Rebuilding year?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Can we consider this a rebuilding year considering how much playing time we are getting from rookies? Or am I just looking to find a way to turn around my frustration with this team by putting it in a positive light? Either response could be valid.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we consider this a rebuilding year considering how much playing time we are getting from rookies? Or am I just looking to find a way to turn around my frustration with this team by putting it in a positive light? Either response could be valid.
I guess it is a "rebuilding year," but GD it!
We have been waiting for a SB return too F'ing long to wait for these rebuilding years!
We shouldn't have rebuilding years! We should be on top every year.

H

HardRightEdge

You can't call this a rebuilding year with the free agents that were signed and the expensive underperforming players retained. This is what the fans wanted. Now it's going to be that much harder.

Reaction score
Rodgers has 19Tds and 1Int. Played through a sprained knee...
Get a clue.

Don't be a jerk. If you live and die by stats you are ignorant to reality. Yes he is throwing 19 to 1. But that could easily be more in the TD column. Im not saying I agree that his playing has dipped, I am merely pointing out what others have said in this forum. Never said I agree with that. So learn to read, and catch your own clue. Fool

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a "rebuilding year" we haven't made the necessary moves to illustrate that. Now if Gute guts the roster in the offseason and gets us like an extra 6 picks in the Draft, next year would be a rebuilding year for sure.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
With Aaron Rodgers playing there should NEVER be a such thing as “rebuild”year ...you reload not rebuild. The guy is turning 35 next month not 25.
With all of the cap space, draft picks, and ability to rid ourselves of bloated/low productivity contracts, I think you're going to see a much different Packers team next season.

Gute has expressed a desire to be aggressive in free agency and I have no reason to doubt the guy as of the present.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all of the cap space, draft picks, and ability to rid ourselves of bloated/low productivity contracts, I think you're going to see a much different Packers team next season.

Gute has expressed a desire to be aggressive in free agency and I have no reason to doubt the guy as of the present.

I’ve been saying this all year. This team will have several new players at key positions, and a new Head Coach. I’ve already declared this is it for Matthews, Cobb, Justin McCray, Kentrell Brice, Bryan Bulaga, and Mike McCarthy

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don’t need a “rebuilding year” in the classical sense, nor is that what we’re doing. I’m as disappointed as anyone at what Green Bay had failed to achieve with Aaron Rodgers (snd Brett Favre for that matter) at QB. But let’s review the bidding. The Packer’s are 4-5-1.... they could pretty easily be 7-3 (or 3-7). My point is the difference between this team and a solid contender (and a “lottery” pick) is razor thin. The year we won a Super Bowl with Rodgers, we basically backed into the playoffs, got “hot”, and rode that wave to a title. Mike McCarthy and TT basked in that glory and the contract extensions that followed ever since. The window to have a stretch of dominance was wasted with TT unwilling to add difference makers during free agency, and Mc Carthy’s mediocre coaching. Thanks to Tts last 4 drafts, I don’t think we have the opportunity to put together a truly great team in what remains of Rodgers career. We have 3-4 years to try to put enough talent around Rodgers to catch lightning in a bottle again before he’s basically finished and “we” learn what it’s like to follow a team without ONE of the GOATS under center for 30+ years. Hopefully we put together another solid draft, Gute is judiciously proactive in free agency, Rodgers is healthiet, and we get a decent seed in the tourney next year. To me the BIGGEST question is do we stick with Lumpy at HC or make a bold change there? I think it really depends on if Murphy and Gute have their eye on a guy they really believe in. I don’t think they’ll Dump the Lump just to “try somebody else”. Bottom line... EVERY year is a rebuilding year...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Outside of the QB, a tackle, Center, WR and RB just that side of the ball will change dramatically. Defense has a bunch of young guys, but man, 2 years ago to today, how different is that roster? I think over half of our roster this year is new. I don't see it being quite such a change next year, but it will still be fairly high I think especially at the "depth" part of the roster. I guess I could TE, Graham will probably still be here next year too I guess.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hope for about half a dozen new guys between the draft and free agency that could come in and help the team right away.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said this last year and the year before... our ILB's have been weak for years (outside of Martinez) while our DL has been a strength... so why in hell outside of coordinators are we still in the 3-4 with the emphasis on (2) ILB's when we currently truly only have one. we should have moved back to a 4-3 years ago, but have been so stubborn to make the obvious move back due to the players on the team. Morrison and Burks might be ok in the end, but I would have much rather seen a 4-man line of Wilkerson, Daniels, Clark, and someone else (Adams, Lowry, or some other DE) and let the offensive line have to only choose to double block one of either Wilkerson, Daniels, or Clark rather than two of them. Daniels and Clark are tough to block with 2 OL currently... imagine them only getting blocked by one lineman.

Reaction score
We have a new GM, OC and DC and clearly stated a new hierarchical power structure to initiate things.
As far as player personnel, we opened the 2018 season by sending our previous #1 Wideout (Jordy) and a 1st round previous draft pick (Randall) walking, then during the draft we traded back from #14 for a future 2019 1st rounder.
Then we trade another 1st rounder (Dix) mid season for a future 2019 4th round draft pick. A short time later, we have a former 3rd round starter that fumbles the ball and gets traded for a 2020 7th rounder. We rotate 3 rookie Wideouts routinely while we let 2 Veteran TEs rot, Mercedes had his 2nd catch for the season last week SECOND CATCH?! Go look at his career stats and then Think about that for a second.
I could go on and on with examples of being in almost a “test” mode. So that all points to a reformulating our team and that doesn’t happen in a single offseason

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I’ve been saying this all year. This team will have several new players at key positions, and a new Head Coach. I’ve already declared this is it for Matthews, Cobb, Justin McCray, Kentrell Brice, Bryan Bulaga, and Mike McCarthy

Yeah, getting rid of McCray's contract will allow the Packers to finally sign an elite pass rusher in free agency :D

I said this last year and the year before... our ILB's have been weak for years (outside of Martinez) while our DL has been a strength... so why in hell outside of coordinators are we still in the 3-4 with the emphasis on (2) ILB's when we currently truly only have one. we should have moved back to a 4-3 years ago, but have been so stubborn to make the obvious move back due to the players on the team. Morrison and Burks might be ok in the end, but I would have much rather seen a 4-man line of Wilkerson, Daniels, Clark, and someone else (Adams, Lowry, or some other DE) and let the offensive line have to only choose to double block one of either Wilkerson, Daniels, or Clark rather than two of them. Daniels and Clark are tough to block with 2 OL currently... imagine them only getting blocked by one lineman.

The Packers haven't had the personnel to successfully play a 4-3 defense for quite some time either.

BTW opponents don't double team Clark and Daniels on most plays as that would leave one or even both of the edge rushers unblocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts