Preseason games

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how you watch the preseason games. It's hard for me to keep track of all the newbies so I usually pick out a couple players and try to keep track of them to see how they p!ay.

How do you watch?

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be watching the offensive line because it is the weakest link right now. Also the wide receivers. On defense, I'll be checking out the two rookies, Walker and Wyatt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how you watch the preseason games. It's hard for me to keep track of all the newbies so I usually pick out a couple players and try to keep track of them to see how they p!ay.

How do you watch?
That's about what I do. Pick out a player and watch. I try not to focus on group play because it only takes 1 weak link to make them all look bad and this time of year that's a given. Someone isn't up to speed yet, isn't good enough or not yet, or they're going against someone that isn't good enough or 1st team against 2nd on other side etc. So just pick a couple players and focus on them .

Reaction score

How do you watch?
Are you asking how to watch games? Or how to watch more on a player level?

They say only about 5/49 contests are nationally televised. Several others on pat sites such as Amazon prime. Last year Amazon had the Thursday contests.
I’m 50% sure you can go to NFL.com if you authenticate with your cable logon info. If that’s not an option, I recall ESPN having some preseason games streamed last season. It’s always a mystery as they make it somewhat difficulty today imo. I’ve authenticated through the NFL.com. The ESPN app is free and is my backup and I’ve caught some steaming there last season.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all preseason games are only on NFL Network. The lines are good to watch especially on replay. But I pretty much follow the ball and what goes on close to it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm local so I get all the games but I don't zero in on specifics. Players or player groupings. Since most of the guys playing won't be around come September, it's like watching teams in the regular season that I don't have a rooting interest in anyway.

I'm not near the fan of the game that I used to be. I watch until I don't.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great question.

As gopkrs perfectly stated, there is the style of "following the ball" or watching specific aspects. When I watch regular season/playoff games, it's mostly following the ball. However, in the pre-season I am split more 50/50. I follow the ball but do often sit with a roster list so that I can pick out players based on their numbers. I hear and read good things about players like Romeo Doubs, TJ Slayton, Vernon Scott, and others (especially rookies). I want to watch each for a few plays here and there. I want to see how Deguara does. Are any of the WRs looking like a real #1?

OP
OP
GBkrzygrl

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They say only about 5/49 contests are nationally televised. Several others on pat sites such as Amazon prime. Last year Amazon had the Thursday contests.
I’m 50% sure you can go to NFL.com if you authenticate with your cable logon info. If that’s not an option, I recall ESPN having some preseason games streamed last season. It’s always a mystery as they make it somewhat difficulty today imo. I’ve authenticated through the NFL.com. The ESPN app is free and is my backup and I’ve caught some steaming there last season.

I was asking how do you watch the players? Do you keep track of a couple of plsyers, or a group?

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you watch?

I mostly try to watch the backup quarterbacks and players who either compete for a starting job or are supposedly on the roster bubble. I'm not interested in the team's overall performance at all.

Reaction score
I was asking how do you watch the players? Do you keep track of a couple of plsyers, or a group?
Gotcha.
I like to just take it all in first with the old eye test. Then see who stands out as exemplary on key plays. I sometimes rewatch a play once or twice to see the components of what made the play successful, nice blocks, stellar fakes or good feet etc..
On Defense I like seeing who puts themselves most consistently around that ball. Such as who is disruptive and stands out on the DL or Backfield. Last preseason we didn’t have anyone really “take the D stage” so to speak.

I thought in the past (non regular season) Rookie Khylin Hill and FA Devin Funchess just stood out like impact players on Offense. Malik Taylor was an honorable mention, always seemed to be where he was supposed to be.

Contrarily, 2021 PS, our ST averaged giving up like 40.0 per Kick return!
It was a brief glimpse of what would become one of the worst ST units I can remember. I’m watching ST very closely this preseason. I expect significant improved play, even in scrimmages.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F

How do you watch?
For the reasons you cited, I don't watch the PS games. Even if, say a rookie WR, is doing great, I have no idea about the quality of the defense he's facing. It's too much and the games don't count, so I pass. I will read the game summary the next day from sportswriters who are paid to watch for these things.

Reaction score
I watch, but I don't care about the players. I use the preseason games to try to work on my overreactions and figure out who should be fired and cut after halftime week 1.
This is pretty funny.
This would’ve been a perfect one liner for that Dad from “That 70’s Show”. Sounded like Red Forman !
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F

For the reasons you cited, I don't watch the PS games. Even if, say a rookie WR, is doing great, I have no idea about the quality of the defense he's facing. It's too much and the games don't count, so I pass. I will read the game summary the next day from sportswriters who are paid to watch for these things.
I feel the same way. In addition for me its pointless to get excited about a guy making a great play in a preseason game when there is a 99% chance he won't make the team anyway. IMO there are maybe 2 players per team who who play there way onto a roster in the preseason games. Most of those decisions are made in training camp practices.

Members online

Latest posts