Reasons for why the Packers should continue to play Matthews at ILB

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with the conclusions though I do hope a rookie will step up and be a middle linebacker. Thing is, I don't think Clay can beat the better left tackles in the league. And they are usually on the playoff teams. I like to see him move around and rush from different angles. And I would like him to rush from the left side sometimes. Especially since Peppers should be rested at times. I don't think he will be used properly if they just put him on the right side like a defensive end.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't disagree with the conclusions though I do hope a rookie will step up and be a middle linebacker. Thing is, I don't think Clay can beat the better left tackles in the league. And they are usually on the playoff teams. I like to see him move around and rush from different angles. And I would like him to rush from the left side sometimes. Especially since Peppers should be rested at times. I don't think he will be used properly if they just put him on the right side like a defensive end.

As mentioned in the article Matthews struggled for one and a half years rushing the passer before the Packers moved him inside while having excelled as a zone-blitzing ILB since the middle of the 2014 season. Therefore I hope the coaching staff will find a way to perfectly use him as a pass rusher but primarily he should be lined up as an outside linebacker though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year we still have Peppers, Perry, Elliott. So in my opinion, if we put our best 4 LBs on the field at the same time, Mathews plays ILB. Plain and simple. Unless one of Peppers/Perry gets injured. Then Mathews should move outside full time again.

Is there a option to play 3 OLBs? :) I cant imagine any OL being able to stop Peppers/Mathews/Daniels consistantly...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This year we still have Peppers, Perry, Elliott. So in my opinion, if we put our best 4 LBs on the field at the same time, Mathews plays ILB. Plain and simple. Unless one of Peppers/Perry gets injured. Then Mathews should move outside full time again.

The Packers depth chart at outside linebacker also includes Datone Jones, Lerentee McCray and Kyler Fackrell. Hopefully two of Barrington, Ryan and Martinez end up being better inside linebackers than Matthews who is average at best at the position, allowing Clay to move outside for most of the defensive snaps. The coaching staff should still be able to find ways to use him as a zone-blitzing ILB though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers depth chart at outside linebacker also includes Datone Jones, Lerentee McCray and Kyler Fackrell. Hopefully two of Barrington, Ryan and Martinez end up being better inside linebackers than Matthews who is average at best at the position, allowing Clay to move outside for most of the defensive snaps. The coaching staff should still be able to find ways to use him as a zone-blitzing ILB though.
So what do we do with Perry, Datone, and Elliott if mathews plays outside most defensive snaps? Until I see Peppers slow down, Im not going to bet against the hall of fame, icon of longevity.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So what do we do with Perry, Datone, and Elliott if mathews plays outside most defensive snaps? Until I see Peppers slow down, Im not going to bet against the hall of fame, icon of longevity.

Matthews and Peppers will for sure get the most snaps rushing the passer from the edge but the other outside linebackers will receive significant playing time as well either defending the run, once Peppers or Jones move inside in subpackages or in case of the starters getting some rest.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what do we do with Perry, Datone, and Elliott if mathews plays outside most defensive snaps?
Great question, as all 3 (& Peppers) are up for contract renewal or FA after '16 (I believe). Will they get enough snaps for the staff to accurately grade them and correctly re-sign 1 or 2? CM3 counts $13Mil in '16, $15Mil in '17 and $11Mil in '18 against the cap... is this an attempt to gauge his performance drop-off? Too much talent to put on the field in '16, but could be a dearth of talent in '17 :( .

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Great question, as all 3 (& Peppers) are up for contract renewal or FA after '16 (I believe). Will they get enough snaps for the staff to accurately grade them and correctly re-sign 1 or 2? CM3 counts $13Mil in '16, $15Mil in '17 and $11Mil in '18 against the cap... is this an attempt to gauge his performance drop-off? Too much talent to put on the field in '16, but could be a dearth of talent in '17 :( .

There´s no denying that outside linebacker will most likely be a position in need of an upgrade next offseason, especially with limited cap space available.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews and Peppers will for sure get the most snaps rushing the passer from the edge but the other outside linebackers will receive significant playing time as well either defending the run, once Peppers or Jones move inside in subpackages or in case of the starters getting some rest.
Starters will need some rest. Especially if the ILBs arent playing well again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do I want us to never line Mathews up inside? Absolutely not.

