Report: Aaron Rodgers return to Packers hinges on a trade for Randall Cobb

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I mentioned, of course there are a lot of things that the Packers would need to do their due diligence on. Thomas's beef may strictly be with the way the way that the Saints publicly painted the picture of the timing of his surgery. Maybe a doctor he trusted gave him other advice? Do we know for sure?

I don't know a lot about Thomas off the field, I just know that when healthy, he is one hell of a good football player. Michael Thomas just turned 28 in March, if he has another 3-4 years of play like he has had and everything checks out in a favorable way, then the next thing you look at is "how much do the Saints want in a trade?"

His contract calls for the following base salaries, could be a bargain for a player of his caliber. Especially when compared with what Adams apparently wants.

2021: $1 Million
2022: $15.35M + $450K WO & Roster
2023: $15.5 M + $950K WO & Roster
2024: $18.5 M + $1.2M WO & Roster

If I did my math right, that averages out to $13.2375M/year over the next 4 years.
Wow, I'm a little surprised he didn't press for more. With an aging, declining Julio Jones getting $22 mil/year, and Hpkins on a two year, $54 mil deal, I'd bet Thomas would want his deal reworked if he's traded.

Tarzan2490

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I mentioned, of course there are a lot of things that the Packers would need to do their due diligence on. Thomas's beef may strictly be with the way the way that the Saints publicly painted the picture of the timing of his surgery. Maybe a doctor he trusted gave him other advice? Do we know for sure?

I don't know a lot about Thomas off the field, I just know that when healthy, he is one hell of a good football player. Michael Thomas just turned 28 in March, if he has another 3-4 years of play like he has had and everything checks out in a favorable way, then the next thing you look at is "how much do the Saints want in a trade?"

His contract calls for the following base salaries, could be a bargain for a player of his caliber. Especially when compared with what Adams apparently wants.

2021: $1 Million
2022: $15.35M + $450K WO & Roster
2023: $15.5 M + $950K WO & Roster
2024: $18.5 M + $1.2M WO & Roster

If I did my math right, that averages out to $13.2375M/year over the next 4 years.
So I'm new to this, I've tried to follow quite a bit of members to get more familiar with contracts and guarantees. Could Green Bay offer a contract for 3-4 years to Adams with more guaranteed money up front? (If that was a stupid question please ignore!)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So I'm new to this, I've tried to follow quite a bit of members to get more familiar with contracts and guarantees. Could Green Bay offer a contract for 3-4 years to Adams with more guaranteed money up front? (If that was a stupid question please ignore!)
They can offer him anything, its just a matter of what he will accept and how much the Packers are willing to pay that will decide whether he is a Packer next season. Of course, as we are finding out, the structure of the deal and its impact on the Cap is probably even more critical from the Packers point of view.

I have heard estimates of something to the tune of $125 million over five years with $70 million guaranteed.

I doubt they will only offer him a 3 year deal and I think a 5 year deal will be structured to give them some outs on the back end, so yes, a lot of the money comes up front in the way of the guarantees.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Lots of us are more upset with the stupid answers than the stupid questions. :)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MThom should have never been on the field last year when he was injured. Saints running out the clock. He half blocks a guy who has no interest in getting involved in the tackle and gets rolled up on from behind. He almost skipped out of the way but you could tell it was going to be pretty bad. I wonder if he blames the N.O. coaches the way Rodgers blamed the FO.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas will absolutely want a new deal. The guy is a tur d. His surgery before training camp was his choice. He refused to return calls from the Saints all off season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas will absolutely want a new deal. The guy is a tur d. His surgery before training camp was his choice. He refused to return calls from the Saints all off season.
That is what it sounds like. He wanted time to play and then not play later, for the Saints that is. But still get paid...right?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d rather pay adams than that guy from the Saints. That’s about all I have to say about that

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’d rather pay adams than that guy from the Saints. That’s about all I have to say about that
My only question is this; Adams is going to get something in the $24M/year range, with a boatload of that guaranteed. Whereas Thomas's current contract would cost the Packers $13.2375M/year over the next 4 years, with no guaranteed money. Adams is definitely the better WR, but is he worth the extra $11M/year, as well as the guarantees? With that kind if savings, you can sign the rest of the Packers current WR group and then some.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only question is this; Adams is going to get something in the $24M/year range, with a boatload of that guaranteed. Whereas Thomas's current contract would cost the Packers $13.2375M/year over the next 4 years, with no guaranteed money. Adams is definitely the better WR, but is he worth the extra $11M/year, as well as the guarantees? With that kind if savings, you can sign the rest of the Packers current WR group and then some.
A lot of this will depend on where Adams wants to play, if GB is willing to pay him $24m/yr and a boatload guaranteed, GB's QB situation after 2021, and as for Thomas, who knows? If he gets traded, or even if he doesn't, it's likely he'll want more money. And we've already seen how one superstar diva can shake up a team and the fan base. I'd rather not have another one. And talk about cunning - getting surgery a month before TC. Is that so he can get paid without actually playing? I don't understand the situation. He just seems like he'd be more trouble than he's worth. Yes, he's one of the top WRs in the NFL, just not worth it IMO.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that!!!! I can dust off my $149.00 “Cobb” throwback jersey! We all win!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They can offer him anything, its just a matter of what he will accept and how much the Packers are willing to pay that will decide whether he is a Packer next season. Of course, as we are finding out, the structure of the deal and its impact on the Cap is probably even more critical from the Packers point of view.

