Quentin Nelson

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Nelson is available at pick 14 do you select him? If available I would select Nelson. I know to many other needs to select an OG with your top pick but my god Nelson is a beast. I would put him at RG. Nelson would immediately become a starter and in my opinion a high quality starter. Nelson is very good at pass protection as well as run blocking. Nelson plays physical and with a nasty streak.

I know this is not the **** pick but you want your first round pick to have an impact. Nelson would have an impact. Thus team has many holes and needs but if available I believe you can not pass on Nelson.

Would like to hear thoughts on this.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Gute is selecting not TT but he learned from him. TT never picked interior OL early. I'd expect that to follow. Competent OL can get selected day 3 so no need to draft one on day one. The Packers already can plug and play enough competency to be an above average OL without a #1 pick there. IMO, even a Joe Thomas -well maybe- would be worth it to this team.

Reaction score
I highly doubt it. While we have some obvious concerns on the O Line, OG generally isn’t a position of overall top 14 value. Maybe if a team needed an OT. Particularly a blindside, they’re valued much higher in the 1st round.

Also for the above reasons that Poppa mentioned good O Guards tend to slide down the totem pole a bit more. I generally wouldn’t consider one until 2nd day and probably end of the 2nd day at that or later and we might just very well be surprised and see an OG picked 2nd day if the right guy falls to us. My gut tells me this could happen this year, especially if we grab a solid TE in FA it puts an early move at Guard more plausible Just my Opinion but a don’t think I haven’t thought it through earlier because Nelson is quite an athlete.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute is selecting not TT but he learned from him. TT never picked interior OL early. I'd expect that to follow. Competent OL can get selected day 3 so no need to draft one on day one. The Packers already can plug and play enough competency to be an above average OL without a #1 pick there. IMO, even a Joe Thomas -well maybe- would be worth it to this team.

By all reports Nelson is set to become the Joe Thomas of offensive guards by that I mean a future hall of famer. So I guess the question becomes how much more is hall of fame guard play worth than competent guard play. For me a lot of guys have to be off the board but if they are I take nelson. Those players are Barkley, Chubb, Davenport, Jackson, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, but if they're gone and they likely will be I think I take nelson only thing is nelson is likely to be gone as well

D

Deleted member 6794

If Nelson is available at pick 14 do you select him? If available I would select Nelson. I know to many other needs to select an OG with your top pick but my god Nelson is a beast. I would put him at RG. Nelson would immediately become a starter and in my opinion a high quality starter. Nelson is very good at pass protection as well as run blocking. Nelson plays physical and with a nasty streak.

I know this is not the **** pick but you want your first round pick to have an impact. Nelson would have an impact. Thus team has many holes and needs but if available I believe you can not pass on Nelson.

Would like to hear thoughts on this.

The Packers have too many holes at other, more important positions to address. Therefore it would make no sense to select a guard with their highest pick in nine years.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
By all reports Nelson is set to become the Joe Thomas of offensive guards by that I mean a future hall of famer. So I guess the question becomes how much more is hall of fame guard play worth than competent guard play. For me a lot of guys have to be off the board but if they are I take nelson. Those players are Barkley, Chubb, Davenport, Jackson, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, but if they're gone and they likely will be I think I take nelson only thing is nelson is likely to be gone as well
To me it boils down to whether a HOF caliber OG improves the existing team so much more than say a probowl caliber TE or WR would. I do not think so. And yes I know they are not mutually exclusive.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they get a guy that contributes at a fairly high level right away and ends up in the HOF, I guess I don't care what position he plays.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have too many holes at other, more important positions to address. Therefore it would make no sense to select a guard with their highest pick in nine years.

So even if the front office believes nelson is the best player in the draft, a future hall of famer they should select a lesser player simply because of the position they play?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it boils down to whether a HOF caliber OG improves the existing team so much more than say a probowl caliber TE or WR would. I do not think so. And yes I know they are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah I'd rather have the pro bowl receiver or tight end or pass rusher or cornerback. I'm just not sure there will be one there to draft at 14. We know for sure there is no tight end worth taking at 14. Also it's about the likely hood that the projection to a pro bowler will actually happen. It seems the bust potential of nelson would be a lot less than say Josh Jackson or even Marcus Davenport. Nelson's floor seems to be long time quality starter while the floor of Jackson and Davenport is complete non contributor along the lines of Ahmad Carrol or Jamal Reynolds. Idk I'm not into guards either but it seems like he might be the best player available when the clock starts ticking on pick 14.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I listed in another thread, the only players I draft ahead of Nelson are Barkley, Chubb, and Fitzpatrick. He would provide an immediate boost to our run and pass game. You can't pass up talent like that for a need pick. If Spriggs builds on last season, we could have a very impressive offensive line.

But this is moot. He will be gone early and I wouldn't advocate trading up for him. But if by some miracle he us there at 14, yeah, you don't hesitate to make him a Packer.

Reaction score
He’s gonna protect #12 which I’ve always preached is a priority and he’s going to make life easier for our RB for at least 5 years so Im not Anti-Quentin Nelson.
Conversely, I think we have a unique opportunity to give Pettine a solid starting caliber Rookie Defender to implement in his new system and #14 should conceivably do just that .
I think we need to at minimum fix this Defense now and we don’t have the FA cap space to do it all. We should be able to get one solid starter in FA (hopefully CB) and another at #14 that will go a long ways on what I deem will be a 2yr plan to solidify our D.
We have adequate personnel to hold down the fort this year at O line. I’m expecting one surprise O-line pick in the 3rd or 4th round and then another before we wrap up things up to give us some good competition with the returning players.

