Recap of TT's news conference on 02/02/07

Reaction score
- TT's convo with Brett was good and short, Brett saying something along the lines of "I'm gonna give it another shot". Got a phone call from Brett about an hour before the media got a hold of the decision.

- TT was in a meeting when he got the call, he saw the number and excused himself to attend the call.

- Says Brett knew that it was better for everyone that he decide quickly, and TT says there is less uncertainty going into this off-season than last.

- Brett didn't exactly say why he was coming back but TT says that in conversations during the last few games of the season Brett told him he was enjoying playing the game.

- TT says his reaction was "good", and says it is good for the Packers and the NFL.

- TT hopes that this team is a legit playoff contender, and says that he feels the the players are getting better as a team, and that Rodgers+Favre forms a great QB duo.

- Rodgers is doing well in his recovery, and they informed Rodgers that they were happy to have him even with Brett.

- Rodgers is helped by Favre's return because he gets to learn from and watch Brett for one more year but Rodgers also misses out on some of the other things that can be done. Overall, TT thinks it's a positive for Aaron.

- Doesn't know if Brett is returning for only 1 year or beyond that.

- TT says less uncertainties going forward this year than there were last year.

- Happy to have Brett and Aaron on the team, and they have reduced Brett's workload last year to give Aaron a chance to learn and Brett a chance to rest.

- Positive for the team to have Brett come back, a good thing and TT says he is "happy" Brett is back.

- Says Brett admitted in the conversations nearing the end of the year that he'd have to decide faster this year, and that he would.

- TT had 2 conversations with Brett over the course of last week.

- TT and BF traded a few messages, TT says "Brett was hunting, and I was scouting". They didn't make small-talk.

- TT says that he feels Brett may be a recruiting tool for Free Agency.

- TT says sometimes in Free Agency the "all-mighty dollar sign" has the only influence.

- TT told MM 20 minutes after he got Brett's phone call that Brett would be back, and MM was excited and then MM went to call and talk to Aaron Rodgers.

- TT says he HASN'T seen any physical decline in Brett's abilities.

- They'll keep an eye on the # of throws Brett makes in practices, TC, etc.

- Not sure if the end of the season (the winning streak) helped make Brett's decision, but says that the attitude and direction of the team are what Brett is pleased with.

- TT mentioned he starts something related to the draft tomorrow, but I didn't catch what he talked about.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
having Brett signed on for 2007 before free agency begins helps so much. Last year Lavar Arrington wanted to know if Favre was gonna play, but there was no answer, and he went elsewhere. Now free agents know, GB is the place to be.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson said Having Brett Favre on your team is a positive when you go out and talk to other people.

I agree with that statement a lot. This might lure some good players our way.

Looking at the above Thompson says nothing but good things. I still don't understand why people think he wants Favre out of town. Sounds like from top to bottom the Packers are happy as most of the fans are.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
No problem eastcoastpacker, the conference ended literally like 5 minutes ago, I was typing as it was going on...

There was some repetition, as you can see by some of the points I posted.

I was hoping someone would ask Ted about his plans for free agency....

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
having Brett signed on for 2007 before free agency begins helps so much. Last year Lavar Arrington wanted to know if Favre was gonna play, but there was no answer, and he went elsewhere. Now free agents know, GB is the place to be.

This is huge for free agent signings. You are right as rain Trom.

Now the thing I noticed in the press conference was; When ted was asked if this was good for the Packers he did not say something like "Of course" or "You Betcha".... He said "We will have two good QB's in camp."

If you ask me.... and I may be wrong, he did not look to excited, but maybe that is just Ted?

EDIT: Also, not *****ing about Ted.... But when asked if he thought this would get the Packers back to the palyoffs he said; "We hope so!" It kills me when a leader says "We hope so." There is no "HOPE SO." in Gaol setting, and you will only go as far as high as the goals you set.

R.P.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
RP I didn't watch the video, I heard the audio because I was typing along, but the thing I got from the conference was that TT and MM made an effort to reach out to Aaron and not make him feel as if he isn't wanted or that he will be lost with Brett coming back another year. They wanted him to know he was still in their plans...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stoneface Thompson isnt very charismatic, except in the bedroom. I think he was thrown off by having to talk about the unexpected cold front in Mississippi...lol

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
RP I didn't watch the video, I heard the audio because I was typing along, but the thing I got from the conference was that TT and MM made an effort to reach out to Aaron and not make him feel as if he isn't wanted or that he will be lost with Brett coming back another year. They wanted him to know he was still in their plans...

Very good point. Very good point A.A.D.P.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think Arrington ever planned on coming to GB...

I still think that TT wanted Favre to retire, but may be coming around a little....

(The jury is still out on that though...!)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sure...lots..

Look at the '05 season...and to a certain extent, the '06 season and the lack of signing any playmakers at WR....or any vets on the o-line..

and look at RP's quote from the PC..

Now the thing I noticed in the press conference was; When ted was asked if this was good for the Packers he did not say something like "Of course" or "You Betcha".... He said "We will have two good QB's in camp."

There's other examples out there as well....

(We'll also see by what TT does this year...There are no excuses anymore as to why he can't go out and get an offensive "play-maker" or two....)

