Projecting Regression in the NFC North

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers 10-6...no four leaf clover this season. Did AR no favors by not getting a WR2 for him to expand the offense, and I think LaFleur might be in hot water if they do worse than 10-6. I am not all in yet on this idea of a TN Titan offense with a future HOF QB that still has some gas left in the tank.
Vikings 10-6...had an outstanding draft, and are well coached...even w Kazoo Cousins this team has scary potential to contend.
Bears 10-6...I know this is fortuitous but if Foles stays healthy and breathes life into the offense, it is a good bet they go above .500.
Lions 8-8...Stafford while very good at some point will start slowing down as he has had a few bad injuries. The big question is on Defense.
I don’t see all 4 teams finishing .500 or better. I suspect the Vikings will struggle defensively early on. The Lions are more likely to go 6-10 than 8-8 imo.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be such a **** show this year I'm not predicting anything but 19-0 for the Packers in a season i don't even think gets finished. How's that:)

the first month every year sees teams that look like world beaters and teams look like trash only to have the trash rise to the top by years end and the world beaters to crash back to earth after week 5.

I see so many guys dropping like flies once the season starts. they aren't doing anything in practice. They aren't going to be ready to play games. the first month sucks anyway because nobody plays in preseason. Now you don't even get the young guys ready because they barely have any practices let alone preseason game experience.

Then comes fall and cold and flu season and cases rising and unless people say enough is enough, they'll have no choice but to cancel. Although there is a ton of money involved so unlike schools that will just get the tax dollars open or closed, they may give the NFL a different set of rules to play with and play out a different agenda in the media to make it more palatable to the masses to allow them to play to keep the cash flowing with TV revenue and such.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If all 16 games are played. Here is how I see the division shaking out.
Packers 9-7. Can't stop the run
Vikings 9-7 Look great against no pass rush.
Bears 8-8 Bears defense will keep them in every game.
Lions 7-9 Defense is suspect but they have weapons.
Packers will win the tie breaker and be one and done in the playoffs. Niners have shown the league how to throttle the Packers. Keep it on the ground and throw to the TE. That's why I don't see the Packer as no better than the 6th best team in the NFC.

There you have it. 4 mediocre teams. They all have big weaknesses that can be exploited by good teams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So overall, I am guessing that the division stacks up:
  1. Packers: 10-6
  2. Vikings: 8-8
  3. Lions: 7-9
  4. Bears: 7-9
I would argue that negative regression is coming for the entire division, with the exception of Detroit, who could see a lot more luck in 2020.

What say you?
Given GB's schedule, I'd say 10 wins is about right, maybe 9. The Vikes have a terrible OL and that hasn't improved much in the offseason. As for the Bears, this is what happens when you trade away the future for one player, even a superstar. The Lions? Who knows. They never seem to play up to their potential.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given GB's schedule, I'd say 10 wins is about right, maybe 9. The Vikes have a terrible OL and that hasn't improved much in the offseason. As for the Bears, this is what happens when you trade away the future for one player, even a superstar. The Lions? Who knows. They never seem to play up to their potential.

One of these years, the Lions are going play like a football team. I predict this will be the year (and I will continue to predict this until it happens).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit played well a several years ago and got completely ripped off by the refs in Dallas in the playoffs. And now they have Geronimo.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not as simple for the Bears. You have to catastrophically blow it as well when choosing your QB of the future and pass up a HOF level talent at QB like Mahomes in doing so.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit played well a several years ago and got completely ripped off by the refs in Dallas in the playoffs. And now they have Geronimo.

I think Geronimo opted out due to COVID-19.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Geronimo opted out due to COVID-19.
He did, due to a new born baby and not wanting to risk COVID he wrote this: "with still so much uncertainty around this very scary virus and the intense desire to protect the health and well-being of my family, I have decided to opt out of this season."

I would be surprised if he cracked another teams starting lineup, especially after taking this season off. His playing days in the NFL might be done.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 games in and the regression has been seen for the Vikings for sure. The Lions were the team many expected to do better and that hasnt happened. The Bears and Packers are both 2-0 but have not played much in terms of competition. The Bears easily could be 0-2 even with that bad competition. I would not be surprised at all to see only one team above .500 in the division.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
2 games in and the regression has been seen for the Vikings for sure. The Lions were the team many expected to do better and that hasnt happened. The Bears and Packers are both 2-0 but have not played much in terms of competition. The Bears easily could be 0-2 even with that bad competition. I would not be surprised at all to see only one team above .500 in the division.

The Bears are 2-0, but are only +8 in scoring margin. The Packers are +30.

Expectation for the Lions to improve made sense with Stafford coming back, but they didn't really improve the roster much otherwise. They made a lot of lateral moves, losing one player and adding another that is basically comparable.

The Vikings made a serious error when they get rid of Diggs. They now have three guys who are primarily slot receivers, Theilen, Jefferson, and Sharpe, and they run 11 personnel (i.e. use a slot) less than almost anyone.

