Recap of TT's news conference on 02/02/07

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, ok Dakota! Sometimes on here its hard to tell just what someone means.
The thing is.........what if a good RB isn't there at the 16th pick? (I THINK thats where GB picks) then what do you do? Plus, how many "can't miss" players bomb in the NFL. Theres NO guarentee, thats for sure! In that case you take a D player, and maybe pick up a RB later.
And I'm SURE TT realizes that it takes offense to win games. After all, if you don't score any points, you can't win! I don't think the guy is stupid! There are only 32 NFL GM's in the world, and they don't get there by being dumb! (Well.......except Matt Millen!)LOL!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
...I think TT just cares about the DEFENSE pretty much, and isn't as concerned with the offense...but with Brett FAvre on his team...he is forced to be....and I don't think that TT likes that...most GM's are control freaks...)

You are so right about the defense quote 66. And when TT uses his first rounder this year on D, I hope everyone remembers what you wrote!

If you guys think Ted Thompson is stupid, you're entitled to your opinions, but it just doesn't make sense to me that an NFL GM would only care about the defense. Also, you seem to be overlooking the fact that Thompson took offensive linemen in the second, third, and fifth rounds last year, and drafted WR's in the second round both years. Are you angry about the A.J. Hawk pick?

I need to pull my post I guess. Didn't TT address the offense substantially last year in the draft. My point was that TT seems to be more of a defensive minded GM and it was astout of 66 to point that out. Sorry for the bad communication.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
DakotaT said:
...I think TT just cares about the DEFENSE pretty much, and isn't as concerned with the offense...but with Brett FAvre on his team...he is forced to be....and I don't think that TT likes that...most GM's are control freaks...)

You are so right about the defense quote 66. And when TT uses his first rounder this year on D, I hope everyone remembers what you wrote!

If you guys think Ted Thompson is stupid, you're entitled to your opinions, but it just doesn't make sense to me that an NFL GM would only care about the defense. Also, you seem to be overlooking the fact that Thompson took offensive linemen in the second, third, and fifth rounds last year, and drafted WR's in the second round both years. Are you angry about the A.J. Hawk pick?

I need to pull my post I guess. Didn't TT address the offense substantially last year in the draft. My point was that TT seems to be more of a defensive minded GM and it was astout of 66 to point that out. Sorry for the bad communication.
No biggee Dakota! You made it clear now! Don't sweat it!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good Post Dakota..

(You have a right to your own opinion here..!)

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, ok Dakota! Sometimes on here its hard to tell just what someone means.
The thing is.........what if a good RB isn't there at the 16th pick? (I THINK thats where GB picks) then what do you do? Plus, how many "can't miss" players bomb in the NFL. Theres NO guarentee, thats for sure! In that case you take a D player, and maybe pick up a RB later.
And I'm SURE TT realizes that it takes offense to win games. After all, if you don't score any points, you can't win! I don't think the guy is stupid! There are only 32 NFL GM's in the world, and they don't get there by being dumb! (Well.......except Matt Millen!)LOL!

Cheesey, my draft strategy is very easy every year because it is constant. There are 5 positions on the field that warrant the first round pick. LT, QB, RB, DE, and CB. If Jenkins is re-upped, I believe our weakest spots are RB, CB, then LT. I don't believe Lynch will be there for us at 16 because Pittsburgh will snag him. I want a corner because if Harris or Woodson go down, we are SOL.

Last year we took a LB at 5 which normally I think is crazy, but exceptional young me like AJ do not come around very often, and I was very pleased with the pick.

I've been reading the mock drafts and most of them say we will get Lynch or the WR from USC. I think TT will pick defense, but if Lynch is sitting there when we pick, I wouldn't be disappointed to see him in G&G.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Okay, just watched it.

Was it me or did Ted seemed more enthused about Brett playing than Ted conveyed about Mike? He seemed excited Brett was playing, but when talking about Mike and Brett playing he seemed to have the smile wiped off his face.

No question, Ted has always wanted Brett as his teams's QB. I can't say coming off 29 INT season that he couldn't take precaution, ie enter Aaron Rodgers

It's nice to see Ted being more and more relaxed with each conference. His first one was just terrrrrrrible, lol.

Why can't they get mics in the back so you can better hear the questions?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ive never seen the man smile so much it is obvious he wanted Favre back really bad just like the rest of us did!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it again....This year, with all the cap space, TT could solve two BIG problems in FA. A good TE and a good CB/S. Both will probably be available. They won't be cheap but he doesn't need to be. The draft can then give us quality depth at several positions. It's the way to go, IMO.