(This comment was made AADP before you edited your post and put in the word "hating" in there...I don't think TT hates Favre..just wanted him out of the way so that he could build the team "his way" from the ground up..without having to be distracted by Favre...I think TT just cares about the DEFENSE pretty much, and isn't as concerned with the offense...but with Brett FAvre on his team...he is forced to be concerned with the offense, and I don't think that TT likes that...most GM's are control freaks anyway...)

Also, I bet, as a former player, TT resents some of the salaries that these players are making TT (hence, his allusion to "the almighty $$" in his PC), which probably effects the way he approaches things...as the presence of Favre in GB effects the way he approaches things as well...that's all.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

This is huge for free agent signings. You are right as rain Trom.

If you ask me.... and I may be wrong, he did not look to excited, but maybe that is just Ted?

EDIT: Also, not *****ing about Ted.... But when asked if he thought this would get the Packers back to the palyoffs he said; "We hope so!" It kills me when a leader says "We hope so." There is no "HOPE SO." in Gaol setting, and you will only go as far as high as the goals you set.

R.P.
TT looked like TT. He's not the most exciting to watch on TV. But then, as i remember it, neither was Ron Wolf. However, i DID see TT smile a bit during the interview. He did seems genuinely happy about Favre returning. And i think he's happy the decision was now, and not a month from now. It has to make his job easier to be able to tell FA's that Favre WILL be there.
The only time i have seen Ted more excited was when i told him that Trom was coming up to Green Bay to SEE him!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I think TT just cares about the DEFENSE pretty much, and isn't as concerned with the offense...but with Brett FAvre on his team...he is forced to be....and I don't think that TT likes that...most GM's are control freaks...)

You are so right about the defense quote 66. And when TT uses his first rounder this year on D, I hope everyone remembers what you wrote!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..?

We'll see on Sunday!

The Ravens and Jaguars think that too, but where are they?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I think TT just cares about the DEFENSE pretty much, and isn't as concerned with the offense...but with Brett FAvre on his team...he is forced to be....and I don't think that TT likes that...most GM's are control freaks...)

You are so right about the defense quote 66. And when TT uses his first rounder this year on D, I hope everyone remembers what you wrote!
You need BOTH the offense AND defense to win. So if the best player still there is on D, you want TT to pass him up to get a lesser O player?
Man.......FA hasn't even started yet, and here we go with the "TT wants to destroy the team" type of talk.
A GM's JOB is to control the team off the field. He's the one resposible if a draft pick does good or bombs. He took AJ Hawk. Was that a bad pick? And Greg Jennings.........was he bad? He got hurt, and i think that really affected him, but i think for a rookie he did pretty good. A GM has to look at ALL aspects of a team. NOT just offense. Terrence Murphy last year i think would have been a pretty good WR. It's a shame that he got a career ending injury. Can't blame TT for that. Didn't he trade for Vernand Morency? He looked pretty darn good to me.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Yeah..?

We'll see on Sunday!

The Ravens and Jaguars think that too, but where are they?
Well, the Ravens have a title with Trent Dilfer as QB...

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:

You need BOTH the offense AND defense to win. So if the best player still there is on D, you want TT to pass him up to get a lesser O player?
Man.......FA hasn't even started yet, and here we go with the "TT wants to destroy the team" type of talk.
A GM's JOB is to control the team off the field. He's the one resposible if a draft pick does good or bombs. He took AJ Hawk. Was that a bad pick? And Greg Jennings.........was he bad? He got hurt, and i think that really affected him, but i think for a rookie he did pretty good. A GM has to look at ALL aspects of a team. NOT just offense. Terrence Murphy last year i think would have been a pretty good WR. It's a shame that he got a career ending injury. Can't blame TT for that. Didn't he trade for Vernand Morency? He looked pretty darn good to me.

I think you mis-understood me Cheese, most people have been talking about us taking a RB, but I think Thompson will take a corner or DL. I'm about the last guy in here ripping uncle Ted.

I think we have a pretty good offense as is, but we need more proficiency in the red zone. My preference is to have a lights out defense, and I believe that is TT's objective.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How many years ago was that kmac?

How did the Ravens do this year?

Cheesey's right. It takes defense AND offense to win championships...

That empty platitude that "defense wins championships" rings hollow to me, and is only half the story.

(I'm just saying that I hope TT understands that..!!!)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you guys think Ted Thompson is stupid, you're entitled to your opinions, but it just doesn't make sense to me that an NFL GM would only care about the defense. Also, you seem to be overlooking the fact that Thompson took offensive linemen in the second, third, and fifth rounds last year, and drafted WR's in the second round both years. Are you angry about the A.J. Hawk pick?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No..

He HAD to take offensive lineman, there was nobody to play on the damn line!

I just think that TT's a defensive minded guy, and much like Sherman who primarily concentrated on the offense when he was GM, TT is doing the same...only with the defense.

He has to get Favre some "legitimate" weapons this year and not act like he doesn't care or just pick up bums and cast-offs off the waiver wire like he's done for the last 2 years at the offensive skill positions just because they were going "cheap"....

Members online

Latest posts