Cousins was 11/26 for 113 yards and 3 INT yesterday. Oof. One pick was a desperation heave at the end of the half and another was off the receivers hands, but multiple other passes were dropped INT's, so the line is pretty accurate to the kind of day he had.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point in the season here is how the North stacks up

Packers do not look to be regressing but they still have a little prove. They have not played a very tough schedule outside of New Orleans - the other teams are combined 2-12 or something. However the Packers did win without much from Kenny Clark and Devante Adams who were two of their top 3 players last year.

The Bears won over some people with the win against the Buccaneers. Their next 6 games will determine a lot - Rams, Saints, Panthers, Titans, Vikings, Packers. If they go 4-2 they look like a thread. 3-3 and the playoffs seem like a good bet. 2-4 and they are fighting for a playoff spot. 1-5 or worse than they are what we thought they were. I see 2-4 in that schedule but I have been wrong on them a lot this year.

The Lions just are not very impressive but they do have a pretty favorable schedule coming up. Only 2 winning teams over their next 7. Maybe they can fight back to .500 or so and fight for the last playoff spot.

The Vikings are about as close to being done as possible. They likely would need to go 8-3 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. So only 3 losses with the Bears twice, Packers, Saints, Panthers, and Buccaneers and that would also mean winning all of them against the Lions twice, Jaguars, Cowboys and Falcons. If Cook misses some time with injury (which history tells us will happen) they are more likely to be picking top 7 in the draft than making any sort of run

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point in the season here is how the North stacks up

Packers do not look to be regressing but they still have a little prove. They have not played a very tough schedule outside of New Orleans - the other teams are combined 2-12 or something. However the Packers did win without much from Kenny Clark and Devante Adams who were two of their top 3 players last year.

The Bears won over some people with the win against the Buccaneers. Their next 6 games will determine a lot - Rams, Saints, Panthers, Titans, Vikings, Packers. If they go 4-2 they look like a thread. 3-3 and the playoffs seem like a good bet. 2-4 and they are fighting for a playoff spot. 1-5 or worse than they are what we thought they were. I see 2-4 in that schedule but I have been wrong on them a lot this year.

The Lions just are not very impressive but they do have a pretty favorable schedule coming up. Only 2 winning teams over their next 7. Maybe they can fight back to .500 or so and fight for the last playoff spot.

The Vikings are about as close to being done as possible. They likely would need to go 8-3 the rest of the way to make the playoffs. So only 3 losses with the Bears twice, Packers, Saints, Panthers, and Buccaneers and that would also mean winning all of them against the Lions twice, Jaguars, Cowboys and Falcons. If Cook misses some time with injury (which history tells us will happen) they are more likely to be picking top 7 in the draft than making any sort of run
Sorry, but the thought of the Vikings picking top 7 of the draft amuses me to no end. And thinking about it more closely, I agree with you that it is a distinct possibility. Nobody melts down with quite the panache of the Minnesota Vikings.. :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Cousins was throwing the ball really well. And if they would have thrown more in the first half; they probably would have won.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Cousins was throwing the ball really well. And if they would have thrown more in the first half; they probably would have won.
If they freaking went for the FG rather than going for it, when everyone knew they were going to run it, they would've likely won. At least Rodgers would've tried a hard count.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If they freaking went for the FG rather than going for it, when everyone knew they were going to run it, they would've likely won. At least Rodgers would've tried a hard count.

Your bad language is getting seriously out of control now !

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As I watched the Seahawks-Viking game, I was totally struggling to decide who I wanted to win/lose the game. Everything was stacked in favor of wanting both teams to lose. The Seahawks were 4-0 and I had to think about the Packers playoff spot. But the Vikings are ....the Vikings.

In the end, I loved how the Vikings lost the game. Zimmer opts not to try to kick a very short FG that puts them up by 8. Instead on 4th and 1 on the Seahawk 6, he hands the ball off to his backup running back for a run up the middle? Vikings Choke, Zimmer after being given a 3 year extension before the start of the season, is now on the hot seat! :roflmao:

Calling Raptor Man for his thoughts?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cousins normally looks good when he has a clean pocket. The Seahawks have a terrible pass rush so it was a game where Cousins should have succeeded. The Seahawks have just 9 sacks through 5 games (3 last night).

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but the thought of the Vikings picking top 7 of the draft amuses me to no end. And thinking about it more closely, I agree with you that it is a distinct possibility. Nobody melts down with quite the panache of the Minnesota Vikings.. :)

Another crazy part of them getting a high pick is the dont have their second round pick because they traded it for a one year rental in Ngakoe. Ngakoe is a free agent after this year and with the Vikings cap situation signing him would be nearly impossible without cutting a couple players.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Hilarious all of the people that thought the Vikings were going to be any good this year (not on this board, just in general).

Currently getting pantsed by the Falcons to get to 1-5.

Members online

Latest posts