Quarless lined up at FB

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seen it a few times last night after an announced mentioned it once. In essence TE is just a FB who plays on the line and catches more than he blocks (now days)...

But oh man, we could read into this...

Ripkowski not needed?
orrrrrr......

Next year our TE's will simply absorb the FB position? Keep 4 TEs this year and Kuhn. Next year draft a couple "blocking" TEs and keep the best of the bunch? Thats a long shot, but it was spoke of in the past of getting rid of the FB position completely...?

Or this has happened many times in the past and i never really paid attention? nothing new? :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been putting TE's in the backfield for a few years now, it's not new

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Mondio is absolutely right - this really isn't worthy of a thread, is it? The Packers lined up a TE in the backfield in the 2011 playoffs.

H

HardRightEdge

Mondio is absolutely right - this really isn't worthy of a thread, is it? The Packers lined up a TE in the backfield in the 2011 playoffs.
Correct. And if I may, I'll add a few points.

TEs who perform this function are called "H-backs", short for "hybrid back". Nowadays, most teams don't even have a FB on the roster...H-back is the predominant personnel approach when using a blocking "back".

The Packers have tired and tried to find a TE who can perform this function. Taylor, Quarless, now Rodgers over the past few years. The fact that Kuhn, who was nearly invisible in the offense in the first half of last season, was brought off the bench for a fair number of snaps after the bye is a telling indication of how well the FB-to-H-back transition has been going.