Pro Football Weekly Draft Grades

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFC North is the only one stuff I'm posting. Draft grades are pointless right now anyways but in case some people need to ease their minds a little bit. I know I like too. :lol:

Chicago
With a number of holes on the offensive line, the Bears passed on a more versatile OL prospect (Branden Albert) for a short-armed, injury-risk player (OT Chris Williams) who does not fit their power ground game as well, which was surprising. Matt Forté could prove to be a solid addition if he can control his fumbling issues, although he was a bit of a reach early in the second round. Earl Bennett fits Ron Turner’s offense well as a “Z” receiver and could ease the adjustment for Vanderbilt teammate Williams. DT Marcus Harrison could turn out to be a bargain in the third round if he can stay healthy and out of trouble — two huge “ifs” that should have been more alarming after the failed Tank Johnson experiment. This draft was marked by far too many injury and character concerns to be excited about it, with S Craig Steltz, CB Zackary Bowman and WR Marcus Monk bringing value if they can stay healthy. DE Ervin Baldwin and LB Joey LaRocque could have been landed after the draft. OG Chester Adams better fits the Bears’ smashmouth style than Chris Williams, and OT Kirk Barton could be a solid seventh-round pick. The Bears did wisely address both lines, especially on offense.
Grade: C

Detroit
The Lions’ first two picks were very solid and addressed pressing concerns. Both OT Gosder Cherilus and LB Jordon Dizon possess the toughness Rod Marinelli desires and could contribute immediately. RB Kevin Smith may be pressed into action early. However, character and toughness questions were overlooked. While DT Andre Fluellen was a good scheme fit for Marinelli’s defense, he has been too injury-prone. LB Cliff Avril and WR Kenny Moore could prove to be solid middle-round values, but the Lions’ last three picks, which included the popular selection of Army S Caleb Campbell, a former teammate of Matt Millen’s son, were throwaways.
Grade: B

Green Bay
The Packers did a very good job identifying scheme fits and clearly made an effort to upgrade the offense. Big, reliable WR Jordy Nelson should make Aaron Rodgers’ job easier. QBs Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn both have upside to develop. Some teams had removed Brohm from their draft boards for injury concerns, but he could provide insurance to play right away behind Rodgers. TE Jermichael Finley has upside. CB Patrick Lee and DE Jeremy Thompson were solid value picks and could develop into solid pros if they can stay focused. O-linemen Josh Sitton and Breno Giacomini both fit the Packers’ zone ground game well. Having traded down and been without a first-round pick, there is nothing flashy about this draft, and it may not provide a lot of immediate return, but it could eventually return as many as five starters.
Grade: B+

Minnesota
The Vikings finished with only five picks after trading away much of their draft for Jared Allen, who should considerably upgrade their biggest void at end, although they did pay a very steep price for him. S Tyrell Johnson could develop into a solid pro and eventually replace Darren Sharper. QB John David Booty was a solid fifth-round addition and could be a functional backup. DT Letroy Guion and C John Sullivan both have the size and strength the Vikings desire up front. WR Jaymar Johnson could benefit from the presence of, and rapport he had with, former college teammate Tarvaris Jackson.
Grade: B

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2008/teamgrades.htm

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B+, huh?
Cool.

Hard to go wrong though with 3 2nd round picks and 9 total picks. :)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like they know what they're talking about. Plus, I agree with any publication that says good things about the Packers.

Personally, I would never give Matt Millen a grade any higher than a C until he actually has a good draft, which he hasn't done yet.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Sounds like they know what they're talking about. Plus, I agree with any publication that says good things about the Packers.

What is impressive is it is a Chicago based publication.. speaks well of their thoughts on the Packers draft.. that is a weekly stop on my internet travels.. "whispers" is a must read. :wink:

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether they are based in Chicago or not, I have always felt that Pro Football Weekly was the Bible of the NFL, much like the Sporting News used to be for major league baseball. I thought the PFW draft guide was the best as well.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Personally, I would never give Matt Millen a grade any higher than a C until he actually has a good draft, which he hasn't done yet.

When you get the chance, ask Big3 what he has to say about Matt Millen.

Members online

Latest posts