Preseason TV Coverage Question...

packfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw on Packersnews.com that the game will be available to people with satellite dishes on broadcast coordinates, C-band, AMC-6, Transponder 23.

Anyone have a clue as to what that means? I have Directv and was wondering how that works?

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I would also like to know about the pre-season games. I have Direct-TV also, with the full Sunday Ticket Premium Package and all that. Does that mean I will be able to watch this game, and if show, how do I look ahead to see when it will be shown, etc. Thanks!!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Just saw on Packersnews.com that the game will be available to people with satellite dishes on broadcast coordinates, C-band, AMC-6, Transponder 23.

Anyone have a clue as to what that means? I have Directv and was wondering how that works?

Back in the day my father and I installed the old type satellite dishes. Pre-digital all cable was transmitted via analog signal, each satellite could handle 24 channels. So to carry the amount of channels that were available multiple satellites carried feeds. Your cable companies had one dish pointing towards each transponder that carried the desired channel. Hence the large number of physical dishes at your cable company.

Each transponder has a physical location in the sky, AMC is the dish name, channel 23. C-band dictates the wave frequency that the signal is carried on. Back in the day, the satellites were identified such as G1, G2 and so forth.

Back in the 80's if you bought a dish the channels were open and you could get them all. In the mid-80's encyption started so people that bought the dishes could be charged for the service. And the broadcasters viewership exploded because they could start to capitalize on the rural customers. However these dishes were a pain to maintain and were large and ugly in your yard.

With digital technology the appliance could be small and no moving parts on the outside. It also eliminated the need for all the different satellites to transmit the signal. However alot of companies still broadcast in analog as well, plus since there is a surplus of old technology the price went down and some "ham" operator types have taken to broadcasting on these old satellites.

Alot of the military channels for troops and such are still broadcast in analog as well. My guess this is the feed that they mentioned.

Sorry... I think the last analog dish I worked with was in maybe 1992, so names and some of the technology may have changed a bit.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know where everyone is located and how it relates to the satellite packages, but Packers.com says that three of the preseason games will be televised on the state affiliates which are;

WFRV-TV (Green Bay), WTMJ-TV (Milwaukee), WKOW/ABC, (Madison), WAOW/ABC (Wausau/Rhinelander) WXOW/ABC (La Crosse), WQOW/ABC, (Eau Claire), WYOW/ABC (Eagle River), WJMN/CBS (Marquette, MI) and KQDS-TV/FOX (Duluth, Minn).

The August 23rd game against the Jaguars will be a nationally televised game on FOX.

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I think your best bet is NFL network on Sunday evening. Don't believe DirecTV has the games on Ticket during the pre-season. That ended when the NFL network was born. They have the rights to re-air games from all NFL markets after the fact.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AHHH. I really hate the cable company I have. No NFL Network and no NFL Sunday Ticket. They aren't even options. I can't take the whole not knowing if I'll get to see a scheduled game, cause on FOX they'll show Rams games instead sometimes. I need to get a dish.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who don't get the game on local cable or satellite, here's something you may be able to try. It was posted by Larry over at PC and is something that is apparently working for others.

If you want to watch the game (and future games) here's something I've recently gotten into...

Go here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Inte...TVUPlayer.shtml

Download from the "External Mirror 1 - Beta" link.

Unzip/Install the TVUPlayer.

Go to this site: http://streamednfl.blogspot.com/ (exclusively NFL games)

or this site: http://www.myp2p.eu/index.htm (NFL games, plus soccer, MLB, college football/basketball, NBA, etc.)

Now, find any game with a "TVUPlayer" channel, click the channel, and the game will stream live, often in near-TV quality.

(Note: High speed internet is required to make this work)

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who don't get the game on local cable or satellite, here's something you may be able to try. It was posted by Larry over at PC and is something that is apparently working for others.

If you want to watch the game (and future games) here's something I've recently gotten into...

Go here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Inte...TVUPlayer.shtml

Download from the "External Mirror 1 - Beta" link.

Unzip/Install the TVUPlayer.

Go to this site: http://streamednfl.blogspot.com/ (exclusively NFL games)

or this site: http://www.myp2p.eu/index.htm (NFL games, plus soccer, MLB, college football/basketball, NBA, etc.)

Now, find any game with a "TVUPlayer" channel, click the channel, and the game will stream live, often in near-TV quality.

(Note: High speed internet is required to make this work)

Those are all separate programs?

edit: The 1st link doesn't work but the 2nd opend a program called sopcast for me. Do I just click on one of the things from the second link when the game is airing, which will then play it on sopcast?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry pf1245, but you're asking the wrong person. Not only don't I know anything about this, but with my stinkin dial-up internet access I can hardly even open up a pdf.

Hopefully someone else can answer your questions, or else jump over to PC, they have a thread on this topic there.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live near Madison, Wisconsin and have cable. The game will be on ABC for me Saturday at 6:30 live. I dont have a problem seeing any of the games since I live in Wisconsin besides NFL Network ones seeing as I dont have it. I wish you guys the best of luck in being able to watch it if you arent in Wisconsin. GO PACKERS!

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fox Sports Network-Pittsburgh is going to play this for me so I'll get to see it live. That makes me very happy.

Members online

Latest posts