Question...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Do you think there is any chance the Packers signed either of the two recent safeties hoping that other teams will see that and let a safety slide if they think they could get him in the second round?

I think its doubtful because thats kind of a waste of cash, well it is, theres no kind of about it. It does make a little sense though if say a team has two picks in the first round, one before and one after the Packers.

I dunno, maybe I just need to go to sleep.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahaha...yeah i don't buy that for second.

i do think some scouts/teams make negative comments about college talent in hopes to deter another teams interest.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is TT has added some adequate (not great) depth at the safety spot, so he doesn't have to reach for a safety in the draft. If a good safety is available when we pick, I hope TT grabs him. But if a good one isn't available in the draft when we pick, TT can grab the best player available at another position instead of reaching for a need. I hate reaching for needs. Drafting a need that isn't any good doesn't help the team any. Jamal Reynolds taught me that. So I like signing these safties just in case a good one isn't around when we pick.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't want to get forced into anything at the draft.

Bubba
Barnnett
Walker
Carroll

They were all "forced" picks. I run on players at one or 2 positions will let a great player drop to #24. Mr. Thompson is looking for acquiring the best value.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest point of contention is how often we've seen Number 1 picks turn out to be busts.... In fact, it's gotten so bad of late that quite often (Big Ben the exception) almost everyone drafted in the 1st round has gotten off to bad starts or never turned into anything. Besides Rothlesberger, how many other QB's turned out to be more than just a promise - Manning looks to be a project in NY - And, with Brees finally focused - SD seems to have more than what it needs at that spot and the Rookie may never get to start over there.... to the waste of some significant Cap room.... How many Rookie RB's have become stars in the last year? Or two even, for that matter? No - I think TT has it figured out - in fact, rumor has it TT may trade down in the first round... Yeah, you heard me right - there is a chance he'll give up the 24th spot... But, we'll see - it's only a couple of days away now...

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In response to: How many QB's turned out to be more than just a promise?

...from BRUCE on the Chronicle board ...

So what does history tell us the return on drafting QB in the 1st round has been? Not as much as many of you would may believe.

Going back to 1990, twenty-six QBs have been drafted in the first round, and every time each QB was offered up as "the future" or

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the Jim Plunkett mention - Did you see on Inside the NFL - where Peter King refused to say Plunkett should be allowed into the HOF? Even though, as you mention, there's two SB's....(?) His reasoning was that he only had one stellar year at the QB position. Come back?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts