Preseason Game 1 vs Texans

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm wondering if they're featuring Funchess and looking for a trade. He played well into the game.

Adams, Cobb, MVS, Lazard, Rodgers... not a whole lot of room for Funchess, and I'm sure if they kept a 6th guy it would be largely for teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well I'd say that'll probably about do it for tonight

So as to the things to grade ...

Jordan Love - well he wasn't great but he wasn't too bad either. This was the first meaningful action he saw and I thought he did alright considering that. As Gute said, he's got a ways to go but I actually have a pretty good feeling about him. Just needs more time to develop.

Josh Jackson - I think he needs to be cut by the final deadline. Man isn't a rookie anymore and I just feel like at this point we've seen the best that we're going to see out of him.

Jace Sternberger definitely stays at TE2. Especially since Deguara did nothing tonight.

Burks - stay healthy and I think our front 7 could be very good this year

OL - the run blocking must get better

1) Nice post! Measured, reasonable takes, an appropriate amount of lower case. I like it.

2) I’d say that Sternberger getting that much playing time in preseason week one means he’s solidly behind Deguara when it comes to making the roster. My guess is that he needs to fight off Dafney and hope they choose to keep four guys. Because Tonyan, Lewis, and Deguara are all guys very likely to make it who all have very defined roles.

3) I wonder how much longer Packer fans have held out hope for Jackson than they would have otherwise simply because the PFF draft guys hyped him to kingdom come.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Very disappointing outing for Runyan. He seems like he’s in the lead for LG while Bakh is out but we will see if that holds. 3T’s were consistently getting his edge on the inside shoulder.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a great night for the Packers.

Players who stood out to me:
Funchess
Ento
Hill
Black
Scott

Burks is getting a lot of love, but his sack he was unblocked. His issue has been he is easy to block. Hope things are different for him, but I remain skeptical.

Love looked promising. He shows poise and athleticism. I would say on his passes he needs to use more touch. I know this was his first pro action, and it's certainly something to build on.

I'm very disappointed in the special teams. The excuse that it's all a bunch of rookies and the ST lineup will be different for regular season doesn't hold. The other team is in the same position.

I'm also disappointed in our depth on the lines. We got beat on both sides of the ball. And Houston is a weak team.

Oh well. Onto the next week.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Jackson had a rough night by what I read, but i only watched a part and the part I did, he had 2 pretty decent plays that I saw. Didn't see anything too bad during that stretch either. But I probably 15 minutes of a 60 minute game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Texans are a weird preseason opponent. They’re one of the worst teams in the NFL, but Caserio stuffed them full of mediocre veterans this offseason.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fourth Possession:

Still waiting for Love to use his feet. Both the 3rd and 4th Down plays were destined for an athletic QB.
I can see no upside for Love to run in a preseason game. I'll bet he was told not to run no matter what.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch the whole game. I thought Love did Ok. I'm willing to cut him some slack because he is still a rookie in my eyes. As others have said some good plays, some not so good.

I only saw Jackson have 1 or 2 decent plays. Otherwise, meh. I don't think he makes the team.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I was a little disappointed that Rodgers did not have a better game. Maybe it was first game jitters, but so far not impressed.

Special teams *sigh* Can't they do better than this?

I thought Funchess played well. Sure is making a bid to make the team or someone else's team.

I have to keep reminding myself that these are mostly back-up players. So taking a wait and see approach. If they start to look better next week, then I'll be pleased with the back-ups.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a poster mentioned above, Houston is weird. They played a lot of vets against our team last night. That said, and take it with a grain of salt as it's the preseason... the Pack got punched in the mouth.

The positives: Burks looked good for once. Funchess has glue for hands. Love has a strong arm and his throws were accurate for the most part, sometimes just a yard or two short or deep. He wasn't afraid to throw over the middle. Hill probably earned the 3rb spot unless he sucks the next two games. Sternberger looked to be getting open.

Negatives: Amari Rodgers caught well, but he's going to get crushed in the NFL if he can't find more space. He took some hard hits. The secondary couldn't defend the sidelines. Special teams were horrible, again.

Reaction score
How do teams decide in preseason on which players to cut or keep?

So a player looks average in practice, then goes out and screws up in a preseason game,
does that automatically give him a ticket out of town?

Players get better with playing time so how do they choose to keep them on the pay roll or not??

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston has a née coach and other things going on. Preseason will be different for them. Not surprising they play a lot of “vets” because they need to come together as a team.
GB has ben to back to back NFCCG’s. They’re in a different place. They’ll use the preseason differently than the Texans. It’s all about the new guys and what they can do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston has a née coach and other things going on. Preseason will be different for them. Not surprising they play a lot of “vets” because they need to come together as a team.
GB has ben to back to back NFCCG’s. They’re in a different place. They’ll use the preseason differently than the Texans. It’s all about the new guys and what they can do.
I’ve never used née in my life, don’t even know what it is or how to get the little ****ing line above it yet my autocorrect keeps correcting N E W to née

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jace Sternberger definitely stays at TE2. Especially since Deguara did nothing tonight.