Do I want us to HAVE to line Mathews up inside, due to performance of others? Absolutely not.

Big difference. There is immense value in moving Mathews around, but that is different than having to play him somewhere.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no denying that outside linebacker will most likely be a position in need of an upgrade next offseason, especially with limited cap space available.

All this could change if between Elliot/Fackrell and McCray one or two step up...not expecting, but sure am hoping!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

All this could change if between Elliot/Fackrell and McCray one or two step up...not expecting, but sure am hoping!

Well, both Elliot and McCray are set to become free agents in 2017 as well. Currently Matthews and Fackrell are the only outside linebackers under contract beyond next season. The front office will have to address the position one way or another only months from now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, both Elliot and McCray are set to become free agents in 2017 as well. Currently Matthews and Fackrell are the only outside linebackers under contract beyond next season. The front office will have to address the position one way or another only months from now.

I don't see either of them playing their way out of a contract though unless they explode. Even if they do though Clay isn't getting younger and I foresee atleast 2 if not 3 OLB added in the offseason through FA and Draft minimum.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see either of them playing their way out of a contract though unless they explode. Even if they do though Clay isn't getting younger and I foresee atleast 2 if not 3 OLB added in the offseason through FA and Draft minimum.

Once again, with only two outside linebackers under contract for the 2017 season the front office will have to add at least four others at the position. With limited cap space available it will be tough to achieve that with veterans only though meaning the Packers will probably have to apend an early round pick on the position.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Mathews being cut an option? There are a lot of big contributors up for contract in 2017.

Random scenario. Fast forward to next year, because this is a superbowl year... But in 2017 we dont have Peppers, Perry, Datone. But more concerning, and IMO a higher priority to rebuild is the fact Sitton, Lang, and Bahk are FAs... Add Lacy to that list... Also Hyde, Tretter, and new TE Cook will need consideration. That is a very expensive list... a substantial part of our core....

So Fast forward to 2017. If we trade Mathews who is still at the top of his game IMO. Not only do we gain 11 mil a year in 17 and 18 with only 4.1mil dead cap in 17 and none in 18. Allowing us to keep younger , more affordable contributors like Lacy, Perry, or Datone....

Besides that, Im sure with 2 years left on his reasonable deal. Mathews would net us AT LEAST a mid-to high 1st round pick... That would justify the 4mil in dead cap space. plus some.

Thoughts?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, with only two outside linebackers under contract for the 2017 season the front office will have to add at least four others at the position. With limited cap space available it will be tough to achieve that with veterans only though meaning the Packers will probably have to apend an early round pick on the position.
With Sitton, Lang, Bahk, and his top back up Tretter al up for contracts too... Can we afford to spend a 1st rounder on OLB next year? Rodgers might have something to say about all that stuff.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Is Mathews being cut an option? There are a lot of big contributors up for contract in 2017.

Random scenario. Fast forward to next year, because this is a superbowl year... But in 2017 we dont have Peppers, Perry, Datone. But more concerning, and IMO a higher priority to rebuild is the fact Sitton, Lang, and Bahk are FAs... Add Lacy to that list... Also Hyde, Tretter, and new TE Cook will need consideration. That is a very expensive list... a substantial part of our core....

So Fast forward to 2017. If we trade Mathews who is still at the top of his game IMO. Not only do we gain 11 mil a year in 17 and 18 with only 4.1mil dead cap in 17 and none in 18. Allowing us to keep younger , more affordable contributors like Lacy, Perry, or Datone....

Besides that, Im sure with 2 years left on his reasonable deal. Mathews would net us AT LEAST a mid-to high 1st round pick... That would justify the 4mil in dead cap space. plus some.

Thoughts?

Even with limited cap space there's no reason to trade the only elite player on defense.

With Sitton, Lang, Bahk, and his top back up Tretter al up for contracts too... Can we afford to spend a 1st rounder on OLB next year? Rodgers might have something to say about all that stuff.

The Packers drafted Spriggs and Murphy in April as well as re-signed Taylor before the start of free agency. With Bulaga and Linsley under contract for 2017 the front office still has work cut out for them on the offensive line as well but the picture doesn't look as bleak as at OLB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Mathews being cut an option? There are a lot of big contributors up for contract in 2017...

Besides that, Im sure with 2 years left on his reasonable deal. Mathews would net us AT LEAST a mid-to high 1st round pick... That would justify the 4mil in dead cap space. plus some.Thoughts?
That's why I threw his cap #'s in my post above... gotta wonder what the GB future of CM3 is. Elliot, Jones, Perry & McCray could use some extended playing time to see what, if anything, they have to offer in the future.

TT hates dead cap $ but $11Mil+ would help keep the OLine a bit more stable and keep 1 or 2 of these experienced vets in-house.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with limited cap space there's no reason to trade the only elite player on defense.

The Packers drafted Spriggs and Murphy in April as well as re-signed Taylor before the start of free agency. With Bulaga and Linsley under contract for 2017 the front office still has work comut out for them on the offensive line as well but the picture doesn't look as bleak as at OLB.

Well the NFL seems as confident as you on Mathews elite standing. Im not as confident. he will need to be paid as an elite player to keep him past 2018 as well. Are we going to lose him then anyways?

IMO. Trade while his value is still very high. The 11 mil a year cap saving is only part of the strategy. Getting a high draft pick, who will play 4 years under a rookie deal, saves just as much maybe? The 11mil savings Being able to keep both perry and Jones would diversify the position, and make the OLB rebuild less drastic.

I dont know... I think its an option. Trade him before we lose him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I threw his cap #'s in my post above... gotta wonder what the GB future of CM3 is. Elliot, Jones, Perry & McCray could use some extended playing time to see what, if anything, they have to offer in the future.

TT hates dead cap $ but $11Mil+ would help keep the OLine a bit more stable and keep 1 or 2 of these experienced vets in-house.
I think with 2 reasonable years left on his contract. A team in need of a OLB would give a 1st rounder for him... that 4 years of rookie contract could become a huge value as well. If the 1st round pick happens to be good.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of interesting points from looking at information sites. One, he's actually listed as ILB at nfl.com and sportrac. Two, while his production is always (pick an adjective along the lines of 'really good'), it's in the even-numbered years that he excels, so if he's lights-out in 2016, does that make it easier to trade him because of his value to other teams or tougher, ala Denver and Miller?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of interesting points from looking at information sites. One, he's actually listed as ILB at nfl.com and sportrac. Two, while his production is always (pick an adjective along the lines of 'really good'), it's in the even-numbered years that he excels, so if he's lights-out in 2016, does that make it easier to trade him because of his value to other teams or tougher, ala Denver and Miller?
Mathews is contracted through 2018. So the potential trade partner would have 2 years to figure it out... He stays great for another 2 years, and he will most definately get paid. But the 2 reasonable years under contract, IMO, would be a huge incentive. You get the all pro talent at a good price for 2 years, with a 3rd franchise tag year as an option as well. You compare that to the grossly huge numbers VonMiller is going to get, and Mathews is a great value. Even if they dont retain him after the 3 years....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers drafted Spriggs and Murphy in April as well as re-signed Taylor before the start of free agency. With Bulaga and Linsley under contract for 2017 the front office still has work comut out for them on the offensive line as well but the picture doesn't look as bleak as at OLB.

Spriggs and Murphy finally fill our back up positions with reasonable talent. Now we are suposed to make them starters, and draft new rookies to back them up??? Rodgers wont survive the season....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs and Murphy finally fill our back up positions with reasonable talent. Now we are suposed to make them starters, and draft new rookies to back them up??? Rodgers wont survive the season....

Linsley (5th round) and Bahk(4th rounder)...........Linsley and Bahk both started in their rookie years and did well above what should have been expected out of rookies at some argue the toughest positions LT and C...both for different reasons.

Having Spriggs be a back up is a luxury we have, and hopefully will have the entire year, but don't let his rookie status fool you; many many teams if they'd have drafted him would have him lining up day 1.

Members online

Latest posts