Reasons for why the Packers should continue to play Matthews at ILB

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

He's been here 3 years, Cap. What year of our Lord can we expect signs of life?

With the Packers most likely having the best guard tandem in the league it's not surprising Taylor hasn't played more snaps during his tenure with the team. Last season he excelled in blocking for the run during his limited playing time (153 snaps) starting two games but struggled mightily in pass protection. You have to realize him playing next to Sitton, who played out of position at LT in week 17 vs. the Vikings, as well as a terrible Don Barclay at Detroit made it awfully tough for him to shine though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see if he can make a jump; year four, he should have technique and stuff pretty well figured out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Let's see if he can make a jump; year four, he should have technique and stuff pretty well figured out.

While that's true, with Lang and Sitton still under contract I don't expect Taylor to get significant playing time this season either.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's true, with Lang and Sitton still under contract I don't expect Taylor to get significant playing time this season either.

It's not about him beating out Sitton or Lang. It's about the appearance of a starting job being handed a year in advance- with over $2M a year, no less- to a guy who has shown nothing in 3 years, and probably wouldn't make the roster of many teams in the league.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It's not about him beating out Sitton or Lang. It's about the appearance of a starting job being handed a year in advance- with over $2M a year, no less- to a guy who has shown nothing in 3 years, and probably wouldn't make the roster of many teams in the league.

I agree that the Packers overpaid to re-sign Taylor but they for sure haven't handed him a starting job a year in advance. It was a smart move to retain one of the top backups on the offensive line though.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, Matthews should never, ever, ever, ever line up at ILB again. He's at his best at OLB. Let the guy be a top-10 pass rusher.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

IMO, Matthews should never, ever, ever, ever line up at ILB again. He's at his best at OLB. Let the guy be a top-10 pass rusher.

While it's true that Matthews was an elite edge rusher early in his career he struggled for quite some time before being move inside. With that being said I'm not advocating for lining him up at ILB again but would like Capers to move him around so he can rush the passer from different spots.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true that Matthews was an elite edge rusher early in his career he struggled for quite some time before being move inside. With that being said I'm not advocating for lining him up at ILB again but would like Capers to move him around so he can rush the passer from different spots.

Exactly. Move him around, create mismatches. Matthews is not what he was as a pass rusher.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing I don't like about Matthews outside is that he tends to abandon the edge in an effort to get to the QB. The Pack has been gashed by a lot of edge rushes on his watch.

It's a trade-off I suppose. He is the team's best pass-rusher by far.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The one thing I don't like about Matthews outside is that he tends to abandon the edge in an effort to get to the QB. The Pack has been gashed by a lot of edge rushes on his watch.

It's a trade-off I suppose. He is the team's best pass-rusher by far.

I agree that Matthews doesn't contain the edge against the run too often. Another reason why I want Capers to move him around, especially as I think that Peppers and maybe even a healthy Perry offer more solely rushing from the outside. Matthews excelled at blitzing from other spots last season though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone get the impression that we've got a glut of ROLB/pass rushing LB,s? Jones, Perry, Fackrell, Matthews, Elliot, etc. Who's gonna play strongside?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. Move him around in that Thomas Davis or Troy Polamalu mold.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone get the impression that we've got a glut of ROLB/pass rushing LB,s? Jones, Perry, Fackrell, Matthews, Elliot, etc. Who's gonna play strongside?
Peppers, Jones & Perry as "elephant" OLB's. Matthews, Elliot & Fackrell on the other side.

If CM3 is going to be moving all around, blitzing & rushing from everywhere will the D actually be a 3-3 (+ Matthews from wherever)? D-linemen need to keep the OL's occupied and 2 OLB's necessary for contain, leaving 1 ILB (+ CM3) to clean-up.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with Pkrjones that Peppers, Perry and Jones are best suited to play on the strongside.

If CM3 is going to be moving all around, blitzing & rushing from everywhere will the D actually be a 3-3 (+ Matthews from wherever)? D-linemen need to keep the OL's occupied and 2 OLB's necessary for contain, leaving 1 ILB (+ CM3) to clean-up.

I guess that Matthews would replace one of the inside linebackers in base and nickel defense if Capers decides to move him around. Mostly the defense doesn't need to worry about containing the edge against the run in the dime scheme meaning Clay could rush the passer from everywhere without changing the personnel.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Matthews doesn't contain the edge against the run too often. Another reason why I want Capers to move him around, especially as I think that Peppers and maybe even a healthy Perry offer more solely rushing from the outside. Matthews excelled at blitzing from other spots last season though.

To me, moving your best defensive player around is not a bad idea. It forces the other team to continually adjust their blocking schemes, and the more you can do that, the more likely the other team is miss an assignment.

Clay has shown he can play inside and still be effective, and the Pack appears to be deeper at OLB than ILB, so moving Matthews around makes sense to me. What McCarthy and Capers have in mind remains to be seen.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Clay has shown he can play inside and still be effective, and the Pack appears to be deeper at OLB than ILB, so moving Matthews around makes sense to me.

Matthews was excellent rushing the passer lining up inside but an average inside linebacker at best.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers, Jones & Perry as "elephant" OLB's. Matthews, Elliot & Fackrell on the other side.

Sounds good to me. Also the rotation effect; we'd always have fresh people on the field.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see a very aggressive blitzing defense this year. While the OLBs are stacked with good pass rushers. The secondary is stacked top and bottom. And the Dline has some destructive potential.....Go get it instead of letting it come to us....

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I would like to see a very aggressive blitzing defense this year.

The Packers defense has been aggressive getting after the quarterback for several years running finishing fifth twice and seventh once in blitz percentage during the last three seasons.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it till I'm blue in the face....I want to be able to line Mathews up at ILB...but NOT HAVE TO do so.

The difference is HUGE.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face....I want to be able to line Mathews up at ILB...but NOT HAVE TO do so.

The difference is HUGE.

I want the Packers to line up Matthews inside to rush the passer but not play him at inside linebacker.

HUGE difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts