing "it", whatever "it" is. Something has gone wrong with Mason, I am not arguing that. But we don't know what and most imporantly we don't know why. Maybe Mason knows, maybe he doesn't. It's mental I think. I hope he's ok.

There was alot of fans that disagreed with the signing. He wasnt great then but still signed what is currently the 8th highest kicker contract.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts