Preseason Game 2 vs Jets

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m interested to see this competition at our #3 RB spot. Dexter vs Khylin is heating up and it might come down to preseason game #3.

There's no way Dexter should make the roster over Hill.

I really hope Barry is playing the most basic defense, because so far none of the corners have really challenged any wrs. Most of the dbs playing are scrubs..but..jeez..wide open every time.

The Packers didn't even play King, Alexander, Savage, Amos, Scott, Sullivan, Gary, Z. Smith, Campbell, P. Smith, Lowry, Lancaster and Clark and you really want to complain about the defensive coordinator already??? In addition all teams use vanilla schemes during the preseason anyway.

Yeah, but when was the last time we had an elite special teams unit in the regular season?

As mentioned here, no top 10 unit since 2007

Now, fair enough that you can't quite fairly grade a ST unit with scrubs playing any more than you could an offense or defense. But I can't honestly say I'm getting good vibes from things I'm seeing out there, and while Drayton says he's got a plan to turn this unit around, I'll only believe it when I see it.

I didn't agree with the Packers hiring Drayton as special teams coordinator either but it would be smart to wait until the regular season to evaluate his body of work. In addition it doesn't make any sense to bring up previous rankings when he wasn't in charge.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah probably. Only bad news is PR guys can be signed by other teams, and his body of work here could very well make him another team's backup candidate.

During the season teams can protect up to four players on the practice squad to sign with another team each week. It might be an issue getting Benkert on the PS in the first place though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hill is pretty much a lock already. Dexter is still on bubble at best

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely NOTHING interesting about any preseason game.
I just have a hard time getting excited about these games. Most of the kids now playing will not be around come September (or they'll be on the PS) so it is hard to discern how the team will perform once the starters play.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will add observations, I kinda like how Begelton returns the ball, want to see that more in the coming preseason games.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers didn't even play King, Alexander, Savage, Amos, Scott, Sullivan, Gary, Z. Smith, Campbell, P. Smith, Lowry, Lancaster and Clark and you really want to complain about the defensive coordinator already??? In addition all teams use vanilla schemes during the preseason anyway.
Even so, our defense absolutely stunk in both preseason games. I’m afraid it is going to be a long season.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't agree with the Packers hiring Drayton as special teams coordinator either but it would be smart to wait until the regular season to evaluate his body of work. In addition it doesn't make any sense to bring up previous rankings when he wasn't in charge.
Thanks captain obvious! I know most of these guys won't make the team..would be nice to see them get better opportunities to prove themselves.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just have a hard time getting excited about these games. Most of the kids now playing will not be around come September (or they'll be on the PS) so it is hard to discern how the team will perform once the starters play.
I normally haven't been either, I think part of it this year though was because I got a little eager to get back to football after last year's NFC championship and wanting to see fans in the stands again. Plus we all want to see if Love is our guy, so made this one a bit different.

I'm pretty sure though that we're all ready to get to the real games now.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even so, our defense absolutely stunk in both preseason games. I’m afraid it is going to be a long season.
But see you missed the whole point. You can't project how the defense will look based on preseason. Now I won't predict how well our real defense will look once week 1 gets here as this new Barry scheme has never been tried yet and could swing either way--better or worse than Pettine. But as Captain said, we've had neither the players nor the play calls on defense yet to know what we got.

Now with special teams, the alarm bells may be going off a little more as I do believe a number of these backups will be playing on the coverage units, and I've never heard of a special teams coach running vanilla kick or punt coverage schemes.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course not. That is not the point of them. I find them interesting and informative. I like easing the way into real games. Some guys will make this team or another because they got a chance (Malik Taylor for instance). And the running back situation clears up. Maybe we find a R guard. Certainly get better looks at the DBs. Attitudes can change about linebackers and maybe we don't call for someone's head prematurely. The 4th quarter not so much.

Reaction score

Really? Because Khylin was -2 rushing after Game #1?? Nice TD receiving, but his net performance was just ok for me. Ok maybe somewhat decent for a late 7th rounder etc.. I liked his burst there on the sideline. Good nose for the end zone.
Khylin has yet to prove to us he can handle the carry workload and pass blocking.
12/32 combined rushing yards in preseason doesn’t exactly give me goosebumps. His receiving game has been a nice surprise though. But a #3RB hes expected to have 3-way balance.

Dexter has improved and his 2021 debut was good 4X32yds. Dexters 12/54 is a more respectable ground game. But he stunk it up on 4th n 1 and we turned it over. That play set him back some for me. He needed 1 yard. Interesting note: The coaches said Dexter was the hardest working player so far this season and that’s quite a compliment. He needs to bring that home preseason game #3 and have a big day. Sometimes hard work pays off. Sometimes guys make rosters through unconventional ways.. they get dropped. They get resigned. They go PS. They go active. They go back PS. They go IR, they come back. Nobodies done until they’re done! Dexter Williams doesn’t need to accept a defeatist attitude. that’s true regardless of where he goes from here or if he ever plays a snap for us again. However I’m 100% sure if this., regardless of his outcome this season, if Dexter Williams turns up that defeatist attitude that he had zero chance because Khylin is too great an obstacle? He might as well pack his bags tonight.

What is it about Khylin Hill that makes him insurmountable for Dexter Williams?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't matter the defense struggled in both preseason games. The unit will feature completely different players and a much more complex scheme in week 1.

Thanks captain obvious! I know most of these guys won't make the team..would be nice to see them get better opportunities to prove themselves.

What's the point of complaining about the performance of a defense that will have nothing to do with the one the Packers will put on the field in New Orleans???
Really? Because Khylin was -2 rushing after Game #1?? Nice TD receiving, but his net performance was just ok for me. Ok maybe somewhat decent for a late 7th rounder etc.. I liked his burst there on the sideline. Good nose for the end zone.
Khylin has yet to prove to us he can handle the carry workload and pass blocking.
12/32 combined rushing yards in preseason doesn’t exactly give me goosebumps. His receiving game has been a nice surprise though. But a #3RB hes expected to have 3-way balance.

Dexter has improved and his 2021 debut was good 4X32yds. Dexters 12/54 is a more respectable ground game. But he stunk it up on 4th n 1 and we turned it over. That play set him back some for me. He needed 1 yard. Interesting note: The coaches said Dexter was the hardest working player so far this season and that’s quite a compliment. He needs to bring that home preseason game #3 and have a big day. Sometimes hard work pays off. Sometimes guys make rosters through unconventional ways.. they get dropped. They get resigned. They go PS. They go active. They go back PS. They go IR, they come back. Nobodies done until they’re done! Dexter Williams doesn’t need to accept a defeatist attitude. that’s true regardless of where he goes from here or if he ever plays a snap for us again. However I’m 100% sure if this., regardless of his outcome this season, if Dexter Williams turns up that defeatist attitude that he had zero chance because Khylin is too great an obstacle? He might as well pack his bags tonight.

I don't consider taking a look at individual stats during the preseason to be a smart approach to make roster decisions. In my opinion there's no doubt that Hill is a better player than Dexter.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kylin's upside is much much higher than that of Dexter's IMO. Dexter doesn't have break away speed, never did even at his time in Notre Dame IMO. He is adequate but nothing special in the receiving game. I've said it before Dexter is the type of RB you love to keep in your house somewhere, preferably on the practice squad - because he is familiar, adequate in numerous facets of the game and does have the ability to be "solidly adequate" when asked to deliver. His floor is on average higher than many #3 or #4 guys you keep - but his ceiling is nearly the same. All just my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dexter has done nothing to make me think we should keep him and he's done a few things in a few seasons that made me think he's lucky to be on the roster in the absence of doing something special.

Hill has taken opportunity and done something with it and just watching him, he looks the part. I don't know how else to say it. Kind of like the difference between JWilliams and Jones. Jones had a little something you could see Williams didn't in the running part of the game.

Not to undersell Williams because he was a capable runner and he did all the other things great. Ball security, pass protection, pass catching etc. Something I haven't seen D.Williams come close to approaching.

Reaction score
I don't consider taking a look at individual stats during the preseason to be a smart approach to make roster decisions. In my opinion there's no doubt that Hill is a better player than Dexter.
See that’s what’s great here isn’t it? We can each form opinions. Your opinion is no more valuable than others’ (even when it gets portrayed that way) ;)

But it comes across that way when you falsely insert points I never made. Then that opinion jab was presumptuous at best.. had I not mentioned the coaches view of Dexter.. btw which is far more important than your opinion because they ultimately make the roster decisions, not you or myself.

listen Captain, I have no problem with Khylin making #3 RB if he’s the most complete player. I’ve even picked him as the most likely to surprise in another thread. However saying that no other RB has a chance at #3 over him is a bit over the top isn’t it? Doesn’t matter who makes the roster, they all have chance imo.

you act like if Dexter ran for 10X75 yards snd 2TDs and Khylin fumbled 2X and rushed fir -2 next week, that Dexter wouldn’t have any chance? Let’s get real here. Maybe you should call Dexter and tell him not to suit up he’s done in GB forever. Lol.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See that’s what’s great about forums like this. We can each form opinions. Yours tends to be portrayed as “more important” than others with jabs like that. That part is very? Well let’s say very George Strait “believe me it ain’t cool” :coffee:

Captain has a way of doing so....I always hoped it was more a lost in translation type thing, but I think sometimes he really truly just looks down on everyone.

D

Deleted member 6794

See that’s what’s great here isn’t it? We can each form opinions. Your opinion is no more valuable than others’ (even when it gets portrayed that way) ;)

But it comes across that way when you falsely insert points I never made. Then that opinion jab was presumptuous at best.. had I not mentioned the coaches view of Dexter.. btw which is far more important than your opinion because they ultimately make the roster decisions, not you or myself.

listen Captain, I have no problem with Khylin making #3 RB if he’s the most complete player. I’ve even picked him as the most likely to surprise in another thread. However saying that no other RB has a chance at #3 over him is a bit over the top isn’t it? Doesn’t matter who makes the roster, they all have chance imo.
Captain has a way of doing so....I always hoped it was more a lost in translation type thing, but I think sometimes he really truly just looks down on everyone.

Geez, it's hilarious how many people can't cope with someone else not considering their approach a smart one :rolleyes:

Just for the record, I definitely don't consider my opinion to be more important than any other poster. But at least I don't get offended every single time another poster dares to disagree with me.

Back on topic, I'm not suggesting there aren't any other running backs out there capable of providing a better option than Hill as the team's #3 running back but in my opinion Dexter is not one of them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, it's hilarious how many people can't cope with someone else not considering their approach a smart one :rolleyes:

Just for the record, I definitely don't consider my opinion to be more important than any other poster. But at least I don't get offended every single time another poster dares to disagree with me.

Back on topic, I'm not suggesting there aren't any other running backs out there capable of providing a better option than Hill as the team's #3 running back but in my opinion Dexter is not one of them.

It is never about disagreement Captain, at least for me it has never been about that one bit. Numerous disagree here, however it is when clearly a discussion of unknown and no definitive knowledge yet exists how definitively you discuss and dismiss things. I've learned to deal with it most of the time, and as you know if I feel passionately enough I'll continue to question and discuss AND admit when I was wrong (that CBA thing is the best memory of something I can think of).

D

Deleted member 6794

It is never about disagreement Captain, at least for me it has never been about that one bit. Numerous disagree here, however it is when clearly a discussion of unknown and no definitive knowledge yet exists how definitively you discuss and dismiss things. I've learned to deal with it most of the time, and as you know if I feel passionately enough I'll continue to question and discuss AND admit when I was wrong (that CBA thing is the best memory of something I can think of).

I clearly mentioned that in my opinion Hill is the better player than Dexter. I have no idea how anyone considers that as me definitively discussing and dismissing things.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I clearly mentioned that in my opinion Hill is the better player than Dexter. I have no idea how anyone considers that as me definitively discussing and dismissing things.

Trust me my post while in this discussion was more based on other times, I never read your Dexter vs Hill one as such.

FTR personally Hill IMO is already better than Dexter and has a much much higher ceiling than him to boot!

Reaction score
But at least I don't get offended every single time another poster dares to disagree with me.
For the record I (or anyone else I’ve seen)don’t get offended EVERY single time you disagree. Heck, you make it sound like we “dare” or rarely disagree with you but I personally disagree with you often, I just don’t want to bicker, I get enough of that with my wife. :roflmao:

But isn’t it interesting when YOU get called out in the same fashion? it becomes redirected back and everyone’s suddenly in the wrong, rather than just a polite “I apologize I didn’t intend it”
It stands to reason that if multiple people are having the same problem then their just might be something to it.

That said, I enjoy your input, it often keeps me honest. I’ve even went out of my way to research something recently, knowing in the back of my mind all along you’d be naturally critical of it.. there’s a place for criticism if it’s done constructively. That extra research to back my post made me stronger and I appreciate that, but also we all need to be held in check every so often.
Carry on Captain

Hey, I like Khylin. If he has a better top side then I’m totally for him. You seem impressed and that in itself says a lot as you don’t hand out compliments very often for young players. I’m hoping his ground game improves and his forte was making second level defenders miss (we saw that in his receiving game) Hill is certainly a scrappy runner, maybe with better blocking he’ll get second level and do his thing. Also seeing notable pass blocking is important to me and I don’t recall seeing that thus far. We lost a very solid blocker in Jamaal and we can’t afford to let our QB get assaulted. I’d like to see Khylin in position for a 1 on 1 block on an island against a blitzing LB etc.. then I’ll start handing out final grades.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with many of the comments about individual players. We are looking good at many of the backup spots.

I disagree with those who don't understand how the Packers are approaching the preseason in the modern era. The final score and general performance have little to do with how we will do this season. For example, if on a 3rd down play when (insert no-name player) gives up a big play, I am more interested in how the guys who have a chance at making the roster perform. If Slayton provided pressure, Stokes blanketed his guy, and Heflin hustled down the line of scrimmage, I couldn't give two ***** if we gave up 12 yards or a TD. Some of you look at that and say that our new DC's system is questionable.

For that matter, look back at when Capers and others took over as defensive coordinator. There will be some adjusting to the calls and changes. It might be ugly for the first part of the season. If someone starts the "Fire Barry" thread prior to Week 6, they ought to get permanently banned from this forum.

Reaction score
I agree with many of the comments about individual players. We are looking good at many of the backup spots.

I disagree with those who don't understand how the Packers are approaching the preseason in the modern era. The final score and general performance have little to do with how we will do this season. For example, if on a 3rd down play when (insert no-name player) gives up a big play, I am more interested in how the guys who have a chance at making the roster perform. If Slayton provided pressure, Stokes blanketed his guy, and Heflin hustled down the line of scrimmage, I couldn't give two ***** if we gave up 12 yards or a TD. Some of you look at that and say that our new DC's system is questionable.
I agree. Let’s get all the mistakes out and use the time to test various player or game theories.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.