REPORT: Eddie Lacy talking to P90X creator about training

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, if you're a full grown man or woman, and your job and truckloads of money are on the line, expecting you to be self motivated shouldn't be too much to expect.

OP
OP
Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody led that horse to water and by most accounts he has bought into drinking.
So apparently the Packers staff couldn't influence the kid to get in shape and stay in shape, but this guy can.
Puzzling.

You forgot to mention the part where the main person responsible for Lacy was fired and replaced.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Lacy getting involved in this type of training.
It sounds like the kid needs some serious structure to keep him on track.

What I'm curious about is why the Packers training staff and head coach couldn't provide the needed structure to keep him in shape.

That really is a bit curious.

Sky King

Reaction score
The HC and his staff had a bad year. The team underachieved, coaches included. The coaching re-assignments were a flop: top-heavy on offense, plenty of staff to go around yet not every position group had a dedicated coach. Alex Van Pelt handled both QBs and WRs (and we all saw how well those two position groups struggled for much of the season).

On paper, anyway, it looks like the HC may have righted the ship going into 2016.

D

Deleted member 6794

On paper, anyway, it looks like the HC may have righted the ship going into 2016.

I agree McCarthy made some smart moves regarding the coaching staff this offseason but I still don't understand why he held on to Clements.

Sky King

Reaction score
I agree McCarthy made some smart moves regarding the coaching staff this offseason but I still don't understand why he held on to Clements.
That one has me stumped, as well. There seems to be no obvious business reason for retaining him. He has a nice title but no clear-cut assignment. On the surface he appears to be the Assistant HC of everything, yet directly in-charge of nothing.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you need to report to training camp in decent shape for them to do the fine tuning. They would and should concentrate on game related training primarily and weight loss stuff should be secondary..and this is where a off-season P90X would be very valuable.

He looks brilliant in the tweeted pics and I'm expecting him back in his explosive form coming season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's hope that the 2 months of hard work that Eddie put into getting back in shape sticks. The next 5 months will be key for him.

OP
OP
Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's hope that the 2 months of hard work that Eddie put into getting back in shape sticks. The next 5 months will be key for him.

True, but with the offseason program starting on the 18th, I expect Lacy to be fully committed and ready for camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, but with the offseason program starting on the 18th, I expect Lacy to be fully committed and ready for camp.
Most would "expect" him to be fully committed, but something seemed to derail that commitment in the past. So all I am saying is that 2 months of hard work is a great start, but can disappear quickly unless his mindset has changed too. The next 5 months are key to that.

OP
OP
Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most would "expect" him to be fully committed, but something seemed to derail that commitment in the past. So all I am saying is that 2 months of hard work is a great start, but can disappear quickly unless his mindset has changed too. The next 5 months are key to that.

That's just playing the what if game at this point though. The man just went through a vigorous training regimen with Tony Horton with obvious results. Yes, he can get derailed, but if you were coming up on your contract year and know that being slim is your key to a big contract, why would you jeopardize that after all you just went through? I understand what you are saying, I'm just not seeing a huge cause for concern especially since he'll be back in Green Bay under supervision of the team physicians.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While my concern isn't off the charts, I think it is realistic based on the nature of people (in and out of football) and their ability to get in shape and stay in shape. The hard work may appear to be getting into shape, but really the harder work is staying in shape. If his mind set and lifestyle led up to him getting out of shape and he hasn't changed those, nothing he did over the last 2 months will stick.

Kudos to Eddie and fingers crossed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, he can get derailed, but if you were coming up on your contract year and know that being slim is your key to a big contract, why would you jeopardize that after all you just went through?

That is a question you can ask of all the athletes/people who despite everything ahead of them, chose to follow a different path that led to their demise.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's just playing the what if game at this point though. The man just went through a vigorous training regimen with Tony Horton with obvious results. Yes, he can get derailed, but if you were coming up on your contract year and know that being slim is your key to a big contract, why would you jeopardize that after all you just went through? I understand what you are saying, I'm just not seeing a huge cause for concern especially since he'll be back in Green Bay under supervision of the team physicians.

There´s no denying losing weight was a great start for Lacy but he will have to continue to work hard to stay in shape. With the start of the offseason program next week that shouldn´t be a problem over the next two months. With the players getting several weeks off after minicamp he will have to stay dedicated to practice ******* his own during that period though. After what happened last season it shouldn´t be surprising some of us are worried about that.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to MM having righted the ship for 16... Has anyone been assigned as a WR coach? After the season, this looked like perhaps the most glaring issue after the way that position group performed. Has it been addressed?

D

Deleted member 6794

Back to MM having righted the ship for 16... Has anyone been assigned as a WR coach? After the season, this looked like perhaps the most glaring issue after the way that position group performed. Has it been addressed?

The Packers named Luke Getsy as the team´s receivers coach in February. Getsy will be entering his third season with the Packers in 2016, having served as the offensive quality control coach the past two seasons.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers named Luke Getsy as the team´s receivers coach in February. Getsy will be entering his third season with the Packers in 2016, having served as the offensive quality control coach the past two seasons.

The resume, thus far:

Luke John Getsy (born February 16, 1984) is an American football coach and former quarterback. He is currently the wide receiver coach for the Green Bay Packers. He previously served as the offensive coordinator for the Indiana University of Pennsylvania Crimson Hawks football team and wide receivers coach for the Western Michigan Broncos football team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Getsy

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm ok. not sure how, but seems like I missed that promotion entirely. Doesn't ring any bells at all. Thanks.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Growing up isn't easy, and some guys have a little more trouble doing it than others. It took Brett Favre a while, and he turned out alright. Hoping Lacy has turned the corner too.

Members online

Latest posts