I don't think Deguara will play til the 3rd game, if at all. Remember it hasn't been even a full year yet since his injury. The Packers are being cautious. We knew Tonyan/Lewis wouldn't play for sure, so somebody has to be out there.

I'm wondering if they're featuring Funchess and looking for a trade. He played well into the game.

The Packers didn't have enough WRs without him, they worked out 3 WRs this week to try and field a full set.

Burks is getting a lot of love, but his sack he was unblocked. His issue has been he is easy to block. Hope things are different for him, but I remain skeptical.

The sack was unblocked but he was involved in just about every play, he's processing/playing faster.
I can see no upside for Love to run in a preseason game. I'll bet he was told not to run no matter what.

Maybe. That perspective would hold more weight if he was actually the Packers starting QB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Deguara will play til the 3rd game, if at all. Remember it hasn't been even a full year yet since his injury. The Packers are being cautious. We knew Tonyan/Lewis wouldn't play for sure, so somebody has to be out there.

The Packers didn't have enough WRs without him, they worked out 3 WRs this week to try and field a full set.

The sack was unblocked but he was involved in just about every play, he's processing/playing faster.

Maybe. That perspective would hold more weight if he was actually the Packers starting QB.
At least for now, he is the future. And preseason doesn't mean a thing except to get a look at players in competition with another team. It is not predictive of the season. I was thinking it is a good exercise for Love to watch and see if a receiver can get untangled and open. I think yesterday was a day for staying in the pocket. Did not see him roll out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

That might be true for the 90 man roster but not the 53.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sixth Possession and Defense:

Can't fault Love necessarily, he did step up in the pocket, but he seems scared to take off and run with it. He had a first down in front of him seems like.

Ento's gonna stick around seems like, as a converted WR I expect every ball that hits his hands to be a pick.

Seventh Possession and Defense:

Awash
They usually convert WR's to CB because they can't catch the ball.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Prefacing everything I'm about to say with "it's the first preseason game"...

But I will say I liked what I saw from Love. His arm talent was on display with that sweet toss to Sternberger across the middle of the field. He was comfortable in the pocket for the most part, and made good decisions when forced to bolt from the pocket.

The heave on the busted play action play I'm 50/50 on. Some could say he needlessly put the ball in harms way, but others could say that he put the ball where only (I believe Funchess?) could get it.

To my eye, his footwork has improved, but still has a ways to go.

Doesn't have the most fluid looking drop back, but that'll hopefully change with more reps and not thinking as much about what he needs to do immediately post snap.

The most impressive part was the way he kept his eyes downfield and was able to sort of feel the pressure and adjust from there. That would obviously be different than playing at New Orleans week 1, but he's obviously not ready for that yet.

If you're looking for reasons to be encouraged, there were encouraging signs. And he really didn't put a lot of negative signs on display. But it's early on and we will see what happens from here.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They usually convert WR's to CB because they can't catch the ball.

They usual make that switch in college, not the NFL. Ento was just trying to make an NFL roster. When he came out of Colorado he told teams he was willing to play WR or CB. He recently mentioned he preferred to play CB.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm very disappointed in the special teams. The excuse that it's all a bunch of rookies and the ST lineup will be different for regular season doesn't hold. The other team is in the same position.

Well, at only 233 lbs, you're not usually going to be knocking 300 plus lb linemen back. A few lbs less and you could almost make him a LB/SS hybrid like Morgan Burnett used to be here.

Like I said, he just needs to stay healthy and he can be a contributor. It's early yet but I think Barry will call defensive plays that are a little more aggressive for the ILB unlike what Pettine did.

As to special teams ... I didn't like that we just promoted an insider who had been here for years. I know rumor was that other teams were interested in him though I gotta wonder why considering our units have been anything but dominant. I don't use preseason as a baseline for predictions in this area, but if I had to speculate, it definitely would seem that little if anything is going to change in this department from what we saw the last several years.

D

Deleted member 6794

3) I wonder how much longer Packer fans have held out hope for Jackson than they would have otherwise simply because the PFF draft guys hyped him to kingdom come.

There's no way Jackson should make the roster. I would prefer the Packers to keep one of the youngsters instead.

Sounds like Jackson had a rough night by what I read, but i only watched a part and the part I did, he had 2 pretty decent plays that I saw. Didn't see anything too bad during that stretch either. But I probably 15 minutes of a 60 minute game.

I think Jackson gave up about five completions in the first quarter. He's just not good enough to play in a regular season game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was still driving then and between radio stations, didn't see or really hear any of the game to start.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me three. That was kind of *the* thing that set this website apart from other Packers boards. Going to gravitate to more trafficked boards in the absence of something to set this place apart.

Members online

Latest posts