Preseason Game 1 vs Texans

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't usually been tuned into preseason games much over the last 8 years or so, but this year's preseason games do have some interesting developments I want to see. I got three things I want to see in particular:

1. How Jordan Love is able to handle the speed of the game. Obviously we can't jump to any conclusions based on one preseason game, but you can get a rough idea of what you might expect from a future QB here.

2. How AJ Dillon has progressed in his 2nd year. Looking for things like his pass protection skills and ball security.

3. And last but not least how Eric Stokes performs on the field hopefully on par with what we saw out of Alexander in his rookie year

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be looking at Love and stokes as well in addition to . . .

RB Hill. He really looked interesting out there on family night. I had forgotten about him during the draft and was shocked when we picked him. Thought he was a 4th round pick.

WRs. All of them. Great position battle at the 4th thru 7th WR. Rooting for the underdog, Winfrey. Hope he can build on his practice success.

ILBs man I hope we have some improvement there. It's been a long time since we had playmaking ability there.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....not wanting to leave out any positions, I do actually want to see how the TE competition between Dugara and Sternberger shakes out. I want to see how how the O-line starts to gel through a few games, and I want to see how Slanton does on the DL.

To really not leave anything out, I also want to see how special teams perform under Maurice Drayton. Early reports during the workouts sounded positive, but this is where the rubber meets the road.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB Hill. He really looked interesting out there on family night. I had forgotten about him during the draft and was shocked when we picked him. Thought he was a 4th round pick.

Ah, I missed family night, but yeah this does add another twist. My money is still on Dillon being the solid #2, but I don't mind this guy challenging him a little to make sure he keeps going at 100.

To really not leave anything out, I also want to see how special teams perform under Maurice Drayton. Early reports during the workouts sounded positive, but this is where the rubber meets the road.

Yeah, obviously we all want to know whether hiring Barry and Drayton are going to prove to pay off. Unfortunately I don't think we're going to get the answer to that until about midseason just given what I've seen with special teams in the past.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....not wanting to leave out any positions, I do actually want to see how the TE competition between Dugara and Sternberger shakes out. I want to see how how the O-line starts to gel through a few games, and I want to see how Slanton does on the DL.

Burning rubber is strongly frowned upon in Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood - also we need to re-sign Barty Smith and Dave Roller, as they were rudely shown the door 40 years ago

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, I missed family night, but yeah this does add another twist. My money is still on Dillon being the solid #2, but I don't mind this guy challenging him a little to make sure he keeps going at 100.
Yeah, Dillon is the clear #2. I am only thinking who will be the 3rd. Jones misses time each season so we need a good #3. Even if he is okay, I think we can have Hill taking some carries to keep Jones fresh and not lose too much offensively.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Dillon is the clear #2. I am only thinking who will be the 3rd. Jones misses time each season so we need a good #3. Even if he is okay, I think we can have Hill taking some carries to keep Jones fresh and not lose too much offensively.
I have not had the opportunity to watch Hill but all reports are very good. I do think his pass blocking will have to be effective.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what Love can do. Of course, we've had backup QBs perform well in preseason before, and it didn't pan out to anything. I guess if he stinks it up, it's not a good sign.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be a perfect time to start Jorden Love in a real game in front of the fans.
I'm hoping he does well just in case A-rod threatens to jump the fence again.
Well, kinda depends on how you define "real game". Obviously preseason games don't count on the schedule and you aren't using the same kinds of game plans here as you are in regular season games. But certainly interested in seeing things like Love's mechanics and accuracy.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be looking at Love and stokes as well in addition to . . .

WRs. All of them. Great position battle at the 4th thru 7th WR. Rooting for the underdog, Winfrey. Hope he can build on his practice success.

ILBs man I hope we have some improvement there. It's been a long time since we had playmaking ability there.

I think most of the 4-7 WRs are injured, though, right? Don't think we'll be seeing Funchess or Winfree or St. Brown tonight, sadly. I could be wrong, though, my info is old and shaky. Like me.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the appetizer before the entree's

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First Possession:

Kylin Hill as a returner? I'm confident in him not fumbling, but I'm pretty sure we have a more dynamic athlete on the roster.

Sternberger is athletic enough to make a guy miss, was hoping he'd at least take him for a 2-3 yard ride.

Love forced that throw to Rodgers in double coverage, meh. WRs look like they might get dominated in this matchup so far.

OL looked good though.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I liked what I saw of Burks there. If he stays healthy for once I definitely think he can be a contributor.

But Josh Jackson ... I gotta think his time is about up.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First Defense:

Houston knows Jackson is the weak link and will ride him down the field. Am I the only person in the free world who knows Jackson needs to move to Safety? Why does he have to go to another team for that to happen? It was even in his Draft profile.

Nice to see Burks playing with some fire. But where are the other LBs?

Black will be the "third safety" this year. Bye-Bye Redmond hopefully.

DL looks meh, as expected.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Second Possession:

This defense is dominating these WRs, Love has nowhere to go. But Love you're not the starter, use those feet!!!! Extend the play!!!!

Dillon will have no running room because with the Texans comfortable in Man, they'll send an extra blitzer every play to either fill the lanes or get after the QB.

OL hanging tough to give him that extra second to try to find somebody.

ST still crap. Eliminates a noteworthy punt.

Members online

Latest posts