Rating Players in the Draft

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be going out on a limb here, but teams probably rate them by how good they think they’re going to be. And shoe size in relation to IQ but only if the inverse square of their ACT score is equal to the width of the hair on their head.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players are scored and not ranked, not compared to each other.

Check this out:

Www.powerhousegm.com/blog/nfl-draft-prospect-grading-systems

There isnt necessarily a number 2 and a number 8 player on the board. That works well for websites but not draftboards.

Interesting read but the grades are fine to evaluate the players but at some point you have to decide on which one you would take and that implies a ranking system. If you have 2 players with the same grade you are going to choose one over the other. What tips the scales towards one or the other. Also I'm sure there have been instances where players with lower grades were chosen ahead of players with higher grades. Again implying a ranking.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting read but the grades are fine to evaluate the players but at some point you have to decide on which one you would take and that implies a ranking system. If you have 2 players with the same grade you are going to choose one over the other. What tips the scales towards one or the other. Also I'm sure there have been instances where players with lower grades were chosen ahead of players with higher grades. Again implying a ranking.
I know that during the TT years they went strictly BPA. At each pick there would be several players equally rated. A debate would sometimes occur with nobody knowing for sure till TT pulled the trigger.

Why cant there be 2 guys who are equally good or 8 guys for that matter? Selecting one of them doesnt make one better than the other. The board has to be dynamic based on how the draft unfolds.

2 obvious reasons players are rated: planning and trades.

Planning: As the draft falls, our pick may change. Suppose we have 8 players rated as 6.4 and 5 are left at our NO pick 32. The next teir, 12 players are at 6.3 and one will be there at 2.12. Knowing we are getting a 6.3 and a 6.4, you may select different positions. We may want a 5T and a S with these picks and there is only 1 S but 4 DEs in 6.3 teir. Therefore, we take a S at 1.32 knowing we have a better shot at a DE at 2.12 than a safety.

Or what if we have a single BPA at 1.12 an OLB and we take him. We probably dont want another with either our next 2 picks.

The other reason to rate is Trades. You cant evaluate a trade unless you understand the quality of player you can expect to get at the picks in play.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that during the TT years they went strictly BPA. At each pick there would be several players equally rated. A debate would sometimes occur with nobody knowing for sure till TT pulled the trigger.

Why cant there be 2 guys who are equally good or 8 guys for that matter? Selecting one of them doesnt make one better than the other. The board has to be dynamic based on how the draft unfolds.

2 obvious reasons players are rated: planning and trades.

Planning: As the draft falls, our pick may change. Suppose we have 8 players rated as 6.4 and 5 are left at our NO pick 32. The next teir, 12 players are at 6.3 and one will be there at 2.12. Knowing we are getting a 6.3 and a 6.4, you may select different positions. We may want a 5T and a S with these picks and there is only 1 S but 4 DEs in 6.3 teir. Therefore, we take a S at 1.32 knowing we have a better shot at a DE at 2.12 than a safety.

Or what if we have a single BPA at 1.12 an OLB and we take him. We probably dont want another with either our next 2 picks.

The other reason to rate is Trades. You cant evaluate a trade unless you understand the quality of player you can expect to get at the picks in play.
I believe with TT, if he had 5 players on a tier at #32, he'd try to trade down to #36 or so and take what is left as well as get maybe another 4th or 5th. Why we got King and not Watt, and how he ended up with Lacey IIRC.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe with TT, if he had 5 players on a tier at #32, he'd try to trade down to #36 or so and take what is left as well as get maybe another 4th or 5th. Why we got King and not Watt, and how he ended up with Lacey IIRC.
If he could find a trade partner. It makes more sense if the current teir doesnt have any players at a position of need.

Members online