D

Deleted member 6794

So even if the front office believes nelson is the best player in the draft, a future hall of famer they should select a lesser player simply because of the position they play?

Yes, I don't consider the guard position to be important enough for the Packers to spend their first round pick on it, especially considering the team desperately needs to improve at edge rusher and cornerback.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I don't consider the guard position to be important enough for the Packers to spend their first round pick on it, especially considering the team desperately needs to improve at edge rusher and cornerback.
For this year, but what about 2020-2022? How good is your team if you spend all your picks on Dean Lawrys to fill a need you had 2 years ago and passing on Mike Daniels?

Nelson will help in so many ways. OL on both sides don't have to worry about helping him. He brings an infectious aggressive attitude. On average, RBs will have an extra 0.5 ybc and WR swill have an extra 0.25 seconds to get open.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m curious— would any of those who would pass on Nelson also pass on Barkley or Roquan Smith or Derwin James?

D

Deleted member 6794

For this year, but what about 2020-2022? How good is your team if you spend all your picks on Dean Lawrys to fill a need you had 2 years ago and passing on Mike Daniels?

The Packers has been extremely successful during Rodgers' tenure as the starting quarterback without having spent a first rounder on a guard in the past. I don't see the need to change that right now with a number of other, more important positions in need of an upgrade.

I’m curious— would any of those who would pass on Nelson also pass on Barkley or Roquan Smith or Derwin James?

I would definitely want the Packers to either draft Barkley or James if one of them is still on the board at #14. I'm not sure Smith would present the best value at that point though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers has been extremely successful during Rodgers' tenure as the starting quarterback without having spent a first rounder on a guard in the past. I don't see the need to change that right now with a number of other, more important positions in need of an upgrade.

I would definitely want the Packers to either draft Barkley or James if one of them is still on the board at #14. I'm not sure Smith would present the best value at that point though.

I agree that there isn’t a need to change the approach at guard under Campen, but there comes a point where the value is so good that you do it anyways, in my opinion. If you can get a guy who is an elite pass protector like Sitton while also being an elite run blocker, I would say that’s enough value added to make the pick easily. If you’re getting Zack Martin, it’s worth it.

I brought up the other players just by way of making the point that the league seems to value OG more than RB, SS, or LB. It’s conventional wisdom that guard isn’t valued in the league, but the money that’s being handed out says otherwise. So if guard isn’t valuable enough to draft at 14, then why are people fine with running backs or SS/LB’s?

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way we shouldn't take Nelson is if someone else fell into our laps as well (like Fitzpatrick, Chubb, maybe Edmunds)... With Jahri Evans thinking retirement, we might be looking for another guard already... so why not fill the spot for the next 10 years and have our OL pretty much set with (Bakh, Taylor, Lindsey, Nelson, ???? LT). Would love to see a top notch defensive player drop into our laps which likely will happen if the expected QB run happens, but if Nelson drops down to us at #14... there are only a few players that should be taken in front of him at our current spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that there isn’t a need to change the approach at guard under Campen, but there comes a point where the value is so good that you do it anyways, in my opinion. If you can get a guy who is an elite pass protector like Sitton while also being an elite run blocker, I would say that’s enough value added to make the pick easily. If you’re getting Zack Martin, it’s worth it.

In my opinion it's not worth drafting a guard even if he's as talented as Zack Martin as long as that results in the Packers passing on possible Pro Bowl edge rusher or cornerback.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In my opinion it's not worth drafting a guard even as talented as Zack Martin if that results in the Packers passing on possible Pro Bowl edge rusher or cornerback.

I agree, however various prospects offer differing levels of risk. If it was drafting Nelson vs somehow acquiring an edge or corner that we already know is good, then I’d choose the latter. If it was Nelson vs an edge or corner prospect of the same pedigree, I’d choose the latter. But if it’s Nelson vs an edge or corner who seem to offer a much higher risk than Nelson (e.g. Landry, Davenport, Jackson, etc), I’ll take the stud guard. The positional value is offset, for me, by his overall dominance and high probability of success.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, however various prospects offer differing levels of risk. If it was drafting Nelson vs somehow acquiring an edge or corner that we already know is good, then I’d choose the latter. If it was Nelson vs an edge or corner prospect of the same pedigree, I’d choose the latter. But if it’s Nelson vs an edge or corner who seem to offer a much higher risk than Nelson (e.g. Landry, Davenport, Jackson, etc), I’ll take the stud guard. The positional value is offset, for me, by his overall dominance and high probability of success.

While I understand your point of view I don't share the same opinion. ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quickest way to the QB is interior line pressure.

If you can get me a guy at 14 that might be the best chance to battle guys like Aaron Donald, sign me up.

Nelson won't be there though.

OP
OP
L

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched Nelson at combine. WOW. I just don't think he will be there at 14 but if by chance he is I take him.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
Nelson is probably the surest thing in this draft along with Minkah.....this is all a moot point because there isn't a chance in hell he makes it past Chicago at #8.

Members online

Latest posts