REPORT: Eddie Lacy talking to P90X creator about training

Rmac587

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, Lacey looks great, and it's not just football, it's a long term choice hopefully. Obesity and heart disease are endemic in the Deep South. You see a LOT of former SEC/NFL players from the area really go to seed once they quit playing.

As for Lacey, the first couple of times he is able to rip off a long run instead of bogging down like he did last year will be the difference. Throw in the attention Jordy will get so the D can't stack the box... I'm psyched about next year. Hats off to Lacey for taking constructive criticism and doing something about it.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Starks is happy for a guy he's seemed to like or is he secretly thinking "dangit Eddie....you fat was my chance to play into a fatter contract..."

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is foolish if he doesn't get a contract extension on Lacy this offseason or early in the year. He might actually be too expensive next season unless he gets a serious injury. But the guy still ran for 758 yards on a "down" year. Only reason he had that little is because he got benched. We have forgotten he is what finally gave the Packers running game in a very long time. He has shown this off season he takes it serious and gotten in much better shape. I think last year he tried to gain weight to become a bull dozer and it backfired on him. By the time he tried to correct it, the season was too far into it already.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ted is foolish if he doesn't get a contract extension on Lacy this offseason or early in the year. He might actually be too expensive next season unless he gets a serious injury. But the guy still ran for 758 yards on a "down" year. Only reason he had that little is because he got benched. We have forgotten he is what finally gave the Packers running game in a very long time. He has shown this off season he takes it serious and gotten in much better shape. I think last year he tried to gain weight to become a bull dozer and it backfired on him. By the time he tried to correct it, the season was too far into it already.

First of all the Packers don't have the cap space necessary to sign Lacy to a contract extension this season. In addition the front office should be extremely reluctant to sign him to a lucrative long term deal after what happened last season. I would be concerned about him staying motivated once he gets a huge amount of money.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the Packers don't have the cap space necessary to sign Lacy to a contract extension this season. In addition the front office should be extremely reluctant to sign him to a lucrative long term deal after what happened last season. I would be concerned about him staying motivated once he gets a huge amount of money.

They could get a contract with many performance based incentives. So a guy comes in and has 2 really solid years and has 1 down year and is still better than any other RB had done in years. So we can always go back to Alex Green being out leading rusher with like 450 yds? His "down" year was him being benched a few times. If he would stop overpaying for players that probably wouldn't even get picked up by other teams. The money would be there.

D

Deleted member 6794

They could get a contract with many performance based incentives.

The Packers signing Lacy to a heavily incentive laden contract without a huge signing bonus is the only way I would feel comfortable about keeping him in Green Bay after the 2016 season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers signing Lacy to a heavily incentive laden contract without a huge signing bonus is the only way I would feel comfortable about keeping him in Green Bay after the 2016 season.

Something I wish all contracts would move closer to, but I doubt they ever will.

The dice roll with Lacy right now is, if we don't resign him ahead of time and his off season training proves to be just what he needed to become the back we all hoped for, our 2017 FA situation and cap space may not allow us to pay him the money he will command. The other side, you resign him for above average money now, which is probably what his agent would be asking for and that could prove disastrous if he is still just an average back.

I think his early work will let the Packers see what the "new" Eddie can do. If it looks optimistic, maybe a mid year deal can be worked out, with favorable terms for both sides. But I definitely would hate to see guaranteed money thrown his way, until he proves his new regiment sticks and takes his game to another level.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if TT hadn't signed a backup RB for $2 million, a rotational 3 sack LB for $5 million, an average kicker for $4 million, among other questionable salaries, there might be room.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe if TT hadn't signed a backup RB for $2 million, a rotational 3 sack LB for $5 million, an average kicker for $4 million, among other questionable salaries, there might be room.

That's exactly what I've said. Ted gets praised for being a Good cap handling GM and he overpays for guys like the ones you mention that honestly might not even get picked up by other teams or even be starters in other teams. We went years without a RB. A few years ago we were all complaining about how all the Packers offense needed was a RB. We finally got one and by stupid management he will most likely get run out of town. How many years will it take to fill positions that are needed? We've all known ILB and TE have been week. He really didn't do anything to fix that issue and going into next year he will now have to fill big holes on both sides of the line guys.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's exactly what I've said. Ted gets praised for being a Good cap handling GM and he overpays for guys like the ones you mention that honestly might not even get picked up by other teams or even be starters in other teams. We went years without a RB. A few years ago we were all complaining about how all the Packers offense needed was a RB. We finally got one and by stupid management he will most likely get run out of town. How many years will it take to fill positions that are needed? We've all known ILB and TE have been week. He really didn't do anything to fix that issue and going into next year he will now have to fill big holes on both sides of the line guys.
And it also just seems like a fundamental flaw in team building to tie $20 million up in two receivers. With Jordy, I understand, but $20 million or less will get you 1 very good and 2 solid to good receivers, instead of 1 good, but largely co-dependant, slot receiver. Sure, teams would have paid as much or more for Cobb, but none of those teams are NE, Denver, or any other with their sights on a championship.

D

Deleted member 6794

The dice roll with Lacy right now is, if we don't resign him ahead of time and his off season training proves to be just what he needed to become the back we all hoped for, our 2017 FA situation and cap space may not allow us to pay him the money he will command. The other side, you resign him for above average money now, which is probably what his agent would be asking for and that could prove disastrous if he is still just an average back.

I think his early work will let the Packers see what the "new" Eddie can do. If it looks optimistic, maybe a mid year deal can be worked out, with favorable terms for both sides. But I definitely would hate to see guaranteed money thrown his way, until he proves his new regiment sticks and takes his game to another level.

Once again, the Packers will most likely have approximately $1.5-3.5 million of cap space during the 2016 season. That's not enough to sign Lacy to a long term deal.

As I've said repeatedly the front office should be reluctant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long term deal after what happened last season. I'd prefer the team to spend an early draft pick on his replacement next year.

Jared Cook adds much needed athleticism at the tight end position. It's true the inside linebacker position wasn't addressed adequately and that it takes Thompson too long to improve obvious positions of need.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

And it also just seems like a fundamental flaw in team building to tie $20 million up in two receivers. With Jordy, I understand, but $20 million or less will get you 1 very good and 2 solid to good receivers, instead of 1 good, but largely co-dependant, slot receiver. Sure, teams would have paid as much or more for Cobb, but none of those teams are NE, Denver, or any other with their sights on a championship.

Nelson and Cobb are a terrific one-two punch at receiver. Last season revealed that Randall is dependent on having an elite WR playing next to him to shine though. I understand fans questioning him being worth $10 million a year because of it.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga, Crosby, Burnett, Cobb and Masthay all good a pretty nice contract. I would bet my money on Lacy bring more impactful than any of those guys. Ted is not the guru everyone has made him to be. He will be leaving just in time when all contracts are coming up so the guy after him takes the blame. He has not done much to improve areas of need

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga, Crosby, Burnett, Cobb and Masthay all good a pretty nice contract. I would bet my money on Lacy bring more impactful than any of those guys. Ted is not the guru everyone has made him to be. He will be leaving just in time when all contracts are coming up so the guy after him takes the blame. He has not done much to improve areas of need

Thompson has a tendency to overpay for the team's own free agents and has been slow to address several positions of need in the past. Overall he has done a fine job as the Packers GM though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would the Packers ever consider going over the cap, even for just a season? Where would the luxury tax payable come from?

The NFL uses a hard salary cap. Teams aren't allowed to go over it during the league year (which runs from the start of free agency until the end of the season).

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully he has the discipline to keep in shape during the season and not a temporary fix just to please his coaches

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This situation may work out great. If Lacy returns to his first 2 seasons of production and stays healthy. We may be able to resign him to a moderate team friendly deal. Especially when other backs like Leveon Bell and Jeremy Hill hit FA also. Those backs are for sure getting paid. I believe Lacy on a 2 yr 12 mil deal if he reaches the 1,000 yard mark while healthy.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he handles the season. Will he stay in shape or let things slide? I am one of those people that thinks that he has the incentive of the new contract to keep him motivated. If he gets a new one....well we'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts