Reading or reading into something.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
"'First off, Scott Tolzien did a great job for us. I can't tell you how much he was a part of not only our quarterback room, but our locker room.'"

Note McCarthy's use of the past tense in those sentences - "did" and "was." This sounded like a coach who is thanking a player for his past service to the team after he has already departed, not one who expects that player to return.

This kind of off-season word parsing just tickles my innerds. McCarthy tends to speak in the past sense because he's looking forward to NEXT season ... and LAST season should be addressed in the past tense. To me, that's just the way McCarthy is wired and that's how he verbalizes.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"'First off, Scott Tolzien did a great job for us. I can't tell you how much he was a part of not only our quarterback room, but our locker room.'"

Note McCarthy's use of the past tense in those sentences - "did" and "was." This sounded like a coach who is thanking a player for his past service to the team after he has already departed, not one who expects that player to return.

This kind of off-season word parsing just tickles my innerds. McCarthy tends to speak in the past sense because he's looking forward to NEXT season ... and LAST season should be addressed in the past tense. To me, that's just the way McCarthy is wired and that's how he verbalizes.

I agree. I don't think his use of the past tense means they have resigned themselves to the fact he will be gone. How else can you praise a player for his contributions in the past if you don't use words in the past tense?

"'First off, Scott Tolzien will do a great job for us last season. I can't tell you how much he will be a part of not only our quarterback room, but our locker room last year'" Just doesn't sound right.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I don't think his use of the past tense means they have resigned themselves to the fact he will be gone. How else can you praise a player for his contributions in the past if you don't use words in the past tense?

"'First off, Scott Tolzien will do a great job for us last season. I can't tell you how much he will be a part of not only our quarterback room, but our locker room last year'" Just doesn't sound right.

First off, tolzien does a great job for us. I can't tell you how much of a part he is for our blah blah.....
Not saying mm was being cryptic at all or his past tense meant anything. But there are other ways to say it besides "wil do" or future tense

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien is gone, I think we can see that. Move Hundley (the next franchise Packers QB) to the QB2 spot and draft a developmental guy in the later rounds.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Tolzien is gone, I think we can see that. Move Hundley (the next franchise Packers QB) to the QB2 spot and draft a developmental guy in the later rounds.
This. I was among the supporters of Tolzien last off season but with the rapid development of Hundley I don't think it makes sense to pay him what'll take to keep him. Acquire a QB or two to compete with Ryan Williams (signed last month) for the #3 job.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that I would like the Packers to bring in another QB to compete for the third spot on the depth chart but would prefer to not spend a draft pick on it.

D

Deleted member 6794

bring in Tolzien. After he doesnt get signed by another team.

The Packers like Hundley as their back-up so there's no reason for them to bring Tolzien back. In addition I would expect him wanting to compete for the starting job with a team in need of a QB.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can tolzien actually play? the few times i've seen him on tv games over here, he has had no chance in actually showing what he can do as it's only been in blowout games and he's bringing up the rear-end

D

Deleted member 6794

can tolzien actually play? the few times i've seen him on tv games over here, he has had no chance in actually showing what he can do as it's only been in blowout games and he's bringing up the rear-end

Tolzien started two games and replace Seneca Wallace in another one in 2013 when Rodgers was sidelined with a broken collarbone. While he struggled at times during those games, throwing five interceptions and only one TD pass, he proved that his arm is NFL-caliber. It was a tough spot for him, having only been signed by the Packers two months earlier after Thompson and McCarthy realized Harrell and Coleman weren´t up to the task.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a couple 6th/7th rounders or guys that may go undrafted that could fill the 3rd QB role for us. Tolzien is gone, I liked the guy and hope he gets some time elsewhere.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

McCarty speaking in the past tense doesn't mean anything, IMHO. However, I do believe that the Pack may promote Hundley to #2 QB and bring in a young guy to put on the practice squad this year. Last year Green Bay carried 3 quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, because they believed if Hundley was placed on the PS another team would grab him. It seems unlikely to me they will carry three again on the 53, and Tolzien is likely the odd man out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think MM is trying to reveal anything with the words he used answering those questions, I also don't think it's very likely that Tolzien is back with GB. I don't think they ever intended on keeping 3 QB's on the final 53, but circumstances have lead to that the past few years. We had nothing at the back up position and had to clean house at the start of the season, one guy wasn't sure to do it, so we brought in a vet and a young guy in Flynn and Tolzien.

one sure thing, one to develop. Then we knew Flynn wasn't our answer going forward, so we drafted one to develop. Well he was pretty good and there was no putting him on the PS and he wasn't yet developed enough to count on and Tolzien was. So again we went with 3. With the growth of Hundley, and the expiring of the contract for Tolzien, I think it's fairly obvious Tolzien will get a contract elsewhere and we'll go with only 2 QB's on the final 53 and a PS guy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that I think McCarthy is intentionally doing is letting any potential future coaches/GMs know that Tolzien is worth a look if they need a backup QB, and he's not on our roster.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The next franchise QB? He doesn't have a chance of seeing the field if Rodgers decides to play until he's 40.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has paid his dues. Now that he is engaged to that smokin hot babe of his. He needs to lock it up with a Hollywood sized canary diamond (with emrald little ones/Go Packers...) RING! He will have locked in a perfect 12 with a lucrative lifetime deal.... Winning...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The next franchise QB? He doesn't have a chance of seeing the field if Rodgers decides to play until he's 40.
Luckily, Rodgers is shifty and is able to minimize the impact of sacks that he takes - rarely getting laid out. That said, all it takes is one good hit so end a career so Hundley may indeed be that guy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, tolzien does a great job for us. I can't tell you how much of a part he is for our blah blah.....
Not saying mm was being cryptic at all or his past tense meant anything. But there are other ways to say it besides "wil do" or future tense

But if he is specifically talking about last season you have to use the past tense.

Members online

Latest posts