1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raji to start at NT; Pickett, at DE

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackersRS, May 19, 2010.

1. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
  2. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Just got off reading the same thing at cheeseheadtv.com. It's being reported that this move is permanent. By "permanent" I think it means that they'll start off the season with Raji at NT and Pickett at DE but over the course of the season if it doesn't work then they'll start re-rotating them. I'm not a big fan of the flip flopping of positions but to me it seems that since they have so much invested in Raji, there has to be some way of getting him on the field.

RS you're right in that Pickett doesn't really offer much pass rush but I think they made him move to DE to attain more gap control. Meaning that the coaches want the DEs to be more inclined to open up blitz lanes for the LBs rather than let the D-lineman rush by themselves and fail in the process. It kind of explains the Mike Neal pick too. On Neal's scouting report it said his greatest asset is to eat up the C/G double team which allows the LB to come in free.

In other news I'm hearing that Justin Harrell is really being worked on by Mike Tragovic. It'll be interesting to see how much he can get out of Harrell this season.

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I've had the same thought once it settled down.

Being Jones slimmer than the usual OLB, it makes sense to have a 2gap DE in his side...

4. claybillings

claybillings Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Even though it makes sense it just seems odd to have Pickett on the outside after he played so well last year at NT. But hell maybe Raji can surprise us and show us some pass rush ability right up the middle at the QB, which could help to push him to the outside where Pickett has picked up blocks and Jones/Matthews are free to sack the quarterback.

I'm just wondering if it will have a negative effect on our 2nd ranked rush defense.

5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I thought our run defense was great with the current lineup, and adding Neal, Wilson, and possibly Harrell can only help them stay fresh.

I don't want them to change anything except for the pass rush.
    Well that and kicking Jarrett Bush's *** to the curb.

6. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree, but during camp, they'll be able to see how it works, and if its not up to par, they wont do it come the start of the regular season, butit cant hurt to give it a try...

By the way Rizzo, I love the M&M QB killers, if only it would happen.. that would be insane..

7. claybillings

claybillings Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    According to the Journal Sentinel, Bush was running with the 1st team CB's yesterday. I swear this guy has dirt on EVERYONE

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    LOL at that.

And according to Bedard, Trgovac made Harrell his personal "project", consistantly yelling at him and correcting him...

9. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    You know George H. Bush ran the CIA in the old days before he was president....you don't think there is any relation.....naaaaa

10. Moshtradamus

Moshtradamus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I really dont buy into this. Maybe thats how its set for now but overall when the season starts I see Raji and Pickett splitting time evenly at NT. It just doesnt make much sense to change something that worked so well last year. I think the Neal pick I think will end up playing more of a factor at DE than Pickett will come the end of the year.

You also cant forget about Harrell. And for the record I hate Harrell but I think he has the build to play a 3-4 end and could be a decent rotational end.

11. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I agree 100%, nothing is set in stone until September. This is Dom Capers' defense and he loves confusion and versality so I doubt this switchup of Raji and Pickett's positions are "permanent" according to Bedard. At this point Harrell must stay healthy AND fight for a starting spot in order to stay on this team for the next couple of years. I want him to be good rotational lineman but as a first round pick his priority should be to start.

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I think Bedard quoted Capers himself when saying it was permanent...

And I'd have to say, considering all that's happening, Pickett will be the week 1 starter as DE in the base...

But a couple of things:

1) We play base very little. I doubt Pickett will play sub packages.
    2) Someone could bery well take his spot, much like CM3 took Poppinga's...

So, yeah, the move is permanent, as permament as anything is in the NFL...

13. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +298
    jarret bush............made big ben and Kurt Warner look like a GOD, can't stand big ben, can't stand jarret bush either, i really wanted patrick wilson but hopefully bulaga will contribute well, yet may people are expecting bulaga to not bc he shorter arms

14. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Why do you hate Harrell? Was he rude to you or cut you off in traffic? If your hate is because he has injury issues or he was a wasted pick then your angst is directed in the wrong direction! :no2:

15. Moshtradamus

Moshtradamus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    No I hate him. My anger is aimed in the right direction. He had the ability to be one of the better defensive lineman in the league especially when you go back and look at what he had done before he was drafted (And his collegiate injuries). Sure he was a reach but only because of his collegiate inujury did he fall. Much like Jahvid Best this year. Harrell can play he just cant keep himself in condition to do so.

16. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    I'm not sure what this means for pickett or our other DE's but this is definaley a sign that RAJI is becoming a beast in the middle.

17. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    How much evaluation can they have made out of unpadded practices???

I believe it's more that they HOPE he becomes a beast...

18. Moshtradamus

Moshtradamus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I was thinking the same thing. The one thing that sticks out in my mind the most was when he got ran over by Kyle Boller vs the Rams (I think it was Boller vs the Rams). I was just shaking my head but I think you could see Raji improve as the season went on and Im interested to see him at NT and driving the line backwards. Im sure Pickett will give him pointers as they go along as well so I have high hopes also.

19. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    You hate a guy cuz he hurt his back in the weight room!? Unbelievable. You sound silly and vindictive to say such a thing. You sound like it was HIS fault that he injured himself! TT should never had chosen him at that point in the draft knowing his injury history. But from eveything I've ever heard about Harrell he is a hard worker and a good kid who has been bit by the injury bug and has been unable to get on the field.

20. AlDay31

AlDay31 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think for Raji, the sky is the limit. There was some plays he made(the one vs. Detroit was my favorite Pack play last year) which kinda justify the high pick and the predraft hype. Gotta consider he missed weeks of TC last year, and he had to battle some injuries throughout preseason.
    But it has to be seen if he can play 40-50 snaps a game without takin' some offplays and gettin' run over.
    But anyways, if Raji can just use a full offseason and TC and improve adequatly, and all DLinemen(including #90 of course) profiting from the rotation on defensive-line with all the other newly acquired DEs, we should have a pretty scary DLine next season.

21. Moshtradamus

Moshtradamus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    First: Relax
    Second: I dont know why exactly I hate the dude I just do. I dont like him. I dont hate TT. He has made some really good picks also and with that you gotta take the bad. But its up to the players to perform. TT cant go out there and play for them. He cant keep them healthy. Thats the players job.

22. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Mosh I think Pugger's just joking around lol. Everyone here knows that Harrell's the biggest bust on our team.

23. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, he's a bust and a disappointment but I think it is silly to hate the guy. I can't believe he likes being a bust and injured all the time. I know I wouldn't. Hate the fact that he can't contribute but don't hate the individual.

24. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Pugger it's not like you know Justin Harrell personally (if you do then please correct me if I'm wrong.) There's no telling what's going on in this guy's head. Of course noone would like the idea of calling themselves a bust but who knows? We already saw this in Jamarcus Russell, a guy who stole $40 million from the Raiders franchise. Imo I beleive Russell never really had the intention of playing like a true professional. He had no work ethic or commitment. He probably was planning this all along: to get drafted really high, hold out for a super duper contract that would set him up for life, and not play at all. Well I guess it worked because now he's not even making an attempt to even come back. Forgive me for the rant but this is just how I feel of some players not living up to their expectations. What are their true intentions? Nobody knows.

25. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know Harrell personally either but I guess I'm giving him the benefit of a doubt as far as his wanting to play. It is a darn shame he injured himself so we'll probably never know what could have been. Oh well...