I have heard estimates of something to the tune of $125 million over five years with $70 million guaranteed.

I doubt they will only offer him a 3 year deal and I think a 5 year deal will be structured to give them some outs on the back end, so yes, a lot of the money comes up front in the way of the guarantees.
You really think they'd give Adams 56% guaranteed package? That would be very uncharacteristic of Russ Ball. Where'd you hear the 125/70 figures?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You really think they'd give Adams 56% guaranteed package? That would be very uncharacteristic of Russ Ball. Where'd you hear the 125/70 figures?
I hope they don't give him that much money...guaranteed or not.

I've seen the 125/70 or around that tossed around by a number of people. Here is one.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope they don't give him that much money...guaranteed or not.

I've seen the 125/70 or around that tossed around by a number of people. Here is one.

Lol, ah yes, Vincent Frank. A national writer. Those people have zero clues as to how the Packers front office operates, nor do they care or have the intellectual integrity to research their topics. Bunch of loudmouth meatheads.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lol, ah yes, Vincent Frank. A national writer. Those people have zero clues as to how the Packers front office operates, nor do they care or have the intellectual integrity to research their topics. Bunch of loudmouth meatheads.
I don't think Frank's number is that far off actually. Also, at this point it may not matter how the Packer FO operates. If Adams and his agent are interested in making him the highest paid WR in the NFL, they may just go elsewhere in 2022 (unless he is Franchise tagged).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think Frank's number is that far off actually. Also, at this point it may not matter how the Packer FO operates. If Adams and his agent are interested in making him the highest paid WR in the NFL, they may just go elsewhere in 2022 (unless he is Franchise tagged).
I would be shocked and very disappointed if Russ Ball offered an aging WR $70M in guaranteed money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be shocked and very disappointed if Russ Ball offered an aging WR $70M in guaranteed money.
125/70 is just too much, as much as I like Adams and appreciate his skill set. Even if he is the best WR in the NFL, and he probably is right now, especially with #12 throwing to him, that kind of deal can cripple a franchise financially and competitively.

And if Rodgers leaves, which seems likely, what good is it to have the best WR if the QB can't get the ball near him?

We're already seeing $45 mil/year for QBs (Mahomes). How is a franchise supposed to build around that consistently? I know the Chiefs are pulling it off, but for how long? I'd rather see a competitive team every year that makes the occasional deep run. And realistically, that's probably all we can ask for post-Rodgers.

So I'd say no to Adams and work on getting the D into the top 5. They aren't that far and plenty of teams have won with an elite D - Bucs, Seahags, Ravens, Steelers. I'm probably missing a few.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
And if Rodgers leaves, which seems likely, what good is it to have the best WR if the QB can't get the ball near him?
Sterling Sharpe saved the young Favre's bacon for the first few years. Made him look better at the time than he was. Favre finally blossomed after Sharpe's injury shut him down permanently.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling Sharpe saved the young Favre's bacon for the first few years. Made him look better at the time than he was. Favre finally blossomed after Sharpe's injury shut him down permanently.
Good point. A great receiver can certainly help a QB, in many ways - in the huddle, route running, on the bench, off the field, ability to win at the point of contact, and on. Greg Jennings wasn't such a WR, but Davante Adams certainly is.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great to have Thomas and Adams on the same team. The big question then is who will throw the ball to them?

This trade could happen if the cap expands as expected and enough of Rodgers cap hit comes off in 2022, but it would be tight and allow for no FA moves - probably. It's fun to think about, I just don't see it happening.

At first thought it's, If you have Thomas and Adams it's likely Jordan Love is throwing them the ball...although on the other hand I can't imagine a world in which Rodgers wouldn't find a way to play on that team...so maybe it'd be Rodgers on an extension while Love waits another year

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first thought it's, If you have Thomas and Adams it's likely Jordan Love is throwing them the ball...although on the other hand I can't imagine a world in which Rodgers wouldn't find a way to play on that team...so maybe it'd be Rodgers on an extension while Love waits another year
Yeah I'm sure Rodgers would love throwing to Adams and Thomas. I don't think there's enough cap though, and Alexander's extension is coming up fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts